mcfee2

Argh! Now Daisy is crowing ... update he is gone :-(

I'm absolutely gutted. I can't find her number as my phone died and deleted everything a couple of weeks back. I can't bear the thought of someone doing away with him and now I don't know what to do about phlox. should I move her in with the girls with Daisy tonight as planned or will she suffer when Daisy goes?

After losing Crocus and Coriander turning out to be a boy I'm really not a happy girl right now.

I found her after a lengthy Google search, and despite offering to take her back when I bought her should she be a boy, she won't do so. she says she paid for the chicks to be sexed and this is the second that has turned out to be a cockerel. :x not impressed and a little cross now.

I've moved them in with the big girls now it's dark, topped up the grit and filled both of the grubs with growers. hopefully they won't kick off in the morning too early. :roll:

I have the local breeder as my last hope of either telling me she is a girl or taking him on, otherwise I'm going to have to take my chances with preloved or Pets4Homes. I'm very worried for Phlox though as she's definitely the lowest in the pecking order and heaven knows how she's going to cope with all this change. I'm still not sure the stress of moving here wasn't what got her sister.

Good idea godmother, the seller shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. She admitted she's in the wrong by saying she's already had one that turned out to be a cockerel.

Don't worry too much about phlox, she's old enough to run away. As long as they don't draw blood, theyre usually ok. Bribe them with things like corn on the cob. Also if you can, let the old girls free range for a bit, whilst the youngsters get to know their surroundings .Sounds like you've got enough feeders and drinkers too. :|

Looking at your set up, I was in an identical situation as you a couple of weeks back, with 2 chicks that needed to be integrated with a flock of 3 older hens. One chick turned out to be a cock at 14 weeks so I didn't want to leave the female on her own. After much consultation I got rid of the cockeral, THEN put the pol in the coop with the big girls, but while they accepted her, she was thoroughly miserable and scared. So I bought another pol same age And put them back in the other eglu for a week. Then reintroduced them both into the main run and hooray they are all together!

Can you face buying another pol?

Xx

I have on one occasion not been able to introduce one new bird, hence I now have 2 Eglus. However on a second and third attempt it has worked. Think it depends whether your prepared to keep 2 Eglus forever, or not. I got a young cream legbar, as they can sex them very early. She doesn't have an ounce of aggression in her and accepts being bottom of the pecking order. Despite me getting new hens since. Also can't wait for blue eggs, although it might not be til next spring now !eggblue!

You'd be sure of the sex then and !eggblue!8)8)

She's already got one new bird though DM. Suppliers round here will only sell 2+ unless there is a lone hen, so you will probably be ok if you explain the circumstances.

I was fortunate in that my lone bird introduced herself but in your circumstances I'd get another. I felt sad for Ciggie because she never had a buddy which the others have had. They still naturally go in the groups they were introduced at times. Not that it mattered really she was a crackers hen :D

That's not trueDogmother (I so rarely ever disagree with you!) :anxious:

I use a very reputable seller, who is a lovely man. He asked why I was buying only one pol, and when I told him I had another pol in the flock he agreed that was a good idea.

You cannot be quite so prescriptive with how many you introduce, the birds are all so different. A friend of mine has a flock of 30 and has built this up over time adding one here and there as she fancies! She has enough space that it works.

Edited by Guest

She's already got one new bird though DM. Suppliers round here will only sell 2+ unless there is a lone hen, so you will probably be ok if you explain the circumstances.

Sorry Plum, missed that bit as I was scanning through my early morning fog.

The 'not selling one hen rule' is general and most sellers adhere to it, except in exceptional circumstances. Mainly because some plonkers think it's OK to introduce a lone bird to an existing flock. As others have said... if you explain the circumstances (sorry, I missed this bit) then I am sure they will be lenient.

well, this morning came and they all woke up in the same cube ... no crowing at all?!?!?! Am I being overly optimistic that she might be a girl after all?

I think Phlox is a little freaked out - she's been following Daisy round like a lost lamb, hiding underneath her whenever possible. I've left them all in the cube and run and I really hope I've done the right thing