Lavenders_Blue

Tragus piercing

I know a couple of folks on here have had tragus piercings. I am semi contemplating having one done. I'm not bothered about whether it hurts or not at the time (I have a relatively high pain threshold and the pain is only momentary anyway). What concerns me is the healing. I had my navel pierced many many years (13!) ago, and it took forever to heal and was not without it's complications. I also had my cartilage (ear) pierced around the same time, and that never did heal up. It was constantly weeping, painful and starting to keloid scar. In the end I took it out after around 6 months and it healed without a trace after around a week! Both times the piercings were done by reputable piercers using surgical steel jewellery, so I know that wasn't the problem. I suspect I am just rubbish at healing!

Any words of wisdom for tragus piercings? Anticipated healing times and any particular aftercare requirements? If it's likely that I'll have a similar experience to my cartilage piercing, then I won't bother going ahead, but I do think they look cute...

navel piercings are notoriously tricky - unless you're the sort of person who can go round with a naked navel most of the time! :lol:

Generally the tragus isn't painful, and heals well - but it's the same cartilage that you had problems with before. It could be that you don't get on with steel jewellery - almost everyone does, but some (including me) don't. I get on best with gold (piercers never have this in - you need 14/18k for purity so they have to order it) and titanium is also recommended for people who've had problems before. Either option makes your piercing much more expensive.

If you go with titanium check that it''s the highest purity standard - ie suitable for surgical implants, not the much cheaper stuff that's often used in jewellery

Thanks merlina, that's useful to know. I never considered surgical steel might be a problem, I had assumed it was non allergenic (if that's the right word!).

I see you're in Leics, are you able to recommend anywhere to go? When I had my navel and cartilage done all those years ago, I went to Kazbah in Leicester, which was nice and clean and professional, but it was rather like a production line! I have no idea if it's even still there or if it's still a good place to go?

I am about exactly between Peterborough and Leicester if anyone can recommend a decent place?

Coming from a family of people with allergies to weird things (eg mother was allergic to cotton!), there is definitely not anything which is completely non-allergenic.

Not sure where is good to go in Leicester these days, it's been a long time since I had anything done, - but will ask friends who should know

I had my tragus done a couple of years ago. I had absolutely no problems with it healing, but it was a lot more painful than having my ear lobes done, which was my only other experience of piercing, and it was painful to touch for a long time afterwards, much more than I expected. I don't want to exaggerate, it wasn't keeping me awake or anything like that, but I think it was months before I could touch the piercing without feeling discomfort.

I had mine done at the Blue Banana in Nottingham. There is a really good place in Leicester that my friend has used, it's a tattoo place but I think they do piercings as well - can't remember the name but it's near Mrs Bridges Tea Rooms, which I'm sure you will know!

Thanks both. Olly, I wonder if the place you are thinking of is Kazbah? :think: I just Googled Mrs Bridges Tea Rooms (didn't know where it was!) and it's near Silver Lane which is the same vicinity as Kazbah.

Thanks for the info on healing times and what to expect. I guess the only way I'll know is to get it done... Oh decisions decisions...

I had mine done about 10 years ago and i'd say it took about 6 months to feel ok and a year before it had fully healed. It is quite a thick piece of cartilage (it crunched when they pierced it :? ) so it does take quite a long time to heal but then again it will differ from person to person. I had another part of my ear done a few years after that and it wouldn't heal at all and i just had to take it out so i decided i had reached my limit!

Yes I remember the crunch from when I had my cartilage pierced :shock::lol: Slightly off putting! Okay, so I would need to expect a fairly lengthy healing time then? What's the best way to keep it clean? Other piercings I've had have been nice and easy to gently flush with saline, but how easy is it to do for a tragus piercing, seeing as the back of it is more or less in your ear canal?!

I had my Tragus pierced about 3 years ago. It didn't hurt & it healed really well.

As an alternative to metal, you can in some places have a retainer fitted, which is plastic - I had to have one for my nose piercing, so it was not visible at work. It might be worth asking your piercer about this option, although I am not 100% as to whether is is suitable for somewhere 'hard' like a Tragus, but more for 'soft' areas.

Also do not go to saunas or spas for a good 6 weeks after piercing, & avoid swimming pools too.

Another tip I have learnt from my excellent piercing shop (Urban, in Reading), is not to twist the jewellery when cleaning it, as you were probably taught to do with lobe piercings. They heal much better left well alone, with just a clean up once or twice a day, with either saline or a moisturising liquid that your piercer can supply.

Go for it! I think it is a really cute piercing, & I am sure you will love it :-)

I'm in the middle of a major midlife crisis at the moment and would love to have either my tragus or cartilage pierced - not sure what they'd say at work and my mum would KILL ME - almost makes it worth it just to see her reaction!!!!!! :anxious::oops::lol::lol::lol:

Let us know if you go for it - want full details of the healing process etc!!!! Good luck! :mrgreen:

We'll have to meet up for a hound walk so I can inspect it! :lol:

Sounds like a plan DM! I am definitely leaning towards having it done. I think if I opt for a plastic or gold piercing (I have been doing a bit of googling today and apparently steel isn't ideal for new piercings at all - which explains a lot :roll: ) and resist the urge to fiddle (yes I was given this advice for lobe piercings and did the same for my cartilage and belly, which I guess also didn't help) then I'm giving myself best chance of it healing up without bother.

my mum would KILL ME - almost makes it worth it just to see her reaction!!!!!
As will mine :roll: She had a real strop when I had my second set of lobe piercings, my cartilage piercing and especially my belly piercing - despite the fact that I was 18/19 when I had them done and therefore an adult! And now aged 31 I can be certain her reaction won't be any different! :roll: Incidentally my motivation to have the piercing done is also (minor) crisis related - funny how these things bring out the slightly rebellious side in us!

Someone at work walked past my desk last week and said 'when did you have THAT done!' - pointing at the tragus piercing. I usually have my hair forward, but I'd tucked it behind my ear. This chap sat opposite me for at least a year, and never noticed it - he was completely dumbfounded when I said I'd had it for more than two years! I like it because it's quite discreet, I don't think your work could really complain when so many people have multiple ear-piercings now.

The place I was thinking of is Abody in Leicester - they're a tattoo parlour, but I seem to recall they did piercings as well. And if you've never been to Mrs Bridges Tea Rooms, give it a try - they were in Leicester in the early 1980s when I was a student, and I love the fact that they are still going strong!

Thanks Olly, it sounds like a piercing and afternoon tea is on the cards then! I'm not sure when I'll be able to get it done (so don't all hold your breath!) as I will need to make a special trip into Leicester for this, however I'll phone both Kazbah and Abody and see what the options are for non allergic jewellery before I go. Excited now!

I don't think your work could really complain when so many people have multiple ear-piercings now.

Mine could - we are strictly not allowed anything other than 1 lobe piercing.

Luckily my long hair covers my ears anyhow, so no one has noticed.

It is best not to use surgical spirit, as it can be very drying. My piercing place sells special suff called (I think) Metalmorphosis, which is very moisturising & gentle, but I am sure your place will have either their own stuff or some good advice for you :D

Very brave but worth it,looks lovely and very discreet.When I saw your first post I have to admit to googling what a tragus was in spite of being a nurse.I am not as ancient as my avatar suggests but I had to wait until I was 16 to get my ears pierced once,double piercing was unheard of.

:D It really wasn't that painful, so not particularly brave. In fact I almost hadn't realised the piercer had done it until he said to me, 'Wow you didn't move a muscle, I wish all my customers would stay that still'. I actually thought he was positioning the needle ready to pierce, not that he'd done it :lol:

Anyway, I was older than you, Grandmashazzie, when I first had my ears pierced. My mum made me wait until I was 18. Her way of discouraging anything she didn't approve of was to basically totally forbid it (thus making it more tempting of course :lol: ). The result was that at 18 I got double lobe piercings, my cartilage (which I ended up taking out) and navel pierced. Methinks she'd have done better to have picked her battles more carefully :lol:

And thanks Olly and DM :D Fingers crossed for the healing.