clucker1

Washing the floor with a puppy.....

Well not literally!

How do you wash your kitchen hard floor and get it dry quickly with an active 9 week old puppy around? I presently have a traditional mop and bucket, but other ideas/techniques very welcome! Can crate her whilst I wash it, but it still has to dry and that can take up to half an hour.

Presumably the puppy has dirty feet which marks the floor Clucker1. So can you wash the pup's feet first, then crate her and then do the floor? The puppy can be let out when the whole floor is cleaned but not dried.

Sounds simple to me but I don't have a puppy, only a cockerel. We wash his feet every time he comes in, just for hygiene reasons.

I've got a steamer too and it drys quickly, if I need it dry quick I've got the microfibre cloths from asda which dry it super quick. The bigger 'wet wipes' for floors are great for a quick spruce up, the own brand makes are just as good I've found. Good luck, my parents have a lab that loves to guddle in mucky puddles :lol:

Be careful what you use to clean with and make sure it is fully dried before letting pup back on the floor as certain

chemical can cause problems if the pup licks the floor or it's paws after being on the floor.

Steam mops are good but be careful not to use them to often as they can case damage to all sorts of flooring,

lifting grout from tiled floors, dulling wooden/laminate flooring and also lifting them.

Like i said your pup will get dirtier and you will drive yourself mad trying to keep things clean (talking from experience). :lol:

Give up!!!! and give up sooner rather than later whilst you still have some sanity left :lol:

I brush up every day but as for actually cleaning the floor it's done once :oops: twice a week and the dogs, including the pup go out.

I do have a steam cleaner so it dries quickly but still needs a hoover first to get all the hairs and dirt up.

OK!!! Thank you everyone. I admit defeat gracefully :roll: Yep give up with the floor washing, ha ha, an official excuse now! Think I will stick to hoovering and sweeping...that in itself is interesting, hoovering ok with the puppy, but sweeping...well grrrr! woof! Ha ha ha! Have just worn her out :dance: , off to bed now :D

Embrace the dirt as she will be bring more dirt in as she gets older. :lol:

I like this! My friend once said to me when feeding our kids you can tell which children have dogs at home because if they find a dog hair in their food they just pick it out and carry on eating, she had black labs. I try to brush myself off after dog cuddling in case I shed them afterwards. Turtle mats or similar are good too to absorb some dirt although I have dogs with smooth hair and long legs so if they lay on a towel after their walk they get up quite clean after half an hour luckily.

We had a guidedog puppy who was quite a little minx. Once when we were walking her, she slipped on a wet manhole cover which she obviously thought was funny. After that washing the kitchen floor was just the biggest fun for her, and failing that if we washed down the patio or it rained she would dash outside, paddle a bit, run back into the kitchen and slide about. I tried to ignore her because that is what you are supposed to do but she was a very funny dog.

She also joined in playing hide and seek, and would hide behind the frontdoor curtain- except she didn't realise that her nose and wagging tail were visible.

So, what do you wash the floor with? I used Ecover on Thursday thinking that would be ok, well it might have been BUT! toilet training has regressed, we were doing really well with few accidents ie one a day and the only thing that I can think has changed is the floor is cleaner. Had 3 wees this am in the kitchen so far :(:(:( so ACTION required before I go bonkers! Have just mopped it with a solution of bicarb of soda, hoping that might remove whatever smell there was there before.

Soda is great for getting rid of smells. I always mop with green soap, but I don't have a piddling puppy. You could first clean it with a bit more aggressive cleaning agent and then after wards have a mop with soda, to get rid of the smell. Soda is great for smells, but doesn't really kill any bacteria or remove much dirt.

Thank you Lavenders Blue and Lillybettybabs. Today was AMAZING! Put Maisy in her crate whilst I washed the floor with bicarb, she went to sleep and upon waking immediately she went outside for a wee and since then all wees have been outside :clap::clap::clap: So it must have been a smell in the Ecover floor wash, also since washing the floor with Ecover her behaviour was manic.....I suppose it must be weird to smell a toilet all around you if you are a dog, if that makes sense?! So I had been using a deodorising spray beforehand which must have worked, but what do I use to wash the floor generally...it is only the kitchen and utility room floor which is hard flooring...Lillybettybabs, thank you for your comment about the washing solution is this for washing clothes or washing up liquid and is there an all in one I can use which will avoid having to do it twice? IE like a normal floor washing solution.

As I say, I use a steam mop and all you put in it is plain water, so it doesn't leave any chemical residue or scents on your floor. It's completely safe as all it uses is steam (this is important to me as Tango drags her meat and bones all over the kitchen floor whilst eating :roll: so I don't want her ingesting anything nasty!) and completely hygienic as obviously steam zaps all the bugs! I love my steam mop!

Oh, and top marks to pupster for keeping the house clean today! :dance:

No problem, this is the one I have CLICKY

It's great for hard floors - really quick and the dirt left on the microfibre pad is quite alarming, so it really does work! :shock::lol: It does nothing for carpets, despite what the blurb says, but I did use it on the carpets when I discovered a flea in the house last year - I used the steamer a couple of times a week to zap any eggs/fleas that might have been lurking there (I also seriously considered putting Frontline on myself as the little blighters refused to bite the dog but had a right old banquet chewing away on me :evil: )