Bramble

Does Anyone Use Amazon Prime?

Just wondering about joining Prime, more for the ability to borrow Kindle books than anything else - just wondering whether the books that are available to borrow are actually worth having or are they sort of obscure things (or things that would be very cheap on Kindle anyway?) I'm sure Omleteers will know!!!

Thanks everyone 8)

Saw this and was curious... this is what Amazon says:

What is Amazon Prime?

Amazon Prime is a membership programme that gives you and your family fast and unlimited One-Day delivery for eligible purchases for an annual membership fee of GBP 79.00. You'll also be entitled to reduced rates on upgrades to Express and Evening Delivery. Amazon Prime includes Prime Instant Video, giving you access to more than 15,000 movies and TV episodes. Members who own Kindle devices can borrow popular Kindle books at no extra cost, as frequently as one book per month, from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library. Choose from over 350,000 titles, including all seven Harry Potter books and other top sellers in the Amazon.co.uk Kindle Store.

Eligible customers can try out membership with a Free Trial.

The lending library looks reasonably well stocked, but then I guess that depends on your taste in literature.

The annual subscription is high :shock: so seems to point towards them targeting high-end users, who order a lot from Amazon, and read/watch a lot too. There's a free trial offer, which wouldn't hurt if you are interested, but I would advise that you are vigilant for when that trial ends so that they don't automatically roll you over onto the paid for membership.

I use Amazon Prime, but I've only borrowed a couple of books from the Kindle library. I joined it originally because it was a cost effective way of getting amazon stuff sent to me. The Kindle library and the more recent free Lovefilm stuff is just an added bonus.

TBH, I forget that the Kindle Library is even available.

Do you have a couple of examples of books or genres you are interested in? I dont mind having a quick look for you to see if they are available.

I decided against it as we don't tend to pay much, if anything, for P&P on Amazon and things get delivered pretty quickly already. I generally only download Kindle books that are free (there are loads if you're happy to take a punt on them being any good!) We also already have Netflix so Lovefilm wasn't an incentive.

It does seem quite expensive too.

Just bought a new computer from them and took on Prime as a monthy trial - the computer took 6 days to come and they have extended the prime but I did not want to take it out anyway but have used it to download a book - only one per month can be borrowed though which is not a lot compared to the Prime prices!! It was a bit of a let down for me,

Thanks everyone! I had just been looking again at Prime and noticed the limit of only one book per month - I read WAY more than that, so I don't think it's something that I'll go for - thought it seemed too good to be true!!!!

Thanks!

I had a shock a couple of months ago when £49 went from my account to Amazon.

I called them & asked what it was for....

Your Prime membership they said (this was the old charge)!

Now, I had apparently signed up for a trial of Prime, something I had no knowledge of, & had been using it for a year :shock:

they refunded me the payment that had just gone from my account, but not the previous years one :twisted:

I took out a free trial but as said above, you need to note your diary very carefully to cancel at the end of the free trial - like most of these 'free trial' offers they rely on people not bothering/forgetting to cancel. The free trial is available most of the time and if you're doing a lot of Christmas shopping, say, then it's worth it for the free next-day delivery.

I'm with ANH though - never pay for delivery anyway, I have Netflix and borrowing one book a month ... :lol: that wouldn't get me through a weekend! I mostly read free Kindle books or the 'under 99p' ones.

Like ANH I just order the freebies for Kindle,I like crime stuff and read about 2 books a week Some are rubbish but some are excellent,A lot of the classics are also free.If you are a member of library they also do a free borrowing service but at moment is limited.I would not order enough to make prime worth my while.

I suspect that it will end up disappearing as Prime doesn't seem to offer much unless you're a heavy user of Amazon.

It's been running a long time now, so not sure it will disappear, however the mandatory LoveFilm seems a bit of a weird combination. The cost of LoveFilm instant was around £72 a year on its own though, so I imagine it's a good deal if you were already a subscriber.

I did used to subscribe to LoveFilm, kind of reminded me of the bargain DVD buckets in Blockbusters (95% rubbish but the odd good film), Sky On Demand is 10x better.

We have used the trial version of Prime three times now mostly because we knew we would be ordering heavily), most recently we tried the film and TV service through a Roku box - that works well.

As mentioned, it does rely on people forgetting to cancel. However, if you go into your account details once you have signed up for a trial, there is a tickbox that prevents the auto-renewal when the trial ends. You do have to hunt for it, though...

I did used to subscribe to LoveFilm, kind of reminded me of the bargain DVD buckets in Blockbusters (95% rubbish but the odd good film), Sky On Demand is 10x better.

It is a bit like that. Lovefilm instant doesn't have that many good things on it. I've used it to watch a couple o fthings that I wouldn't have bothered buying or renting, and enjoyed both of them. I've found that a lot of the things in there that I might watch, I already have on DVD (Once Upon A Time, Firefly, etc).

I'm not too bothered. I signed up for the postage benefit really. It's a bit less of a benefit with the recent price hike, and I'll probably review what we actually spent before the next renewal is due.