Mr Rhode Island Red

Old forum members "dying off"

Not dead here too!

I use my iPod now to keep up to date with the forum . But tend not to type coz it's too fiddly. Egluntyne is brill in all matters and guided me on joining a forum and security. Well done everybody for making the forum a great online community for old and new members. :D

I've been a member for a very long time but mainly lurk as I don't have chickens so can't offer help and advice but I agree it is a friendly forum and so useful, I have been caught out by the 'omlet effect' too! I agree that the mods and more experienced members have been so helpful in the past and even I have noticed those who were once new and scared owners become experienced, confident and taking on the baton and giving advice themselves.

It has been lovely to see some older members being prompted to say hello as a result of this thread. Some of the keenest posters I remember who we haven't seen yet are the Coupers(man and wife) and Penguinmad.

It is amazing how much life changes but lovely that omlet obviously holds a special place in people's hearts so return even if they have managed to get over their forum addiction :lol:

Returning to this thread after deciding to take a day or two out of it. Thank you to all the Omleteers who have said such lovely things.

We try to keep it friendly here, and in the main I think we succeed. I visit a crafting forum occasionally, and as someone over there said recently, sometimes you start to read a thread, and it is like that scene in Beetlejuice when the mother opens the door .... sees a vision of hell, screams and slams it shut again. :lol: Fortunately we manage to keep a lid on that kind of thing here. An occasional grenade will be lobbed, and usually will backfire.

Onwards and forever upwards.

I still come and read most days, I have never contributed alot but enjoy the family feel and especially the craft swops.

The mods do a fantastic job.

There are alot of great characters on here, we have followed through divorces, weddings, new babies and lots of other situations it is wonderful to feel there is always someone who will listen to things that are important to you but others around you have no interest in whatsoever.

Long may we carry on.

I joined in June 2007 when my wife bought me 3 chickens and an Eglu for a birthday present.

I can still remember one of the first topics that I posted "Where could I buy chicken leads" as the omlet information guide stated that "introduce new chickens to your pets on leads" !!!!

I got loads of help from the mod's at that time, then I joined the "football forum"..............(laughing).

Friday football predictions and "banter with mods". that Revnev,Lisa33, Goonergirl, Chelsea, Dan & Deb etc they were BAD PEOPLE :lol: got me into loads of mischief !!!! including suspension and ban's "happy days".

Eventually the football forum got banned from the Omlet forum and reappeared on facebook and is still going strong.

I don't post on here very often these days, though I do look in from time to time.

Hi guys. I'm back after a weeks (successful :dance: ) cold turkey from the internet.

Wow, a lot of replies...but...

Just for the record:

I didn't intend to start a "clique" (I even had to look its definition up in a dictionary before I knew what ye were on about :lol: )

I didn't intend to indirectly encourage others to diss the Moderators, ye do an amazing job at running the forum and that must be a mammoth task with all the spammers out there today.

I didn't intend to weaken friendships among omleteers.

If Mods feels that I could be doing lasting damage to the forum, feel free to lock this thread.

I joined the forum as a relative newcomer to the hobby after I read a book on chicken keeping "The Urban Hen" by Paul Peacock, which reccomended this forum as a friendly and helpful place where you are guaranteed to get a few answers to your chicken related questions

Don't apologise you've given me a few giggles and its good to catch up with the oldies who've died off :lol:

I agree :D Some good and funny memories! :lol: Made me feel a bit old though thinking back to when I joined, aah, so young then! Well, ok, not that young... :lol:

I think the mods do a fantastic job and absolutley love the forum, it's so friendly and especially when I first joined two years ago everyone was great with the inevitable newbie questions, I can remember my panic at my first broody so it's great to be able to pass things on that I have learned. But I still come on every day, often laugh or cry at posts and still learning.

Laurmurf is right - the bees are ascerbic to say the least!! The Omlet forum is a lovely friendly place and a great source of advice. Well done to all the mods for keeping it as such.

