Cat tails

Watching wildlife

I'm camping at my usual camp spot where we go wildlife spotting every year. Often we will at least see a few roe deer.

Last night we came across two female roe deer (roe doe?) with calves, a fallow deer (which isn't native to the area, so must be an escapy) and..... Two badgers!

Never seen a badger in the wild before and they were very close too. Badgers aren't as common in the Netherlands as in the UK and apparently also smaller. But I was chuffed to bits and afterwards did a little badger victory dance. :dance:

Now if only I could see a fox in the wild... :wink:

You are welcome to camp here and see foxes everyday....you can even guard the chickens so they could free range .....

Your wildlife sounds great and I also was so excited to see a badger in the wild, owls are also wildlife I am always looking out for and seeing a barn owl flying towards me was great....

How lovely! We have lots of deer round here, particularly roe deer. It's usually a race between me and the dog to see who spots them first, I win around 50% of the time :lol: I rarely see badgers - quite a few dead by the side of the road :(:(:( but I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of live badgers I've seen. They are one of my favourite wild creatures - beautiful furry humbugs :lol: Surprisingly, it's rare to spot foxes in the countryside, they are much more timid than their urban counterparts and don't cause anywhere near as much bother as the pro-hunting brigade would have you think! (Unless you are a chicken keeper I guess...)

ETA - I forgot to mention owls! We have tawnies, barn owls and little owls resident in our area. I LOVE owls! I've spotted a little owl several times in my village. They are often visible in the day. The barn owls are rarely spotted but can most commonly be seen when there are young to feed. I have never seen a tawny, but hear them a lot, hoot hooting and screeching. It's eerie, but such a beautiful thing to hear.

Not many owls around here, but plenty of other large birds of prey.

Also saw a pine marter the other day! Almost like a fox but a lot smaller and lower to the ground with a very long slender tail. Beautiful thing!

But hey... I can get excited about seeing a mouse in my garden... :roll:

This morning I took the dog for a walk and an owl flew across the path....I am pretty sure it was a tawny owl...

So excited !!!

We get alot of herons here as the house backs onto a heronry - I am always amazed at how big they are ....

(I also get excited at mice and bunnies and frogs always make me jump or scream as they just seem to appear :lol: )

I see bats they get confused by our large pir lamp and sometimes fly around at dusk, there is also an owl which hunts from a neighbours tree and is surprisingly loud! In the daytime we have lots of red kites and one brings its lunch and eats it in next doors large tree I would like to take a photo but it always gives me its back end!

Where I live is named after adders :shock: We certainly have plenty of them, and I've had to stop OH on standing on them before now :shock:

We have just come back from Wales from the part where they did the original red kite breeding/release programme. My brother (lives in Australia) had never seen one before, but they were absolutely everywhere. It soon became boring to say 'Kite' whenever we spotted one! I know they are very common in Bucks/Oxon along the M40 and the Chilterns and I think they have re-adapted very well. My Mum now has one over her garden (Hants) and its doing a good job of keeping the wood pigeons down.

I love watching wildlife, I've become better at it since we've been in Portugal. I find it fascinating :D

Red Kites seem to have spread really well. There was a Red Kite project at Fineshade woods which is fairly close to where I live, so they are very numerous round here too. They are beautiful to see. We also see Buzzards which have only become common round here relatively recently. We also have Ospreys at Rutland Water, but I have only seen them a couple of times. It's amazing to watch them fishing though!

Sadly no red kites here, but plenty of buzzards. My camping spot looks out onto a forest and there is a pair of buzzards nesting in a tree at the forests edge. See them flying around a lot. And also being bullied by a pair of crows.

Also loads of swallows that perch on the high voltage powerlines that run along the camping ground and come to drink in the natural swimming pool.