sparkysmum

Electric bikes anyone???

Ok please dont all laugh at once but OH and I are thinking of buying an electric bike. No not a scooter but one that you cycle and when the tough gets going you flick a switch and you are propelled up the hill.

We live on a hill and atm drive everywhere, but there is no way I would attempt the cycle back up the hill. Much too much like hard work. So if you have any experience of one or know anyone who uses one I'd love to hear from you. Thank you :!::!::!: Ax

I'm not laughing, I think they are a good idea. I would cycle more but hills put me off. I've developed a difficulty with uphill. I've found a pace when walking that means I can tackle some quite tasty hills comfortably but when cycling uphill I can't pick my pace because if I go slow I stop and risk falling off.

I think a bit of help on difficult hills would encourage me to cycle more and therefore I would and I would gain more health.

When I did the Monsal Trail lots of people were hirting electric bikes and they were definitely having more fun than me.

I officially live at a top of a mountain now (we've just been reclassified), so home for me is at the top of a 2.5 mile hill climb.

I have to admit, that I toyed with the idea of an electric bike, but then I decided No.

That mountain would be conquered. It took me a year of cycling to have the confidence to try it, and I'm not going to lie... Even now (another year down the line) it's still hard work. But it's such an achievement being able to do it. It also gives me the confidence to try other cycling routes I may have avoided.

For example, we cycled in the Nevada desert in January, our guide was very impressed with how we handled "the hills" to us though, we barely realised we wee on an incline :lol:

I do know people who have them, and get on well with them. But they are very heavy bikes too compared to "normal" bikes, so this is another consideration when on the flat or putting them into bike racks if you want to drive somewhere before you cycle.

My advise was do a bit of the hill, see how you go and gradually build it up. If it's too hard, walk with your bike, there is no shame in that (I needed to do it many times! )

Here in the Netherlands loads of people use electric bikes. Of course the majority are about 65+ but more and more people seem to get them. Even school kids now have them, seeing some have a bike trip of more than 15 km, it saves them not only energy, but mostly time too.

Most of the electric bikes here are the ones with peddle support. So you always need to peddle your self too and you can choose how much power the battery is giving you, depending on hill incline, wind etc.

Once you have a bit more stamina, you can turn down the power and you need to do more yourself.

Personally I think they are great and can motivate people, who might otherwise still use a car, to exercise more.

Thanks for your replies folks :D ANH when I told a friend I was thinking about an electric bike, she laughed so hard she must have thought I'd taken leave of my senses :lol:

Cat tails, thanks for your post :D I hope that if I do get one I will def give up the shorter car journeys and perhaps even longer.

Space Chick, am totally in awe, 2.5 miles up hill with no help 8)

Think I'm going to find a demo and have a go, will let you know all about it. Ax

I have been thinking about electric bikes recently. I think one would be a fun thing to have. I will be interested what you think of them after a demo. Halfords NL (Netherlands) have a good range of Peugeot electric bikes and Raleigh dk (Denmark) make a sit up and beg type electric bike with the battery in a saddle bag, it looks like a normal pedal bike. That one is my favourite :) Hoping to take a trip to the Netherlands next year, bike shopping is on the list of things to do there.

I don't have personal experience, but a friend of our was ill when doing lands end to john o'groats and did it on an electric bike with much success . A friend has also bought a full mountain bike electric bike and really gets up the hills well. I believe they both use mainly Eco mode, on turbo the battery range is reduced substantially.

Tracy

Most electric bikes here just look like peddle bikes and have their battery conceiled somewhere. I have had the opportunity once to try one and it is quite an experience.

To Ali-s. My first choice wouldn't be the Halfords when going for an electric bike. It is a nice shop, but it is more specialized in low budget normal peddle bikes then a true electric bike dealer. I would go for a more upper end store, which will give you better advice and not sell you just any bike.

One thing to keep in mind: electric peddle bikes do take quite some maintenance, as they are more prone to needing repairs. My bike shop, where I get my maintenance for my ordinairy bike, mentioned that the majority of maintenance and repairs goes to electric bikes. He put it down to them having more parts and being more complicated, so people are less likely to do small repairs themselves. But it's still something to think about before making a decision.

Yes, I have one and I am not +65 ! I have always been a keen cyclist, commuting to work and when my office relocated 10 miles away, I found ,myself stuck in the car :(

I hate driving, I hate traffic, and I hate how much diesel costs!!!! Becausemof my break from cycling regularly, I found the 25 mile round trip too exhausting, especially when I have tomhurry to/from work to pick up my children on time. We talked about getting a second car (£££££££!!), and in the end I got an electric bike which costs me about 5p a week to run for 80-100 miles commuting. I have a Claud Butler Glide, which looks very like a Dutch bike. I can adjust the electric boost, depending on hills, need for speed and level to fatigue/lazy-ness etc. I carry a massive pannier most of the time, and also use the bike to bob into town, to the supermarket etc. I really loveit,, and my colleague ended up getting one when he saw how much like a "real" bike it is.

I get all the comedy comments abiut riding a mobility scooter, here come the milk float, too lazy to cycle etc.

the fact is, if I wasn't on my bike I would be in a car. This is greener, cleaner, and gives me so much freedom. I have a lovely stress free commute in the summer, and get to work not even sweaty!

P.s. I bought my bike from a local bike shop (not Halfords), and apart from a free service, it hasn't needed any repairs in 2years. I think the brakes will need replacing soon, but that is relatively minor. If you are really considering this, feel free to message me :)

Its great to have a real-life review :D

I haven't used my bike since we've been here in Portugal as it is massively hilly and I do mean massive. We are 500m up, but the killer is that there are virtually no flat roads anywhere unless you drive 30 miles and go 'south of the river' where the plains start :shock: I much prefer a racing bike to a mountain bike, so that doesn't help either :roll: .

I have vaguely considered an electric bike so I could go out with OH who is a very dedicated cyclist and we could enjoy the stunning scenery together. I'm not sure I will, but its nice to have as much info and experience to hand, so thanks :D

Got my electric bike and I looooooooove it :D It is an entry level, small wheel, folding bike. It was a ex demo so much reduced in price. So far I have only used it locally but I would say that it simply flattens hills and takes away headwinds. I will post some pics tomorrow. I am hoping that I will be able to do slightly longer journeys but I am afraid of the battery running out of charge. Just me being silly. Axx