Hiya,

Iam a little confused of what omlet mean by the hens going to roost at dusk what time is dusk anyway?

We have only had ours for 2 days (nearly 3) and on the first day as to be expected they didnt know where to go. This resulted in the whole familily running round (in there PJ's and wellies) the chicken pen trying to round up 6 hens.

Tonight they still didnt know where to go so the same thing happend. We are very gentle with them and dont grab them just firmly get them round the wings.

Are we trying to get them in too early? We try for between 8:30 and 9.

What time do you get your chickens in?

thanks for any replies

xx

Ours were confined to barracks for two weeks before ranging, mainly because the garden wasn't chicken proof.

I think it helps them establish where home is. Ours usually head for bed between 9 and 10 unless the security light comes on and they think it is morning again! :roll::roll:

Kev.

I got mine yesterday and had the same problem last night - got to about 9 and they were settling in nicely in the run - not ideal! After trying unsucessfully to get them to go in the eglu one escaped and a half hour of hilarious chasing later we had them safely in the eglu. Tonight around 8.30 they put themselves to bed with no hassle at all. Our 2 girls are incredibly dim - haven't even attempted to sort out a pecking order and took hours locating both the food and water - but they seem to love their eglu now!! Dusk apears to be around 8.30 to 9.30 in this part of the world but I suppose it depends on the hens!! Good luck - they'll get it eventually! :lol:

Thanks for the help.

:oops: i feel uterly embaressd now we where rounding them up at 8:00 about an hour and a half early.

I feel so guilty now, the poor things are probably terrified :cry::oops:

What should we do tomorrow?

Just leave them? They found the nesting box and layed us 5 eggs (one of which i broke by accient :oops: ) so they should know where there home is right?

thanks again

xx

Should we leave them till about 9:45? and if they are not in we will go out with a torch!!!!

Our run is secure its made of weldmesh and has paving stones around it too. Tomorrow we are going to add to the security, i just hope the chooks forgive us......if we cant round them up has anyone got any tips on hw to get them in?

we've tryed bribery the just nicked the food and ran :roll:

xx

As long as they are inside their large run and safe from foxes, you should be OK leaving them to it tomorrow night. They know where to go now and will choose their own time! :D Just check on them before you go to bed yourselves that they have all found their way in safely! :lol:

I think it's in their nature to go to roost when they feel it could be dangerous i.e. when it gets dark and predators could be about. For the first 4 weeks we had our girls they where kept in the pen and that way they knew their surroundings and knew where 'home' was. When we did eventually let them free range they put themselves to bed at around 9.45 - 10.00pm but now it's getting slightly earlier - last night it was 9.30pm. The only problem I have is getting them to go onto the perch - mine aren't in an eglu but a converted play shed - 3 of them do sit on the perch but the other 3 don't. I know they all can get on the perch they just can't be bothered :roll::roll::roll:

We were told to keep them in the eglu for 24 hours and then in the run for a week. Which we did; Ruby goes to bed first at 9:00, followed by Doris at quarter past. Maddie stays up to make sure everything is ok and then trots off at about twenty past. We leave them for 10 minutes to settle down and then close the door at around half past, depending if there are adverts on or not !! :wink:

Mine are all in by about 8.45pm. We kept them in the run for 3 days when we first got them before letting them out and they now all troop back in on their own. If I go out to check them a bit early, they all come hurtling back down the ladder to see what I have for them, but I just hide for 5 mins and they all go back up again.

If I want to get them in early (because I'm going out), I usually chuck a handful of corn into their run and they zoom in to get it. I feel a bit mean when I shut the run door behind them, but they don't hold it against me!

When I peep at them in the nest box (all four sleep in their), they are definately a pyramid - 3 on the bottom and one perched on top. They make lovely sleepy noises and I always say goodnight!!

Have a good weekend

KeymerKim

x

I received my cube and four hens yesterday too and also wondered when they would go to bed!

I evntually went back out (again) at 9.15pm (as once it is dark in our garden, it's very dark) and two ladies were already in the cube. I then stood by the top of the ladder and spoke to them, trying to coerce them in, which worked. Tonight we are out so they will have to go in themselves and I will shut the door by torchlight!!

No eggs yet, but yesterday was a bit of a culture shock for them. The Gingernuts are about 20 weeks and almost there, but the Pepperpots are only about 16 weeks. They are having to stay inthe cube run at the moment because my 2 dogs (german shepherd and retired greyhound) need to get used to them, and vice versa, before I let them out.

All rather sureal but very eggciting at the same time (sorry)!

I would, ours go in then out then in then out again and on and on..... :roll: and if I go out too early to shut them in they come out again to say good night! :shock: When I say out then in I mean I put ours into the run about 7.30ish as we back on to fields and I worry about foxes, I don't shut them into the house until I see no chickens in the run for about 1/2 an hour. We either have super chickens or else they're just very fond of their creature comforts as they found their way there from day 1 - I was very impressed! Chill with the chickens, it's a worrying time the first few days but they really are fairly self sufficient in many ways. All they need is fresh water (LOTS of it) bedding and food. Lots of food. Of all types. Stolen food from humans is actually the best food of all. Specially if you can make small boys cry as you get it! :roll::shock::wink:

Mrs Bertie

So long as they're in the run and the run door is closed, I wouldn't worry too much about them going in the eglu/cube - they will be safe, and will go to bed when they are ready.

Mine are alwys in the run around 6pm, they go to bed in the eglu when they want to and then get up when they like. I let them out of the run at about 6.30am and they potter around the garden all day.