Mr Rhode Island Red

Old forum members "dying off"

I'm still around from the very first few days of the forum - I didn't even know what a forum was then! :shock:

There were half a dozen of us for some time and I remember when Nicola, Kate, Sheila and I were scratting around for topics to keep the forum going :lol: We used to look at other forums and pinch thread titles from them :shh: Now I just can't keep up.

I don't visit as often now I'm no longer a moderator - far too busy with the farm most of the time....but I always look in every few days for a catch up.

:D Yes, I'd forgotten about the sp"Ooops, word censored!" topics Lesley, we could read every post, I don't try now! I'd never heard of an internet forum before either.

:D Yes Plum, I had a name change for a while when I was considering anonimity, but had started as Sheila and will stay as Sheilaz.

It's a good topic RIR, and lovely to see familiar old names, but I'm struggling a bit with the title.

Life changes, and that's why I don't post so often, my life is very different now, but I do skim read a few posts quite regularly. It's a great facility, with friends nationwide, isn't it?

I'm pleased to see new members welcomed and the friendly atmosphere maintained, I think I'll always be an Omleteer. :D

I had thought the same regarding old members such as beckyboo, penguinmad, bronze Just to name a few myself recently I do think the Omlet forum has changed a lot since it's early days and tbh there are a lot of other forums now to choose from I personally dip in and out of several forums.

Quite a few members of other forums I belong to have said that they havn't joined or have left the Omlet forum as "it's s"Ooops, word censored!"by and cliquey and is run to suit the opinions and views of the mods such as not allowing rehoming as other forums do" Each to there own I guess :!:

Wow. That last comment is massively unfair. The forum is most definitely not run to suit the opinions of the moderating team. We work very hard, as volunteers to keep it running smoothly. For the record, the 'flavour' of the forum is decided by Omlet who own it, ie no advertising, and no adult content as it is a family orientated forum, and not by the moderating team.

There is the Omlet Marketplace for anyone wanting to rehome hens.

I personally have never perceived it to be either s"Ooops, word censored!"by or cliquey. Everyone seems friendly, and willing to pitch in to offer help and advice where they can.

The forum has increased massively in the last couple of years. I used to try to answer as many questions as I could, but now that would be an impossibility. There were only a couple of thousand members when I joined, now there are over 12 thousand.

Egluntyne you were my god when I joined. You helped everyone and have been a credit to the Omlet forum. I wasn't disappointed when I met you in person, you are down to earth and lovely person.

I can understand why you don't answer everyone now and it's fine that others who've learnt from those such as you can give that advice and support now as well :D

It's not only Egluntyne but you were all very supportive and egged me on getting my flock and expanding it :roll: It's good seeing that carrying on over the years. :D

Hi all, I'm still here :lol: ......and Plum, I was indeed Wild Mum, thanks Cooks for pointing that out hun :wink: also thanks to Christian for his help :clap:

I don't come on here as often as I used to, I became aware that I was spending far too much time on the forum....though I have had odd moments of needing and receiving advice and support and here has been my first port of call....DH has also been known to utter the words "ask Omlet" :lol:

I am able to count a few Omleteers amongst my very dearest and closest friends, and speak to them daily in one way or another.....with others as friends....and many more as virtual friends.....all in all Omlet is a friendly place not s"Ooops, word censored!"by at all :roll:

Sha x

I haven't been on much lately due to the arrival of my amazing first grandson 4mths :D i don't look for chicken help really now but used it a lot when i first started.

I pop onto the craft and food sections occasionly and Omlet is always where i come with a query about a new purchase or a question that i am sure someone here can help with about everyday things. I am always amazed at the quick replies and the knowledge of everyone here :D

Hi all, what a great thread. Its great to see some old faces.

Whilst I have never been a prolific poster, it has often been my first port of call for advice for all things chicken related and even non chicken related. I read regularly and love to watch as folks share their knowledge and enthusiasm. We had to rehome our rather dominating Maran, and she is now managing a flock of around 12 hens, :roll: . I cant imagine life without chickens and Omlet forum. We have taken on chickens from an elderly lady who sadly fell and broke her hip so can no longer look after them, and bought 3 bantams last week so I dont see myself "dying off" for some time yet... :lol: That reminds me I must update my thingy with our new ladies.....

