mullethunter

What are you harvesting / foraging

Plum recipe - I've not tried it, but it sounds lovely :D

http://norfolkkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/cherry-plum-cordial.html

I'm picking blackberries and waiting for the elderberries to ripen so I can make winter cordial.The elderflower version in summer was very refreshing and the berry version is meant to be christmassey and good for colds. I'll let you know!

cherry plums also known as myrobalan plum. are non native to the UK and originate in Southern Europe and Asia the fruit is more round than UK plums. they tended to be used more as an ornamental tree in the UK I found some on a school site a few years back they made some great Jam which held the colour or the plums a nice bright red one and a yellow one that stayed yellow

The cherry plum isn't very special to eat raw (nothing like a Victoria :D ) but it does make superb jelly so I think it would make good jam or cordial. The taste is sharper than a plum. As SJP says the fruits are rounder, and on my parents tree, they were redder than a plum.

As well as the figs for scrumping I forgot to say we have masses of grapes almost ready for harvest. We are eating them straight from the vine, but really they are wine grapes so yesterday OH pressed some for juice and made something called Federweisser, which is a sort of very young wine (like days old), cloudy and yeasty. They produce it in Germany. Its only 2-4% alcohol but so easy to drink so can be dangerous! In a few weeks he is going to attempt some 'proper' wine :shock:

We've done blackberries and OH has made blackberry vinegar which is yummy on salads. Need to have a walk along one of our routes because there are wild damsons. I happily tuck into them while hubby goes ewww too sharp! But if there are enough maybe we could have some jam (slurp). Lots of hazelnuts in the hedgerows at the moment. I have a feeling hubby might not want to do that again this year though. We have elderberries in the garden so I should do something with those. Not many of them though.

Daphene - forgot you lived abroad as I read about the figs. As many ofyou know the other woman in OH's life is his beloved fig in a pot. we have gorged ourselves on them for weeks - when we went away in Aug ES's mates ate 5 which didnt please his nibs. :evil: Now he had to buy some and frankly not nice. I will send him over to scrump figs with you.