Egzandra

Thinking of moving to Shropshire

Hi Omleteers

I am sure there must be people on this forum who live in Shropshire. We are thinking of moving away from our area in North Herts later this year when our fixed term runs out on our rented house, and were originally planning to go to Norfolk. But Shropshire appeals to us as well. If you live there, and we have been looking on Rightmove for some properties around Telford, is it nice to live there? We would like to be near to a nice lively church, my husband wants to be able to join a group for singing, I'd like to be near to craft shops/college and near to a hospital as I work in the NHS, and we both want to live somewhere scenic, and I want to be able at long last to keep some chickens. Any thoughts, anyone?

My MIL lives in Cleobury Mortimer in Shropshire (and her house is for sale)

Lovely village with a lot of little shops and a fab hardware shop.

One of the best places she takes us to is Clee Hill - the most fantastic views ever - I could live on that hill ........

The church has a twisted/wonky spire and is famous for that. I know she has a lot of church friends.

Hope you are successful with your house hunt :D

Hi, thank you so much for your replies. I have looked at Shifnal and Cleobury Mortimer on Rightmove and there appear to be properties in our price range around there. We need to start paying Shropshire a visit soon to check out the surroundings. We have not discounted Norfolk though nor anywhere else that is no more than two hours journey from the family. And it would be lovely to go on Escape to the Country!

I am so looking forward to having my chickens. Very excited :D

Come to Lincolnshire. We moved here three years ago and absolutely love it. We are only 3 miles from the coast as the crow flies and have some wonderful beaches . We quite often visit the nearest one which is vast and hardly ever see another soul there. The dog loves it. We live in the country and have 3 acres with 2 fishing lakes. We have chickens (of course) and regularly see squirrels, hares, barn owls and water voles in our garden. Property here is quite cheap too. Within 8 miles we have the lovely market town of Louth with lots of individual shops and there are regular craft and farmers markets. For music lovers there are lots of music events and bands. :lol:

Shropshire is a very beautiful county, we actually drove between Kidderminster and Ludlow earlier last year, checking out potential properties. In the end though, it wasn't for us because of OH's work, but the scenery is stunning and the towns are lovely(I really love Ludlow). We also looked at properties in Kimbolton, just over the border in Herefordshire, and some of the countryside amazed me! We were told that Herefordshire is England's hidden gem, very low population and cheap property if you don't mind being fairly isolated.

We also visited Ludlow last summer, I'm another huge fan :D and we also spent a few days in Herefordshire and Wales. I would really like to live somewhere within a 30 mile radius of Ludlow as its so interesting and pretty and full of independent shops and art and craft and things to eat and drink. I thought the Herefordshire countryside was stunning in a cornfield and rolling hills type of way (which is what I love) and the Welsh countryside was stunning in a different, more green and sharply hilly way. There would be so many new places to discover and walks to have. I've been looking at the property prices and they strike me as very reasonable, comparing them to prices down here in the SE. The only negative for me would be the weather, I'm sure its wetter than where we are currently.

Some nice places in Shropshire. In particular Bridgnorth & If looking round Telford, then The Wreakin area is the nicest. Whitchurch is a bit drab, as is Market Drayton. There is a lovely place called Whittington - that is lovely. Nice pub & a small castle. Another lovely place is around Ellesmere.

Good luck with your searching.

Emma.x

Ohhh yes I've seen a few in Cleo and Shifnal and it all looks so pretty. Still stuck here at the moment. We'd like Herefordshire, but Shropshire, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, and Warwickshire are all on our possibles! I can't do anything but look and hope something similar comes up when we are ready.

Hope you find somewhere lovely.

Thank you for the lovely replies. Not been to Shropshire yet, but we have been looking on rightmove at Lincolnshire since the post by Countrygirl. We will probably have some visits there as well, but today we went to Norfolk on a gorgeous sunny day when everything was sparkling and very beautiful even though it is the middle of winter. Looked at some properties around Watton, then went to Dereham for lunch and look round. We finished up in Downham Market for tea having driven there via Kings Lynn. It was a lovely day and a wonderful start to our house hunting.

Thank you for the lovely replies. Not been to Shropshire yet, but we have been looking on rightmove at Lincolnshire since the post by Countrygirl. We will probably have some visits there as well, but today we went to Norfolk on a gorgeous sunny day when everything was sparkling and very beautiful even though it is the middle of winter. Looked at some properties around Watton, then went to Dereham for lunch and look round. We finished up in Downham Market for tea having driven there via Kings Lynn. It was a lovely day and a wonderful start to our house hunting.

You would have passed my village if you went from Watton to Downham Market :!::lol: Private message me if you are coming this way again and pop in for a cup of tea and see my beautiful village. :D

You would have passed my village if you went from Watton to Downham Market :!::lol: Private message me if you are coming this way again and pop in for a cup of tea and see my beautiful village. :D

Same offer here in Lincolnshire. :D

Hi, thanks everso for these lovely offers, we will certainly pm you and see if you are available to have a cuppa with when we are in your area next. We did like that area of Norfolk that we saw at the weekend, but I am sure we would love other areas of it too. Newcountrygirl, in reply to your last email, we have been thinking of the area around Market Rasen but of course we don't know where to go yet. :? Confusing, but exciting too.

Egzandra - there are lots of lovely areas around Market Rasen although I would stay away from the actual place as it gets very busy because of the racecourse. Louth is a lovely market town and has lots of individual shops. Horncastle too is lovely - the villages just outside it - again not directly in the town. It is well known as an Antiques town with lots of antique and collectable shops. Some nice areas are: Thimbleby, Alvingham, Marshchapel, Grainthorpe, North and South Cockerington, Legbourne, Saltfleet, Belchford, and of course South Somercotes (where we live). If you put any of these areas into rightmove you should see plenty of property. Market Rasen area is a bit more towny - if you know what I mean. Of course it depends whether you have children and their ages etc plus how much land you want and your budget. Currently in our village there is The Old Rectory for sale which is a lovely old house with 3 acres, plus 2 letting cottages and outbuildings - just under £500,000. Also a 3 bed detached house with a large front garden £129,995 (needs updating), a two bed detached bungalow with about 3 acres for £215000 or thereabouts and a 4 bed detached house with a good sized garden and outbuildings for £199,995, and a larger detached house with 10 acres and outbuildings for about £365000. Hope this helps - let me know if I can help in any way. :D

Thank you so much, Newcountrygirl for that information, I have had a look on Rightmove at some of the places you mention and they do look lovely. When we've decided which weekend(s) we are going to visit Lincolnshire I will look again to see what has come up. It is good to get inside knowledge like yours and thank you for your enthusiasm, you sound very passionate about where you have chosen to be and that makes it tempting for us.

What we are aiming for wherever we go is the edge of a small town/village where we can be near the countryside and within walking distance of transport (if ever we can't use the car) and a community for example joining a church with lots of projects going on, indulging my crafting streak so there would have to be a bit of a sewing bee or to start one, indulging my husband's singing streak, and to find a group of chicken buddies to share chicken talk and reciprocate holiday care for the chickens. Other different things to try as well. That would be lovely. We want to have a nice garden but not a huge one, and we want a private garden but to be near people as well.

It is quite funny that this thread originally called "Thinking of moving to Shropshire" is also about other places like Norfolk, Lincolnshire too!

I am a singer too. We are also bikers and that was part of the reason we came to Lincolnshire as there are lots of motorbike related events. Here in our village we dont have any amenities except for our lovely old church which has some 14th century bells. Unfortunately it doesnt have regular services any more but locals can use it for ceremonies. We as a village use it to hold our Xmas get together with mulled wine, mince pies and carols. We also hold events on our Jubilee Field which was gifted to us by one of the local farmers and we have a village fete and car boots sales etc on that.

The next village 2 miles along from us is North Somercotes and they have two mini supermarkets, cash points, two pubs, Chinese takeaway, Indian restaurant, fruit and veg shop and hairdressers. There is a primary school and a Senior Academy, a doctors surgery and a dentists. There are also lots of clubs - such as New Age Curling, Zumba, Gardening, Bowls, and loads more. They also hold regular craft fairs too. There are buses which go to Louth and Grimsby. I have walked into the village on occasion and it takes me around 35 minutes. From our village it is also possible to walk along a bridlepath to get to Saltfleet and Saltfleet Haven where there is a beach and a garage. There is a bus which comes into our village twice a week which you just stop and get on outside your house and also a minibus service which you can join and ring them to take you anywhere you need to go and costs about the same as a normal bus journey.

With regard to the church - there is a lovely old church on the road between us and north Somercotes and they have lots of events which the community get involved with. There are usually quite a few Art Festivals in the surrounding villages during the summer. As for the chickens - here in our village a few of us keep chickens and we take it in turns to look after each others when people are away on hols. Hope this helps. p.s dont know if you are on facebook but if you are - request me as a friend (Corinne Duma) and you can see my page.

Hi there

Sorry everybody that this is still the Shropshire thread, as we have not actually been there yet! Today we had a trip into south Lincolnshire to look at two properties, one in Tattersall near Coningsby and the other at a place called Horbling. Both were stunning, but we thought the second one, although Horbling looked gorgeous even in the weather we have had today, was a bit too remote for me. The first one had a very long garden and at the end of it was a path to go into Coningsby, although the front of the house was actually in Tattersall. It really ticked all the boxes, although we have to do some research first before we decide whether to jump in or to wait for a while and see what else comes up.

Coningsby has the RAF base where the Remaining Lancaster Bomber flies from. If you want to be a bit nearer a market town try around the Spilsby area - there are some nice little villages and Spilsby is a lovely little place. We lived in a village called Little Steeping when we first moved to Lincolnshire - its just outside Spilsby. We didnt like it though. It has a lovely pub but the villagers just werent welcoming. We couldnt believe the difference when we moved to South Somercotes. Within 2 weeks we had been invited to various things in the village and been invited to become a Parish Councillor. If you fancy coming this way - let me know. I can let you have info on some lovely places.

I'm really green, Egzandra, that you have the option to go just anywhere (Lincolnshire, Shropshire, Norfolk etc etc) It must be so exciting but scary too. I admit that when I think of doing an 'up sticks' , I wonder if the dream wouldn't be better than the reality. I'm scared of moving somewhere different and then being disappointed, lonely and stuck / not able to afford to go back to the SE :anxious: (Perhaps I just lack dynamism :oops: )