Olly

Help please! Cat with 'toilet' problems

Sorry, that sounds awfully coy - my cat doesn't use the toilet! Claudette is 14, and has an overactive thyroid which is controlled by tablets. In all other respects she is healthy for her age, but it's a symptom of the thyroid condition that she has quite runny stools and apparently that is normal even though the tablets are working. She uses a litter tray, as although she has access to the garden she is not an outdoor gal.

About a month ago however, things were very runny indeed and we had some 'accidents' which I charitably put down to her not being able to make it to the litter tray. I took her to the vet who said it was a sort of IBS, she had a course of antibiotics and the equivalent of Immodium for cats, and things improved a bit. I am struggling with what to feed her, high-protein ones seem to make it worse, but that's a subject for another post. However since then there have been a number of instances of her pooing on the carpet, or on the doormat.

I am now absolutely certain that this is behavioural, not health-related - she has used the litter tray twice today, and then just now she got up, walked into the hall and pooed on the doormat, a foot away from the tray (which I had scooped out, although not cleaned completely). I empty and scrub the tray daily, but I'm out of the house for 10 hours or longer every day so I can't be there to 'scoop' it every time she uses it.

I am at the end of my tether - the mat is in the washing machine but she has done this several times on the lounge carpet and in the spare room - I am having to close all the doors during the day, and the carpet is never going to be the same! :roll: I can't carry on like this. The vet doesn't have any suggestions other than 'have a second litter tray' which I'm going to start from tomorrow (Cat No.2 doesn't use a tray. Ever.)

There haven't been any recent changes at home. She doesn't get on with my other cat, but that's nothing new. I can't understand why she's doing this - does anyone have any suggestions? I'm desperate.

Second litter tray would be my first suggestion.

Toilet problems are sadly nothing new to me... iPoes sometimes does it on my bed... :vom:

You could get clump forming litter which makes it far easier to keep clean as you also scoop out the pee. I use Intersand Extreme Classic, which is a fine grit with lavender or baby powder smell. I only clean the box completely about 3 times a year! Scoop once a day. This would also absorb any loose stool, so to minimise any mess.

I would put the second litter tray on the place where the mat would be. As a hint. Worked for my cat.

Also switch to high quality food like Royal Canin or Hills. These feeds tend to give less poo. Don't feed wet food as it tends to loosen stool and that's certainly not what you want!

Mine loves Royal Canin Pure Feline Beauty or Exigent.

Wash any dirty area's with either soda or Biotex. This removes any odours that might remind your kitty. As a last resort, you can try feeding your cat on the place where the mat should be. Cats normally don't poop where they would eat or sleep.

Don't despair. There will be something that will work.

Edited by Guest

Thank you - can't tell you how much better that has made me feel already!

I used to feed dry food, but was advised to move to wet food when she developed the thyroid condition as it can lead to kidney problems apparently. Quite honestly at 14 I can't see it's going to make much difference - I may try the Hills, it hadn't occurred to me that wet food could be contributing to it.

iPoes is very sensitive to different foods and brands like Whiskas and Felix actually gave her very runny poo. Since then I put her on Royal Canin and that produces very little, not smelly and dry poo. Ideal for scooping.

She is a incredibly picky eater (missed a few how-to-be-a-cat lessons...) and she doesn't eat wet food. Has never stolen or eaten anything from my plate either. Even when offered... :roll:

Go for the second litter tray and keep her in the kitchen or somewhere with a hard floor while you're out. At least any "accidents" won't be so hard to clean up.

When Cleo went through her soiling phase (insecurity when Tozi moved in), I discovered Four Paws Industrial Strength Stain and Odour Remover for the carpets and other things that didn't wash. It does get the stains etc out and the smell is meant to discourage them from coming back. Cleo did get past her phase and is completely clean now.

If Claudette could tolerate it with the IBS, raw food very much reduces the amount of waste and the poo tends to be very solid. I can always tell if Cleo's been eating something she shouldn't, as there's no smell with raw food and she can clear the room if she's eaten anything else :vom: - and it's runny :vom:. I use chick crumb in the litter trays, as it clumps nicely, can be scooped and flushed and doesn't have any particular smell with it. It's also very cheap in comparison with other flushable litters :D!

All the best.

"Clear a room" - my cats poos could clear the street. :shock: If the litter is the slightest bit "old" and by that I mean clean but used she'll poop on the wooden floor. Easy to clean but not pleasant esp if like OH you tread in it with bare feet. The air was the darkest of blue that morning as he cleaned foot, dettoxed foot and floor. :lol:

The similar cat litter to cattails is Catsan ULTRA clumping but needs to be the ultra one - very like sand but excellent clumping - again I dont need to scrub out for months as its that good - if IBS is a problem try and ask the vet for some Royal Canin feline sensitivity pouches - it does work and they all love it - it smells really good and helps the gut.

Thank you for all the suggestions. It hadn't occurred to me to try changing the type of litter, so I'm going to experiment with a clumping type.

Some Royal Canin is on order and while I'm waiting for delivery both cats are back on a chicken-only diet, which makes them very happy! The vet suggested this before just for three days to calm her tummy, and I badly need a break from carpet shampooing. It's been a real help to know I'm not alone in this!

One other thing just occured to me. Do your cats have outside access through a cat flap? Might be that a neighbour cat is visiting your house and making Claudette insecure. I have a tom cat who is doing his utmost best to live in my house and iPoes is not appreciating his efforts. Might have triggered her "accidents" on my bed again...

On the other hand, iPoes wasn't in front of the line when brains were handed out... :roll: Her tiny head is easily overwhelmed and she sort of short circuits. :lol:

Thank you so much for all your replies. The intruder point is a good one, Cattails - in fact there are several 'visitors' during the day/night here, but they seem to be tolerated by my cats. :roll: I'm fairly sure the current problems are down to Claudette's runny tummy, and her dislike of using a litter tray that's already been used once.

I can't believe that I hadn't thought of clumping litter - to be truthful I was a bit nervous about changing the litter in case it put her off - I bought some microgranule litter from Waitrose, and not only is it much less prone to being kicked about but it smells nice too! So far I have been able to scoop the tray out and I can't tell you how happy I am not having to empty it and hose it down twice a day.

This has also been helped by the Royal Canin, thanks for the tip Blackrocksrock - there are so many types of 'prescription' diet that I would not have known which to choose. She scoffs it up, and touch wood there have been no accidents now for 48 hours which is pretty much a record in the last two months, and what she is producing is a lot closer to normal than I've seen in ages. Obviously she'd still rather eat the wet food that her housemate is eating but he will be moving on to biscuits too, I think as he seems to like them.

I am so grateful, I was really reaching the point where I didn't think I could cope any more and this has transformed things. I'm just a bit frustrated that I didn't get this advice (or any advice, really) from my vet. It must also be much better for poor old Claudette not having such a runny tum, can't have been any fun for her either. Fingers crossed that we have turned a corner - I hope so as my sister is staying tomorrow night and I'm away, and she will have hysterics if there are any out-of-tray incidents! :lol: