Mr Rhode Island Red

Old forum members "dying off"

I agree about similar topics coming round again and do admire those who answer the same questions again and again. All the same I love the Omlet forum, especially the warm feeling I get from the chicken area (and now the duck area too), more so than the Nesting box. I've joined Facebook but I far prefer Omlet. It seems so friendly. I think OH is jealous of it :lol:

Still here :lol:

Like Debs I lurk in the crafty section more but I like to go in chicken bit sometimes because I remember what a godsend it was to me getting support when new to chickenning and the eglu and cube bit was fantastic when planning my run. Long live the runs section :dance:

Hello Omleteers old and new, this is a good place. :D

I found it really useful when I was new to keeping hens and very quickly discovered The Nestbox too :)

Having posted one or two posts I was told off for there I have kept my head down.

I'm still here though :) and whereas there are many better informed re hens than me I try to help with Bees.

I don't think you kept your head down much with over 4000 posts :lol:

I'm a speech and language therapist and recently gave some advice on how to work on an articulation difficulty AND how to deal with a broody hen - all in the same session. I wouldn't have been able to help about the latter without having been a forum member ( BTW,The speech therapy advice was for a child... :oops: )

:D

Hmm, not sure I'd describe myself as "dying off", more moving on maybe. For me I'd been a very enthusiastic contributor to the forum for several years, logged on several times a day, got involved, arguably sometimes over involved in forum goings on and made some amazing friends. But then my life changed, dramatically, when we emigrated. Suddenly I realised than I needed to get out & make new friends or else I was going to have a very lonely, unsocial life over here since I didn't know anyone in NZ except my husband & children. So I logged off & went out & started joining things & meeting people. Since I no longer keep chickens, or watch British TV, or even really keep up with British news any more suddenly I was finding that most of the general chatter on the forum didn't really engage me any more. I very rarely log on these days, only it's a wet, windy, winter evening here now & I'm idly browsing the net & relaxing in front of the fire, in preference to getting of my bottom & preparing tea! But I have made some amazing friends through Omlet, whom I try to keep in touch with on Facebook, & I was even lucky enough to be able to meet up with a couple of ex forum friends when I was back in the UK on holiday in May. In retrospect I went through a stage where the forum assumed too much importance in my life, & I feel happier, & in many ways healthier, now that it's only a teeny tiny part of my life, but I will always be grateful for the friendships I made here.

Life does very much go on, even after the forum starts to lose it's appeal or relevance!

I don't come on very much now...just to have a look every now and then.

I used to be priviledged enough to work around the corner from where I live but after our rotten, evil county council started closing our schools, I've had to move to a school which is an hours drive away from where I live. I don't have the time to come on much and sadly I don't have as much time for my girls so I am letting numbers drop naturally. This is the firat year since I've had chickens that I haven't bought or hatched any new ones.

I still have two of my original brahmas, Lauren the cochin and Mrs. Beeton the naughty and very much over indulged pekin.

Is it me or has Mr Rhode Island Red actually managed to engineer a virtual Omleteer reunion here??? THere seems to be lots of posters I remember seeing when I first joined such as Janty and Cookie(monster) that I haven't 'seen' for a long while. In fact Cooks what happened to that friend of yours from the same area whose name I can't remember. All I know is that she joined after me and suddenly got lots of chickens and a walk- in run quite quickly- or so it seemed to me.

Are you meaning Falkor?? Previously known as Palmer.. With some numbers I can't remember :lol: If your meaning her, she's about! :lol: busy bee though so not much time to post. :wink:

jan I am CookieMonster, Christian shortened me!! :lol: I did ask him to :lol: *waves at Christian*