Mr Rhode Island Red

Old forum members "dying off"

I was just looking through some of my first ever posts on the forum in the "View your posts" section. And I noticed some avatars and names that I haven't seem in a long time. People that I remembered to be regulars(addicts :anxious: ) on here, are nowhere to be found nowadays.

I, myself, was absent for a few months on here while I addicted myself to facebook :roll: but now I have returned :mrgreen:

I was wondering why people suddenly leave the forum? I know that many users just come on to have a look around, and not post, but do people just forget about it?

I think as people's lives change, their habits change.

I know I am not on as much as I used to be due to the busy pace of life (although rarely a day goes by where I don't pop on if only for a minute or two).

I also find the sections I'm in have changed. I used to spend time in Chickens and Chicken Clinic soaking up as much information as I could get. Now I'm in Crafty fingers more as I have started knitting again, and am in Self Sufficency due to the allotment.

I dont post much these days but often pop in to the nesting box and have a quick scan through. From my point of view there are a number of reasons I dont come on here much. When I first joined I was reasonably new to Chicken Keeping so sucked up everything I could regards tips and advice. A lot of the friends I made have migrated to Facebook and we have a 'thing' going on over there and keep in touch this way and Im probably busier now than I was 5 years ago. You do tend to see the same subjects coming around again when you have been here for a bit :lol:

Those Forum members who endlessly answer the same questions over and over again in the Chicken sections need a great big round of applause for services to Chicken keeping :dance::D

I joined the forum late in 2009, and I don't know why I failed to participate until more recently.

I think it was because I had chickens in the UK, in a WIR with a cute wooden house and at that time was looking to get a cube. I moved to Ireland, and have had the cube for a while, but had no chickens in it, because we have been renovating our house (If you are thinking of doing this by the way... take a deep breath first).

We now have the house in order, a small section of vegetable garden too, and have now also got the ladies installed :)

I like the forum... I get a chuckle and good advice here.

I sadly had to sell my cube & the chickens after I was made redundant on Christmas eve. The beauty of it was that they hold their value & I had enough to tide me over for a month or so. I'll get a new one when I'm financially able to; that's why I'm not on here so much as I am chickenless atm. Then there is the issue with Pinterest too :lol:

Everyday I quickly look through The Nesting Box to see what everyone's up to. I very rarely look through the chicken sections now, as Space Chick said, I now know more about keeping chickens and don't need advice all the time!

Also, I've been busy with things like exams etc :)

I usually pop on most days too but dont always post, i think it is like an organic thing. First you come on for advice then you come on and give advice and then the people you gave advice to give advice to other newbies and so it goes on, I think it was the best place for me to come for advice when i first started and still is by far the best forum for beginners.

There are a few members I remember well too. One that sticks in my mind is Fairy&Cake. We weren't friends outside of the forum, but her business venture & chit chat fascinated me. I often wonder what happened to her.

I have no intentions of going anywhere. I'm afraid you're stuck with me! :wink:

My hubby has strict rules to inform you all if anything awful ever happens to me.

Emma.x

I've been here for 4 years now :!: Hard to believe I know. It's more than a habit I'm afraid, the forum is a fount of information, advice and friendliness :D I still check out the nesting box & chickens most days and sometimes all things nice as well. There are so many of us I sometimes feel we don't need Google, whatever you want to know about someone on the forum is likely to know. Oh and we've had some great get togethers North of the border too. Have to stay around so I don't miss anything :lol: Alli x

i've been around a few years now , i visit most days to see what is going on, check out the chooks health and seek advice when needed.....love the recipies and crafty , done a few knitted bits from patterns this year.

I don't post unless i have something to say or share but i'm here.

I have had a forum addiction for nearly 5 years now, I spend less time here than I used to, but still come on most days for a mooch around. I am a very self contained person I get on well with work colleagues but don't have many friends. I have a close knit family and I find the forum a good way to have the advantages of friends without the disadvantages :wink: and this place is the font of all wisdom. :D

There are quite a few people who have come and gone and you can't help but wonder how they are doing, it is like a big and varied family on the forum. :D

I know I have not been around very much recently it is simply being busy and far more confident about my chooks. I joined 4 years ago. I 'talk' to a few Omleteers on Facebook too. I tend to have a quick read and then move on not often posting unless I really feel that I have something to say. I tis a great forum though!!!!

I still pop in about once a week & scan the lists, hard not to when you receive such a warm & friendly welcome as a newbie. (5yrs ago!) I was a student back then, but since going into full time work & subsequently starting my own business, life just takes over I'm afraid :roll: