jess1merlin

Sky or Freesat

We have recently moved home and are no longer able to get our TV from Virgin as there is no cable here. At the moment we are just using freeview but we really need to decide if we go to Sky or get one of the latest freesat boxes that allows you to record and catch up etc.

We are not keen to use sky really as we have had problems with them in the past but my other half does like the motor sport and he is concerned that Sky will get the rights to show it next year. I have looked online to try and find out who will show the Moto Gp and F1 coverage for the next couple of years but can't seem to find a definate answer.

As we are no longer working I would prefer to go with Freesat as it is just one initial outlay but i'm not sure which way to go :?

We moved last year and had Virgin before we moved. Where we live now there is no cable and we bought a freesat box with the record/rewind etc and it is rubbish. :( It cost a small fortune and I assumed it would be the perfect replacement as we don't need the sports. We have BT internet and we cannot get the BT version for the TV either. :( We will definetly be getting sky once we have completed the building work in the lounge. Don't waste your money on the freesat. Our income is considerably less since we moved as I gave up work so I know how you feel.

We have recently moved home and are no longer able to get our TV from Virgin as there is no cable here. At the moment we are just using freeview but we really need to decide if we go to Sky or get one of the latest freesat boxes that allows you to record and catch up etc.

We are not keen to use sky really as we have had problems with them in the past but my other half does like the motor sport and he is concerned that Sky will get the rights to show it next year. I have looked online to try and find out who will show the Moto Gp and F1 coverage for the next couple of years but can't seem to find a definate answer.

As we are no longer working I would prefer to go with Freesat as it is just one initial outlay but i'm not sure which way to go :?

BBC have the moto GP contract at least for 2013. For F1 they have live coverage of 10 F1 races, the rest are transmitted the same day, but later, including quali., With practise 1,2,and 3 on the net. Lots of red button coverage also. As you have Freeview get a quality PVR such as the Humax DVR-FOX T2. .

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_stb_terrestrial_hdrfoxt2.aspx

I gave up on Sky a couple of years ago and changed to a Humax P9300T - it does everything that we used Sky for and was a one-off payment.......has more than paid for itself compared to what we were paying Sky every month. ( we were paying £60 pm and the Humax cost £125 )

We have coped with F1 coverage - not ideal, but it hasn't killed us :lol:

I gave up on Sky a couple of years ago and changed to a Humax P9300T - it does everything that we used Sky for and was a one-off payment.......has more than paid for itself compared to what we were paying Sky every month. ( we were paying £60 pm and the Humax cost £125 )

We have coped with F1 coverage - not ideal, but it hasn't killed us :lol:

Sorry but mine is a HUMAX and it was nearly £300 and we all think it is :silenced: We all miss our Virgin. :(

I'm with Lesley - I have the same box as her and it's ace - never had Sky or similar so have nothing to compare it with, but it does everything I need - didn't cost £300 though :shock: Unless you want lots of sport or movies, I'd go with Freesat - but the channels do vary from Freeview.

We left Sky as it was getting to expensive I have got a Freesat box that records luckilly as we have the sky dish with the two cables I could just plug this in a go.

I got a cheaper goodmans one from Asda and it does the job, it has the odd wobble but It has a lot more capacity than our pace sky box. The only issuse we have is tha it is a bit slow when pressing the buttons on the controller, however thats all I have to complain about and im not paying Mr Sky stupid money (I think ours even has some IPlay function but not fully investigated this yet)

Well, we decided to get the latest freesat box which was an initial outlay of nearly £300 but then no monthly outlay. So far it seems fine although it has a fan in it somewhere which is a bit noisey. It can record 2 programs at the same time, back up and has on demand ( although as our BT internet connection is not very good thats not worked very well so far)

Just bumping this thread to see if there is any more feedback about Freesat.

We have a Sky+ subscription but the Sky box has gone bang and needs replacing (not difficult as they're readily available on ebay). However, I've had a quick look at Freesat+ as the idea of not paying a monthly subscription is appealing but before I cancel my Sky subscription, I wondered if anyone here had any advice?

We only have the basic Sky+ subscription but the main appeal is being able to watch/record two channels and pause/rewind (we have no terrestrial TV because reception is so poor). I'm not worried about more/less channels, more about the quality of Freesat+, ease of use, reliability etc etc.

I thank you :P

I have Freesat and am very pleased with it. I can watch one channel and record another at the same time and haven't had any problems with this. With the advent of all the "+1" type channels there is almost always the chance to catch anything you've missed (when, typically all the good stuff is on at once)! Can't speak for Sky as I've never had it, but i can't say that anything i've heard about Sky makes me want it (the boxes seem to be forever going wrong?!)

I can't comment on freesat as we are sky customers, whilst I'd love to not subscribe we use the music channels on an all most daily basis. From what it sounds like Jools you don't need sky but if you do decide to stay with them don't buy a box. If you ring up and say you are leaving they will make all sorts of offers to you to induce you to stay, we've had upgrade boxes before and better deals.

Sky will try very hard to keep their customers, feeing great deals. We wanted to watch the Aussie open tennis which was shown on Eurosport and despite already having a full sports pack this is part of the Entertainment extra pack, we rang the to complain about this and remove our movie subscription to add the entertainment one instead, we quite fancied the music channels too to be honest. They offered us a full package with a 25% discount for 6 months, so we ended up with a more for much less.