Good morning from Tenerife.... How lovely to see you all.....I only browse the forum these days....In the early days I was so glad of all the help and advice I got from you all....Like lots of you I am now on FB and keep in touch with some of you on there..... We have 17 chooks as we speak 9 of which hatched this year....Sir Minky, Princessa and Marilyn are still going strong...We have lost Sophia and Amelia this year:(

Sending love and hugs to all of you that know me.xx Have a great day with Tasha on the 18th...Maybe I can get across next year. Xx

This forum is no different to any other I have used, and I have used a good number of them, although mostly to do with music.

It's pointless denying that there are things like cliques, because there are, and they have their use as a 'core' and offer stability to the overall function of the forum. The members of the clique might simply see themselves as making and maintaining their friendships whilst 'newcomers' might see them as experienced, good sources of information.

The fact that someone would start this thread is evidence of a clique.

People will either find this place useful or not, and consequently return or not. I for one, don't have any issues with this, as I can also go elsewhere for information. At this point in time, I come here as there are a few topic I am watching. I don't browse the forum, rather I only look at the unread posts to see if anything new has emerged.

I mentioned before that I stopped coming on here because I didn't have hens at the time... now I do. I don't have 'friends' on here and certainly don't think any of you would enjoy my Facebook pages. It's not a requirement, but you should also remain aware of how these friendships that you make will be percieved by people coming here.

Trust me... you are not nearly as bad as a buch of musicians, with their inflated egos, 'give good reviews to get good reviews' attitude, extremely bad adice, and a general lack of awareness of just how rubbish a bunch of musicians we really are. Now 'that' isn't useful.

Edited by Guest

I haven't been on much lately due to the arrival of my amazing first grandson 4mths :D i don't look for chicken help really now but used it a lot when i first started.

Congratulations! And an excellent reason for not being on here so often :D

After a good few years on here, I like how the ambiance of the forum ebbs and flows with the change of members; in the early days there were far fewer of us (I remember celebrating when we reached a thousand members :dance: ) and the topics had a very different feel with a small core of regular contributors and others who popped in and out as their lives dictated.

It has been a privilege to meet a great many of you over the years and some are still closer friends, or have pitched up at meets and have kept in touch. Like the forum members, the moderating team changes over time, with people moving on when their life/family demands more time. All the mods are volunteers who do battle daily with spammers, make sure that topics are in the correct sections to make the forum easier to use, and keep it friendly for the younger members.

I don't think that the term 'clique' should be viewed as negative, more as another term for a group... of course there are groups within the forum; some of us are geographically close to others and meet up regularly.

As with any online forum, it might not be for everyone (there are some other which I don't bother with as I don't care for the 'feel') but it has maintained the close feel despite the growth. Do bear in mind though that a vast proportion of the members registered don't ever post.

:D Not dead yet :anxious:

I joined on October 30th 2004 - if you check out the members list it gives you all the names, you can then decipher whos had a name change if you know roughly when the joined.

Mrs Frugal was Kate, then Superkate - with extra ordinary "pants" :lol:

I no longer have chooks but still browse and post :D

Ooh - Stu - just read your post - I am certainly not in a Clique :shameonu: Also, the individual who started this thread is not, they probably just posted out of curiosity and a sense of wondering. This has always been a helpful and family-like forum with people sharing thoughts, info and usually a coomon bond of hen keeping. Olly whom I have never met or conversed with kindly posted photos for me yesterday - I had no qualms about asking, such is the nature of the forum - no clique involved :think:

It's funny really looking back as when I joined the topics moved so quickly I could barely keep up - there were a fair few people that posted all the time. The threads became more of a "live-chat", very interesting to read although as a newcomer I felt a bit shy about adding my comments (if I could get a word in edgewise! :roll::lol: ) not because the posters were unfriendly or unwelcoming, I've never experienced that, but rather because I felt a bit like I was butting into a conversation between established friends. This is the nature of forums and I soon got over this feeling and started joining in when I felt I wanted to!

