Mercedes55

Kitchenaid vs Kenwood

I've been baking quite a lot of cupcakes recently and find it helps with my depression and anxiety as it's quite a good distraction. My mixer is quite an old plastic hand held Philips one and I keep seeing those lovely pretty Kitchenaid ones on The Great British Bake Off so started looking in the shops at them and also the Kenwood ones. I never realised before how expensive a mixer could be and I'm still in shock on seeing they are over £400 :shock:

Just wondered if anyone has bought either of these brands and what they think of them. I'm still sitting on the fence a bit as even if I buy the right brand I do worry that I might buy one and it turns out to be a very expensive item just sitting in the kitchen :?

Sorry no use at all, but I would love one of those coloured mixers.

I would choose a pink one..........and I'd love one of those Smeg fridges in a pretty colour too.

I guess the ones on The Bake Off must be pretty decent otherwise they wouldn't be using them although I'm not quite sure how Ruby broke the glass mixing bowl when it was on the machine last week.

I went through exactly this dilemma last year. I am really glad I bought a stand mixer, I love baking and it's been really useful, but it's a big investment.

I really, really wanted a Kitchen Aid because they look so cool, but in the end I bought a Kenwood K-mix and haven't regretted it. It has a more powerful motor than the Kitchen Aid, it was cheaper, and the accessories were (slightly) cheaper which is something to think about if you're going to want to buy pasta attachments or other things. I concluded that I'd be paying quite a bit more for the brand name.

Whatever you buy, I think you're going to love it! I still haven't got round to making bread with mine, but I've made biscuits, pastry, sponges, macaroons, meringues - it takes a lot of the hard work out of baking.

Sorry no use at all, but I would love one of those coloured mixers.

I would choose a pink one..........and I'd love one of those Smeg fridges in a pretty colour too.

I would love one of those too......would have the mixer to match the fridge maybe :dance::dance:

on my list when I win the lottery :lol::lol:

I went through exactly this dilemma last year. I am really glad I bought a stand mixer, I love baking and it's been really useful, but it's a big investment.

I really, really wanted a Kitchen Aid because they look so cool, but in the end I bought a Kenwood K-mix and haven't regretted it. It has a more powerful motor than the Kitchen Aid, it was cheaper, and the accessories were (slightly) cheaper which is something to think about if you're going to want to buy pasta attachments or other things. I concluded that I'd be paying quite a bit more for the brand name.

Whatever you buy, I think you're going to love it! I still haven't got round to making bread with mine, but I've made biscuits, pastry, sponges, macaroons, meringues - it takes a lot of the hard work out of baking.

Having looked at some of the reviews I am beginning to think that the Kitchenaid is very pretty and as you say has some lovely colours, but a lot of reviews seem to be quite negative about it. So I think I will look more into getting the Kenwood, although there seem to be quite a lot of different prices for the K-mix, not sure why. Have to say it would be good to try making bread as I hate all the supermarket stuff.

The K-mix comes in several colours, I got mine from John Lewis as I had some vouchers to use up. I can't remember know but I think the price differences may be different models or with some 'extras'. I did quite a lot of Internet searching but JL came out as best value as there was no delivery charge.

The other thing that really appealed to me about the Kitchen Aid was the glass bowl, but having seen Ruby on GBBO I'm glad I dud not get one!

The K-mix comes in several colours, I got mine from John Lewis as I had some vouchers to use up. I can't remember know but I think the price differences may be different models or with some 'extras'. I did quite a lot of Internet searching but JL came out as best value as there was no delivery charge.

The other thing that really appealed to me about the Kitchen Aid was the glass bowl, but having seen Ruby on GBBO I'm glad I dud not get one!

Oh yes Ruby and the glass bowl :oops: We are a week behind watching the series this year and just watched that episode last night. How on earth she managed to break that I don't know. I actually prefer the stainless steel bowls as I would imagine the glass one to be quite heavy. I think I will be boring and go for a black and silver mixer as our kitchen is lemon and green so all our small appliances are silver and black and I don't like the shade of green that Kenwood have. Now the apple green that Kitchenaid have is stunning and would look lovely in my kitchen :lol:

My Mum had a kenwood chef when I was little and I am now on my second one - the first I was given and eventually died...the second is at least 9 years old...I childmind so at least once a week 3 and 4 year old turn it on and off fast and slow - it survives and makes great cakes..

I use it loads...use it for bread (better than the bread maker I used to own), I recently bought the blender so its used often for smoothies etc.

If it gave up tomorrow I wouldn't hesitate in buying another....

It is quite heavy and big but lifting it in and out the cupboard is good exercise allowing me to eat the cakes.....all the bits go in the dish washer as well.....

My husband bought me a black kitchenaid, he knew I'd had my eye on one but couldn't justify the cost enough to just go out and buy it myself, especially as I'd just blown a lot of savings on a black smeg fridge freezer :D

I love it and use it for at least one loaf a week and usually a cake aswell.

If I was absolutely honest I would probably say the kenwood is possibly better quality, but it doesn't look as good. Due to lack off storage space mine has to constantly live on the work top, plus our living area is open plan to the kitchen area and so it looks pretty and matches my smeg fridge freezer.

