mcfee2

Argh! Now Daisy is crowing ... update he is gone :-(

So, after losing Crocus a week after she arrived, and then having to rehome Coriander when she turned out to be a boy, Daisy has started to try to crow :roll:

She is 23 weeks now, I've checked her vent and it looks the same as the other girls if a little more feathery than theirs. She has a fairly small comb and wattles, but massive legs (without spurs) so I'm fairly confident she's a girl. BUT ... why would she be trying to crow? This morning it was 6.45, and we had eight attempts - more of a prolonged cockaaaaa rather than a proper cockadoodledoo, but loud enough for me to be worried the neighbours may complain.

She's not yet started laying, so I don't know if this may be the start of that, but I have three questions:

1. Is there a reason why she might be trying to crow? She's in the classic run with Phlox, with the big girls in the cube next door.

2. Assuming that this is just what she does, at what point can I get into trouble for excessive noise?

3. If I shut them in the Eglu so they can't get out first thing, will that muffle it or just make them cross and more noisy?

Please help! I don't want to get into bother and lose them all as a result, but I'd really like to hush her and keep her with us as she's lovely otherwise!

Edited by Guest

Have a good look to see if there's any saddle feathers coming though on her back above the tail. Also are the neck feathers pointy or rounded? Have a google of Orpington pictures for comparison. It could just be her saying good morning. I'd shut the door that way if it's something disturbing their beauty sleep they'll no longer be able to see it and it will muffle the noise. They are quite loud/moany sounding, Kitty and Dolly can wail for England.

One of my first mob was a lavender Orp who eventually turned out to be a fella, took him nearly 9 months to declare himself.

My Australorp did that the first two times my black sex link hen was broody. I don't know why! Maybe she was feeling protective and decided to try to impersonate a male! I tried running out and hushing her with limited success. She eventually stopped on her own. The first time she did it the entire time her friend was broody. The second time she got tired of it earlier!

so, this is the best picture I have with me, she and Phlox are 23 weeks now, I took it last weekend.

IMG_00000451_zps271b067e.jpg

Perspective makes her look a giant and Phlox a midget, but she is bigger. Though she was tiny compared to Geoff before he started crowing. But her legs are fairly chunky ...

Do you think she's doing it because he's gone, maybe?

I've checked Google lots too, and all of the books and magazines I could lay my hands on in the hope of solving it. I saw my friend's neighbour's orps last week and Daisy really looked like the hen and not the cockerel... her vent looks girly, and I'm debating taking her to the chicken place nearby to see if they can confirm it. I can sneak out in the dark yo look at her feathers but don't know what I'm looking for!

BUT... assuming I'm lucky and she is a girl, what's with the crowing? I've found all kinds of possible reasons from hormone imbalance to trying to establish herself as top chook.

Should I move the two little ones in with the big ones despite them not yet laying? I was going to keep them separate until they were all on layers. or should I just shut them in every night in the hope that she stops?

I would keep them all together if possible. At 23 weeks they should be on layers anyway they are pol at that age. It will be hard to intergrate them they'll be bullied, but you have to ignore that if you can, or seperate them with some chicken wire or other kind of fencing where the older chooks can see them. Being with the older girls might make them start laying :D . Just realised you've got the runs next to each other mine crowed terribly when I first did that (green eglu)(green eglu)!bee!!bee!GNRPP(white chicken)GNRPPPPPP plus 2 black labs . Max 9, Oscar 5 and 1 guide dog puppy, Becket - 9 months.

A very quick reply in response to sonya's post above. Pure breds are often NOT pol at 23 wks. Lots of pure breds at this time of year might not lay their 1st egg until the start of next season ie after Feb 2014. My araucana (now over 4yrs) faverolle and dumpies all laid their 1st egg at over 9mths old. Until they lay their 1st egg (and even for a while after) they need to to be on growers, not layers. Lastly placing their run next to laying hens will have no effect at all on the hens ability to lay. They will come into lay when they are ready and not before, Dont worry. Ax

Now I'm really confused. When I got my pol's. They were about 20 weeks. Omlet provided me with layers mash. I've just read loads on the internet, as I'm worried I'm doing it wrong . It all contradicts itself. I have some pure breds and some hybrids. Most are on growers with grit thrown in the run, but I was going to put them all on layers soon :doh: I've only been chicken keeping for 3 years, but have had lots of success with healthy chickens (fingers crossed). I just thought it would be easier to have all your hens together. Older hens laying does often encourage younger ones. That's one of the reasons for dummy eggs. Please don't shout at me again sparkysmum :) . It's only my opinion :?

Hey sonyascott, don't worry! I know what you mean about it being confusing.... I figured from what I'd read before getting the new girls that they might not lay until the spring but then found examples of pure breeds coming into lay in the middle of winter. I could feed them all growers with lots of grit in the meantime if they're better off all in together (especially if it will stop her crowing!).

I've shut them in for the night and still don't know what to look for on her feathers to be sure she's a girl! any ideas?

:lol: confusing isn't it. My pure breeds have been getting on for 30 weeks before laying and the hybrids as young as 16 weeks. Personally I keep them on growers until laying to give them the extra growth time (not that it worked with Budgie my orp she's tiny) and mixed the girls when confident, laying or not and kept them on growers.

If you put them all on layers I'm sure it won't make so much difference may give them the extra calcium and encourage laying earlier and less bodily growth.

The feathers are the ones growing round the neck so look at the ends and if rounded it means girl and if pointed more likely boy. Not always clear as the tips can be faint colour so hard to read. The swoopy saddle feathers are the ones towards the tail on the back that get long and beautiful on boys. Ops have so many feathers it's hard to read. My pied sussex girl (just laying) has massive legs like yours but she's going to be a big girl.

Your orp is making daft noises but it's not really crowing so just wait and keep fingers crossed. I'm crossing mine for you as well.

Sorry cockbird orpingtons are a nightmare to be sexed that's why I don't hatch them anymore some can trick you they don't have to have great big comb and wattles by 23 weeks Ive had boys here that have not crowed or shown to be boys for about 7/8 months then they start trying to crow sounding a bit like a trumpet leanne :)

oh no! Leanne that's kind of what Daisy sounds like - I explained it today as a trumpet with the mute thing in!!!

I've called the local country store and the vet (one from the BHWT approved list) and neither if them were able to help. the vet even said not to bother bringing her as he wouldn't be able to tell :shock:

I then found an orp breeder about 15 miles away so we will be visiting her over the weekend in the hope that she will be able to solve it.

we've prepped the cube tonight and tomorrow night I think we'll put Daisy and Phlox in with the big girls. I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not, but they can all go onto growers and grit. if Daisy is a boy then at least Phlox will have had a couple of days with her before she goes. I'm gutted as Daisy is gorgeous :cry: