clucker1

The Billion Dollar Chicken Shop

On last night BBC1, well I threatened to screen it live to my chickens. I hope that welfare doesn't constitute free range. I didn't know KFC is such a big business. Who eats the stuff? Millions of us apparently. How do they get the finished product to that weird yellow colour, doesn't look very natural to me. I'm off my soap box now :lol:

What cracked me up was the bloke saying that the chickens were happy!! I don't think so! I also noticed that they showed them at 19 days old when they still had some space in the shed, guess they wouldn't want the public to see how dreadful it was at 42 days!!

I also couldn't believe how many chickens were already struggling with their breast weights at that early stage :shock:

I ranted at the TV the whole time!!

As a lot of the "management speak" was also doing my head in too :lol:

So glad to be vegetarian!

Ditto.... i think meat is no longer a treat it's expected at every meal now, when I was young...yawn...we had meat a couple of times a week and a chicken on Sunday was a real feast...Monday's was egg and chips, if we had leftover meat from Sunday that would be on the plate too but if there wasn't alot to go aroundd dad got that.

I thought it was normal but maybe we were just poor :lol: we certainly didn't have bags of Chrisp,chocolate and buiscuits in the cupboard all the time.

Toast for breakfast and soup or a sarnie for lunch

........... which bring me back to my favourite anthem of buying good quality, free range, locally grown meat, buying less and making it last more. A roasting bird will last us ages as cold meat, or in other dishes, then the carcass for stock. For other meat, the cheaper cuts are a dream in the slow cooker for tenderness, then eaten as a stew/casserole, or in pies.

My grandparents mostly grew their own meat, and were brilliant at using it wisely, and living frugally.

yhst-51648428696253_2169_379796

........... which bring me back to my favourite anthem of buying good quality, free range, locally grown meat, buying less and making it last more. A roasting bird will last us ages as cold meat, or in other dishes, then the carcass for stock. For other meat, the cheaper cuts are a dream in the slow cooker for tenderness, then eaten as a stew/casserole, or in pies.

My grandparents mostly grew their own meat, and were brilliant at using it wisely, and living frugally.

yhst-51648428696253_2169_379796

I'm with you entirely, DM :D

If a chicken doesn't feed us for 6 meals I am disappointed.... Usually the roast dinner, a couple of days as sandwich fillings, a pasta dish, a curry and soup from the carcass stock and reclaimed meat from the boiled bones. People are shocked that I spend £11 on a free range chicken from the farmers market. I am more shocked at my friends who buy a £3 chicken from Tesco, only use the breasts and throw the rest out :shock: That to me is obscene on so many levels :notalk:

Not watched it yet but may do on catch up if I can - I agree re the free range chickens being great value for money - I get mine now at Lidl as they have Scottish free range ones - M & S had Irish ones - so why on earth would I buy an irish chicken when I live in Scotland and they produce them here I do not know but as local as possible is the key. I am also amazed at people who have never used the carcasses for soup = we lived on that as youngsters, good wholesome soup from stock and veg and I still always have a soup pot on at the weekend and freeze it for during the week.

I could never go back to buying a store cheap chicken after watching Hugh so many years ago - the girls are so happy outside in the field scratching and enjoying life that to see them in a shed is horrible.

If a chicken doesn't feed us for 6 meals I am disappointed.... Usually the roast dinner, a couple of days as sandwich fillings, a pasta dish, a curry and soup from the carcass stock and reclaimed meat from the boiled bones. People are shocked that I spend £11 on a free range chicken from the farmers market. I am more shocked at my friends who buy a £3 chicken from Tesco, only use the breasts and throw the rest out :shock: That to me is obscene on so many levels :notalk:

That is awful (re your friends who just use the breast and discard the rest!) I wish a chicken would do more than two meals here, but there are 5 of us here (2 adults and 3 teens). If I roast a chicken, I try to always boil the bones for stock, or freeze to make stock another day. I have recently discovered a Scottish dish called Stovies and we have that on a Monday now to use up leftovers. I don't make mine as wet as the recipes I have seen. Its more like a shepherds pie crossed with lamb hotpot and it makes a small amount of meat go a long way.

Its on TV now so I had a look at this thread so I don't think I will bother.

Dogmother and Spacechick. Betty Mutha and Wardrobe are disgusted at your comments, I tried to say you were dispatching them to holiday homes but they did not believe me. :lol: