Luvachicken

Nesting birds 2014

I've been lucky enough to get a pair of Great Tits nesting in the box in our front garden (and I can spy on them with the camera inside) but so far nothing else has nested.

I just wondered who has what nesting in their gardens this year, as I asked last year and was very interested to see the replies.

On a different note, I don't have any frogspawn in my pond yet and I'm sure we have by now :?

Last year I had bluetits in one box and great-tits in the other, I was hoping for a repeat as I've had some bird activity in the garden. One nest box is certainly occupied, but not by birds - I saw a queen bumblebee emerging yesterday! I'm very happy to have bees nesting instead.

I'll be interested to hear what you all come up with :D We don't have any boxes here but a whole colony of house sparrows nest under the roof tiles of the kitchen and the outhouse. We didn't get here till the end of April last year and I noticed activity right from then for a couple of months. Nothing so far this year, but it may just be too early :?:

We have lost of little birds nesting in big conifers - sparrows, bluetits, great tits, chaffinches - as well as dunnocks, blackbirds, magpies and different sizes of crows all carrying off twigs and leaves. On Saturday we had a magnificent male bullfinch singing away in the cherry tree - won't take him long to find a girlfriend, he was gorgeous!

Our current favourites are mr and mrs greenfinch, who come and help themselves to beaks-full of dog hair off the patio (we put it out for them). They've taken so much, Dad reckons they must have fitted carpet in their nest :lol:

The funniest ones are the wood pigeons who year on year choose ridiculous size twigs/branches, fly round our garden just about without losing balance just then put it into a heap of a nest which is the most unsuitable place. Last year near our back door perched on the top of the drain pipe. :lol:

We have an assortment of birds living in our roof... it's thatched, and they just crawl in between the top layer and the older roof. Thy make a right mess, but I don't mind them... thy can be quite entertaining... mostly when they fly out just as you pass them and squawk at you like 'you're' doing something wrong and not them.

I don't know what breeds they are