There are other forums I have been on that I wouldn't dare post anything as the replies people give are short, rude, cutting and extremely impolite. Some of these are forums for Mums where it is apparently the thing to do to try and be as controversial / argumentative as possible just for the sake of it! My OH goes on some BMX forums and even he was shocked at one of them with the level of abuse given to fellow posters that was apparently acceptable!

I'm still here :D

I stopped posting as much when i had to rehome my chooks but still look in every day. My voluntary / bank workplace keeps chickens and ducks :D So i'm looking more and more again :lol:

I've made some good friends, virtual and real through here :D and have always found the forum very supportive in all areas. There is always someone to give advice and/or a hug.

Although I'm not an old forum member I have been absent for a while, only dipping in once or twice a week. This forum is still a page that automatically opens when I put my laptop on and it is still a place I would come to for advice. I guess with too many chickens (at the moment there is such a thing :doh: ), family stuff etc I spend less time looking for advice than I once did and more time actually 'doing' stuff. :lol:

Wouldn't want this site to go anywhere though. :)

Egluntyne you were my god when I joined. You helped everyone and have been a credit to the Omlet forum.

I agree Plum when we started out and were very unsure, OH and I used to wait for Egluntynne to post a reply because she always knew what to do :D:D

I had never belonged to a forum before Omlet and other than OU ones for my studying I don't belong to anything else. Omlet is great it is always supportive and helps with both chicken issues and life issues. Recently I have greatly appreciated the advice in the hatching section.

I have only met two omleteers but feel I know a lot more.

I come on the forum when I can, it varies depending on school, archery and studying :lol: I don't think I am an old member yet :lol::lol::lol:

Chrissie

also thanks to Christian for his help :clap:

:oops::oops: A pleasure.

I remember when I joined and I received a pm from a moderator saying that they had censored a post of mine. :oops:

I was mortified (back in the day when Sheila was a mod and slapped me with a wet fish :wink: ) and didn't come on for a few days as I was embarrassed. :roll: Since I became a mod I have realised that it isn't always a joyful task. Shifting posts, editing 'swear words' :roll: and sometimes having to PM a member when something isn't quite right etc.

I have often thought about giving up and just enjoying the forum without having to change posts to

suit the opinions and views of the mods
:shock::shock: I personally find that quite offensive. It's comments like that, that make me want to jack in all in.

Oh no please don't jack it in, Christian. :pray: You've been a huge help to me and all the mods are the saving grace of the forum, keeping it the warm, friendly place it is. I've had a couple of PMs from mods asking me not to do x and have had items moved and never minded one bit as it was always done so nicely - and correctly too. I don't use any other forums because they don't give me that 'belonging' feeling this one does, yet I'd be amazed if I was part of a clique as it would be the first time ever for this eclectic rover :shock:

Oh no, don't go anywhere!

To be honest, people can have their opinions and make them on other forums if they wish - no need to let it have any impact here unless they say it on here and if this forum doesn't suit them then they're daft if they keep coming on....did that even make sense?! :oops::roll:

Aw Christian you're a gem as well. You saved my sanity when I was traumatised with the first chicken prolapse I had come across. Thank you

Mind you did send me to the naughty step for saying something inappropriate :oops: Y'ou made me laugh though when you told me off and weren't at all threatening, you must try harder :lol:

I bow down to all the Mods, it must be something of a thankless task at times :D Speaking personally, Egluntyne helped me at the beginning and Christian helped through the beeboard traumas some of us experienced at one time. Cinnamon and DM have always been interesting and helpful, and Redwing shares her considerable knowledge extremely freely; but all the Mods are lovely - we are lucky to have/had you all :clap:

I really don't think this is a cliquey place, I wouldn't have stayed so long if I felt uncomfortable. I know one or two people have left in something of a huff but equally I feel you can't please all the people all the time. And it is natural for forums to change as people change in their experiences and needs, I'm not sure it would be healthy if it always stayed the same. This is still a vibrant place, some forums are really struggling for participation, particularly because of FB I think.

For the record those were the comments and opinions expressed to me Not By Me but by members of other forums I belong to
Then why bring them here, to a thread which had been a very pleasant trip down memory lane?

Omlet don't condone the 'dissing' of other forums here.