No, the bees are lovely.....it's just beekeepers you have to watch out for :lol: I creep into the bee forum if I need to know something and have everything crossed that someone else will have asked the question already :lol:

I can still remember one of the first topics that I posted "Where could I buy chicken leads" as the omlet information guide stated that "introduce new chickens to your pets on leads" !!!!

Oh I've been :lol::lol: fit to burst. You've made my day.

I know I've joined long after most of you on this thread, but I remember how kind Christian was when I first joined and was going on about how to change my user name but did not even know what 'PM me' meant :oops: I think I practically became a 'chatty chicken' on that topic alone :anxious: and the mods did not show impatience once.

Gosh I looked it up and realised I joined the forum 5 years ago :shock: Like most I initially used it as a great source of advice on keeping chickens, I'd have posted more in the chicken boards but I realised most questions have already been answered if you enter the right search terms :lol: I do turn to the forum to get advice on all sorts of random topics as it's a good way to get a range of views. I don't have the time to meet friends as often as I'd like to get their views and I've found the ability to email friends easily means I don't spend hrs on the phone chatting to them anymore :(

I now browse to see what is being discussed and dip in and out of topics that interest me. I love the mix of people and what I learn from the posts. You learn alot about some of the regular posters and as a consequence you do care what happens to them when they are going through difficult times and celebrate when they have good news. Whilst I doubt I'd go for facial piercings or tattoos :shock: , recent posts have been a revelation how mainstream they are, Anne's tattoo was beautiful. Many posts make me laugh (eg. Sarah's teenage moment this week) which is one of the reasons I keep coming back. A small number have made me cry because I care about what is happening to the people involved.

I miss some of the previous regular posters and wonder what happened to them. I've met a few lovely people off the forum, particularly when I was looking into walk in runs (which I'm still waiting for) but real life is so busy :roll: I don't think I've managed to meet any in the last couple of years.

I think the mods do a great job of keeping the atmosphere pleasant. :clap:

I don't come on here as much as I used to, like others other things just get in the way. But it is definitely the best forum I have ever joined, I have had had so much help and support and have been lucky to meet some lovely people. I have never found it cliquey, practically everyone has been welcoming and the mods do an excellent job on those that aren't. Christian - you can't go, I will never forget you posting a picture of hedgehog poo for me :lol: I am pleased to say they still visit :)

I'm still alive! Like many others when you are new to chicken keeping, the advice and information on here is invaluable, I still look on here most days, but don't reply as often as I used to as life changes and I don't always have time, plus I go on other forums too :oops: I became a Grandmother last year & look after my Grandson 2 days a week, I see a lot of Whoopsie and her gorgeous son so our boys are growing up together and I'm friends with Seagazer too, I love this site and have never had anything but the utmost respect for the mods who all do a great job, and make this a nice place to be :clap:

Granted I'd have a bit more money if it wasn't for the Omlet 'Must haves' But I have Omleteers to thank for introducing me to lots of products and ideas I'd never have know about :D I still love my chickens, though sadly my original girls are no longer around and I have newer girlies and I've learned a lot on here for example I got girls who all lay different coloured eggs so I know who's slacking :lol:

I've been really busy recently and missed everyone but have spent many an hour on here, usually at stupid o'clock in the morning when I can't sleep.

I had to nag for about 2 years just to get 3 chickens, now have about 30 and just get :roll: ed at by the parents ;)

So many people gave me lifts and collected me from train stations to get to shows and meets before I could drive. I now drive 120mile round trip to work, for chickens! :lol:

My friends have learnt to understand the obsession and just agree with it now

I feel like I've grown up with you lot! Its been 5 years and I think I have grown up with ma chicken family, have made some great friends who I speak to every day and see people quite regularly.

Some of the nicest people I've met, know the answer to everything and always happy to help :D

Thanks also to all the mods, past + present!

I agree, some of my closest friends are from here too and I also chat to them everyday :lol::wink:

My number in chickens has gone up and down but never double figures. Working in a different job now means I have more time hence I am on here more lately..

Thanks to all the mods.

I remember you being a young lad leewwwwwis :lol: *ruffles Lewis's hair*