I went through this debate a couple of years ago and opted for Kitchenaid in the end ( bright red!). I had a Kenwood one for years, but it's not a patch on the robustness of the Kitchenaid. I do a lot of baking and each time I use it, it is a real pleasure. I rather fancied the glass bowl until it was broken last week- I'll stick to my stainless steel one now!

We bought a Kenwood K-Mix two years ago http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KMX54-Stand-Mixer-Peppercorn/dp/B0014IOAK8/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1381925649&sr=1-1&keywords=Kenwood+kMix+KMX54+Stand+Mixer%2C+Peppercorn+Black having looked at both this and the Kitchenaid models. The latter has had a lot of free publicity through GBBO, but (at the time) it was more expensive. I think I'm right in saying that the K-Mix does have a more powerful motor - it certainly feels better built. No regrets over the decision - finished up buying the matching hand mixer and kettle as well

I have had a KitchenAid for over 5 years, I think I first saw it on a Nigella programme. I was impressed by the long guarantee and I did have to make use of it a couple of times and they did eventually change the machine altogether when it developed a hairline crack at the point where the head is raised. I have had no problems with the replacement machine and use it several times a week.

I don't think I looked at the Kenwood at the time as I was swayed by the free ice-cream attachment being offered with the KitchenAid :drool: .

We bought a Kenwood K-Mix two years ago http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KMX54-Stand-Mixer-Peppercorn/dp/B0014IOAK8/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1381925649&sr=1-1&keywords=Kenwood+kMix+KMX54+Stand+Mixer%2C+Peppercorn+Black having looked at both this and the Kitchenaid models. The latter has had a lot of free publicity through GBBO, but (at the time) it was more expensive. I think I'm right in saying that the K-Mix does have a more powerful motor - it certainly feels better built. No regrets over the decision - finished up buying the matching hand mixer and kettle as well

I just ordered that one from JL for the same price and can pick it up later today :D

I still prefer the look of the Kitchenaid but it's a lot more money and I can't justify it :?

Well think on this Mercedes, my Kenwood Chef is at least 50 years old and still going strong! It used to be my Mum's and it continues to make yummy cakes. I also had to replace my hand held mixer earlier this year (my 20 year old Phillips one gave up) and replaced it with a Kenwood, which is good too. So, if I am making something with 2 eggs or less I use my handheld mixer and 3 eggs or more it goes into the large Kenwood. My ancient Kenwood does better with larger mixtures. Enjoy your new toy! :D

Well think on this Mercedes, my Kenwood Chef is at least 50 years old and still going strong! It used to be my Mum's and it continues to make yummy cakes. I also had to replace my hand held mixer earlier this year (my 20 year old Phillips one gave up) and replaced it with a Kenwood, which is good too. So, if I am making something with 2 eggs or less I use my handheld mixer and 3 eggs or more it goes into the large Kenwood. My ancient Kenwood does better with larger mixtures. Enjoy your new toy! :D

My current handheld one is the Philips one too. Most of the time I am just using 2 eggs for making cupcakes but I use the creaming method rather than the all in one method, so have to add the egg a bit at a time and honestly it does make my arm ache holding that thing for so long, plus my mixing bowl tends to travel across the worktop, which is not good :lol:

I have a 40 year old Kenwood Chef mixer and use it for most stuff; the motor is very robust and it copes well with heavy loads.

Also have a Kitchen Aid Artisan food processor, which is great for chopping, grating, making pastry, liquidising etc.

I wouldn't replace either and they each have their own unique plus points.

you don't hang about, Mercedes! :lol: I love JL Click and Collect.

The best bit for me is that I can put the butter and sugar in to cream while I'm weighing out the rest of the ingredients, I have a little cheapie hand mixer too which I still use occasionally, but the Kenwood is my first choice. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

My current handheld one is the Philips one too. Most of the time I am just using 2 eggs for making cupcakes but I use the creaming method rather than the all in one method, so have to add the egg a bit at a time and honestly it does make my arm ache holding that thing for so long, plus my mixing bowl tends to travel across the worktop, which is not good :lol:

Try a silicone heat resistant mat - I use one to stand mixing bowls on and they don't go anywhere.

I have the lime green Kitchen aid as well - I am very pleased with it so far, but it was the glamorous looks that made me choose it. Makes lovely bread dough, especially the wetter mixtures. Not tried it much for cakes. I bought my daughter a Kenwood Chef, she likes that too, so I think it is a matter of personal taste what you prefer. I had just bought the ice cream attachment when my nest suddenly became empty and there are now just the two of us to cook for on a regular basis. :(

I have the glass bowl which seems quite robust and I could not believe it when I saw that Ruby had broken hers on GBBO! I think it must have been a faulty one or maybe someone had previously mishandled it because it seemed to just fall apart.

If I had bought a Kitchenaid it would have been the lime green one as that colour is stunning and would look lovely in my lemon & green kitchen. However it's an awful lot of money, I think in JL they are £429 compared to the £279 for the K-mix. I haven't read anything so far to justify the extra expensive of the Kitchenaid other than it's lovely looks and the accessories that I probably wouldn't bother with anyway. Shame some things are just so expensive.