Mercedes55

Our dog's blood test results

Our nearly 14yr old chocolate labrador has been unwell this week. She's been off her food, been sick, had the runs etc so we took her to the vet last night. On examination he found that she had lost about 2kg of weight in the last month, she seems to have a mass in her bowel which he said could be a tumour or could be a piece of poo stuck in there, plus he noticed she had some jaundice in her eyes. Obviously we are worried out of our minds and he took some blood and the results make little sense to us, but obviously they are not good as they want to do an ultrasound on her tomorrow. Just wondered if these results make any sense to anyone :?

TP 105 g/L

GLOB 78 g/L

ALKP 944 U/L

TBIL 113 mol/L

RBC 4.24 x10 12/L

HCT 31.2%

HGB 11.0 g/dL

WBC 5.23 x10 9/L

Our nearly 14yr old chocolate labrador has been unwell this week. She's been off her food, been sick, had the runs etc so we took her to the vet last night. On examination he found that she had lost about 2kg of weight in the last month, she seems to have a mass in her bowel which he said could be a tumour or could be a piece of poo stuck in there, plus he noticed she had some jaundice in her eyes. Obviously we are worried out of our minds and he took some blood and the results make little sense to us, but obviously they are not good as they want to do an ultrasound on her tomorrow. Just wondered if these results make any sense to anyone :?

TP 105 g/L -Total protein

GLOB 78 g/L Globulin

ALKP 944 U/L Alkaline Phosphotase

TBIL 113 mol/L Total Bilirubin

RBC 4.24 x10 12/L Red blood cell count

HCT 31.2% Haematocrit

HGB 11.0 g/dL Haemaglobin

WBC 5.23 x10 9/LWhite blood cell count

Your vet needs to interpret these for you and put them into context given her symptoms and their clinical examination. I am afraid to say that if they can feel a mass, there is jaundice and given her age I supsect the prognosis (outlook) is not good :( If she has the runs it is unlikely although not impossible for the mass to be poo (sometimes a hard piece of poo can cause a blockage that only very liquid poo can get past). Good luck with her :pray:

TP 105 g/L -Total protein

GLOB 78 g/L Globulin

ALKP 944 U/L Alkaline Phosphotase

TBIL 113 mol/L Total Bilirubin

RBC 4.24 x10 12/L Red blood cell count

HCT 31.2% Haematocrit

HGB 11.0 g/dL Haemaglobin

WBC 5.23 x10 9/LWhite blood cell count

Your vet needs to interpret these for you and put them into context given her symptoms and their clinical examination. I am afraid to say that if they can feel a mass, there is jaundice and given her age I supsect the prognosis (outlook) is not good :( If she has the runs it is unlikely although not impossible for the mass to be poo (sometimes a hard piece of poo can cause a blockage that only very liquid poo can get past). Good luck with her :pray:

Thanks for the reply Chucky Mama. We were surprised to not have the results interpreted to us as we just see it as a list of letters we don't understand.

We also suspect sadly that the prognosis is not good but the vet made us feel we were not giving her a fair chance by not having the ultrasound done as he said if there are no signs of a tumour then she could have hepatitis which can be treated with antibiotics and steroids. Whether he is right or not I still feel we are putting a very old dog through a lot of unnecessary stress and tests just so they can make a diagnosis and they aren't seeing things from our perspective. The poor thing has already had 3 abscesses this year and also had 7 teeth taken out so she's not had a very good time :(

Usually there are 2 sets of results - your dogs results and the levels the bloods should be at = they should never give out this without explanation. Go back to them and ask please. you are paying well enough for it.

Edited to say I work in a veterinary clinic!

Yes there are two lots of results and we are assuming that the ones in blue are the low ones, the green are within range and the red are too high. However the results are just a list of letters divided into sections labelled Electrolyte Analyzer, Hematology Analyzer and Chemistry Analyzer and nothing on the paperwork explains what the letters stand for which is confusing.

You should really not have been given the results without a vet interepreting them for you. I am quite shocked :shock: An ultra sound won't be too traumatic for her but I would ask for the results to be interpreted before you agree to have anything else done. If they can feel a mass the ultrasound will give an indication as it it's location but you need those results interpreted by a vet first without a doubt.

You should really not have been given the results without a vet interepreting them for you. I am quite shocked :shock: An ultra sound won't be too traumatic for her but I would ask for the results to be interpreted before you agree to have anything else done. If they can feel a mass the ultrasound will give an indication as it it's location but you need those results interpreted by a vet first without a doubt.

I did speak with the vet again on the phone last night before surgery was over. He still didn't explain the blood test results but just kept saying how important it is to get the ultrasound done so that they can have a better idea of what is going on. Today has been dreadful as Mishka is a wreck when going to the vets and we had agreed before talking to the vet last night that we weren't going to put her through any more stress and we asked the vet if he could come and do a house visit but he said to have her pts at home would cost about £265 and that they would have to plan it as he would have to bring a nurse with him. The ultrasound he reckoned could show that she hepatitis which he can treat and that if we had her pts without knowing what is wrong that we would regret it, which made us feel really bad. The cost of the ultrasound is £160 but the total we got this morning when OH dropped her off at the vet is for £260 as there are lots of other charges which we weren't told about. We have already decided that we won't have any needle aspiration done if they do find a tumour as we've already gone beyond what we feel is fair for her. We both feel terrible for not standing out ground and getting all the information we should have. Don't expect to get the results of the ultrasound till lunchtime and will take it from there. I feel I am making a complete mess of all of this :?

Please don't feel you are making a mess of things. I feel from what you have said your vet are being very insensitive. I would make it very clear that them giving you bloods test results without telling you what they mean is really pointless and a waste of both of your times. Plus, how can you know if it is vital for your dog to have the ultrasound if you don't understand what the BT results mean. Is there another vet at the practice you could speak to who might be more understanding? I do hope you get some good answers to enable you to do what is best.

Oh I really feel for you.

I went through something similar with my last dog a while ago - she had an ultrasound scan which showed nothing, the vet rang and asked if she could do an x-ray which did show the full extent of the problem. With hindsight, I wish I'd just opted for an x-ray as soon as she was ill (not that it was suggested to me) instead of faffing about with blood tests etc.

I do think sometimes you have to stand up to vets - no one knows your dog better than you and your instinct won't be wrong. I will be thinking of you today, it will be a very hard day for all of you. Sending hugs. x :pray:

I don't have any words of wisdom to add except to echo what Bramble said - no one knows your dog better than you, so go with your gut instinct and don't be afraid to stand up to what sounds like a very insensitive vet. You are your dog's voice. You are also paying a lot for the benefit of the vet's expertise so you deserve nothing less than exceptional treatment! Good luck x

Sadly we had to have Mishka pts a little while ago. The results of the ultrasound showed a large tumour on her spleen and the vet felt it was most likely malignant and that to remove it would not only be a very large procedure for a dog of her age but apparently it would most likely come back within 3mths, so from that we are guessing that perhaps it had spread but not sure as we are a bit numb from it all still :(

Oh dear, I'm really sorry to hear that.

The one good thing about having the ultrasound is at least you KNOW what the problem was and that you won't be thinking "if only we'd tried this/that", there was nothing that could be done and hopefully that will give you a crumb of comfort when you are starting to get over the loss, which will take a while.

Thinking of you all, sleep tight Mishka x