counturchickens

Veggies struggling?

Snails got to all my veggies a few weeks ago :evil: so with that and the rubbish weather, mine aren't doing great either :( .

Very cross about my carrots though - I bought one of those packets with a strip of tape with seeds on it (thinking that you have to discard so many perhaps this would be a more efficient method). Not a single carrot has appeared :evil: . I'm thinking of complaining to the company - I planted them really carefully, as per the instructions.

I'm having a dreadful year - courgettes chewed to bits by the slugs and snails which have appeared in droves after the incessant wet. The broad beans are still pathetic (not many in the shops either). The runners are doing well as are the spuds. I'm finding it quite depressing :(

Mine are struggling too.

The cucumbers have been eaten so I have put temp cloches made of old 2 litre lemonade bottles with the bottoms cut off over them, and they seem to be fighting back and have new leaves.

My carrots have been rubbish too. How long ago did you sew the seeds ANH? I only ask as the seeds that did grow (and promptly got dug up by the hens) too over 3 weeks to grow.

Radishes are doing well as are my little gem lettuces.

I tried to grow toms from seeds but that failed as well so I shall be getting some plants and a grow bag to go in my green house.

The broad-beans are doing ok though covered in black fly despite me nipping the tips off.

The French beans are mere stumps having been eaten by something. Do slugs and snails like them? I didn't think they did.

Everything else is growing in the garden and for once looks very verdant :D

I've had really problems with germination this year 4 packets of carrot 2 packets of parsnips 3 packets of beetroot about 10 varieties of spuds 9 varieties of toms all failed as did all 3 of my club root resistant brassicas. all sown just after the weekend of the eddible garden show I've sown 20+ seeds of courgettes and marrow with only 4 courgette seeds germinating 2 got chomped just as the growning tip started to grow the other 2 never shed the seed case all the seed was new seed some off the toms and squash seed the did grow were 2 or 3 years

Its not a good year ,is it?

My carrots are very slow this year - the first lot got washed away in the rain we had :roll:

Courgettes are fine - should pick my first ones in a week or so,but I lost 2 Potatoes to the rain as well.

My peas have been terrible - they grew to a foot tall,cropped & died :roll:

Normally they are 4foot tall before they crop,so I don't know what went on there,but its early enough for me to put some more in at the weekend anyhow.

My Cucumbers are thriving in the greenhouse...I have sown mini ones this year & all the plants have loads of fruits on them, & the Tomatoes are looking ok too.

Ditto to the blackfly on the broad beans :twisted:

things are faring not too badly here, I have had a few things sulk but this current warm wet spell seems to be getting things moving again but a population explosion of rabbits (living under my shed :wall: ) means that an awful lot has been munched so virtually everything is netted which makes it look a bit ugly :(

My carrots have been rubbish too. How long ago did you sew the seeds ANH? I only ask as the seeds that did grow (and promptly got dug up by the hens) too over 3 weeks to grow.

Quite a few weeks ago so I'm not expecting anything now :( . Oh well, I've got 2 courgette plants that need a bed, so they can go in there :roll: .

I've got 2 tomato plants in the kitchen - one has loads of fruit on it the other hasn't got a single one. What's that about :? ?

We are having a mixed year, rhubarb has been fantastic, broad beans have grown ok but as others have said they are now plastered in blackfly, we have another crop coming along behind. 1st sowing of French beans were very slow and have made weak plants, i sowed another lot a couple of weeks ago and have had a near 100% germination rate as i have with the pumpkins that i put in at the same time. I did put these in pots in the greenhouse though. i have patchy carrots hardly any parsnips, and beetrrot are really struggling. I have grown all of my brassicas in pots and kost are now plated out. the first sowing of swedes got washed out of their pots as water gushed of the guttering around the house, we refilled the pots with compost and amazingly they have largely redcovered and are now in the ground at the allotment. salad bowl lettuce is growing ok but everything else is struggling. i have one marrow plant with set fruits, but the courgettes are not happy with the cool conditions, but no doubt we will still be inundated at some stage. :roll:

Oh and I am not thriving in the cool damp conditions either :(

Mixed results here as well.....

For the first time ever all my tomato plants grew and I haven't had to buy any - 70 plants in the polytunnel and 10 outside all growing well.

One area of peas just haven't germinated well but two others are doing really well.

Planted courgette plants out after hardening off well - I usually check for signs of slug damage and only use pet and bird friendly slug pellets if needed, this year I didn't have any nibbled plants, just 4 out of 8 plants totally decimated overnight!

Runner and dwarf beans all doing well, potatoes doing well, sweetcorn had a big sulk after planting but have just perked up over the last couple of days.

Carrots are really slow and tiny.

Hundreds of Little Gem lettuce all ready at the same time!

Overwintered garlic is looking really good - onions are doing well although the weeds are twice as high and I haven't been able to hoe them because of all the rain.

Rhubarb abundant - please don't mention rhubarb!

Strawberries doing well and plenty of raspberries to come.

Hundreds of Little Gem lettuce all ready at the same time!

Overwintered garlic is looking really good - onions are doing well although the weeds are twice as high and I haven't been able to hoe them because of all the rain.

Your hens will be happy with the lettuce mine prefer little gem to anything else, and my onions are in the same state, we have weeded some but loads more to do. OH bought 25kg of onions from the cash and carry he uses for the office the other day and they cost the hefty sum of £3.50 which is bo encouragement to the hours it takes to plant and look after our own. :roll:

I was going to ask the same question! My salad leaves have usually progressed much more by now! My courgettes have hardly grown at all, but one variety - Diamant, appears at last to have some microscopic signs of flowers, so hopefully something will be on the way in a few weeks. I'll be really cross if the slugs get them now :evil:

My broad beans and runner beans are also struggling to put on any growth. My first sowing of carrots and spring onions has come to nothing, I've sowed some more seeds today. Fingers crossed for germination this time!

Our runner beans have completely gone (I think it was the really heavy winds accompanied by masses on hard rain that finished them off!) The pumpkin seeds that I planted however are looking like sturdy little plants. Has anyone got any tips about growing them in limited space? Usually I let them sprawl down the garden but I think the girls (Ginny especially) would think it was open catering! :D

Aurora GNR Bellatrix GNR Ginny GNR Mineva GNR Trelawney GNR(cube purple)

Alice (Bluebelle) Bella (Bluebelle)