mimi5

Please help poorly 5 week chick. sad update

So my bunch of apparently all cockerel pekin boys has a poorly fellow. Today I noticed he was a bit wobbly on his legs...... So decided to watch them all closely (been at work for the last 2 days and haven't seen much of the babies :( ) He is a millefleur chick and he was obviously a boy early on and getting bigger.

He's wobbly on his legs can't seem to perch (falls off if he tires) Not eating much I got hold of him and his crop is empty :( He's laying down a lot and cheeping lots too.

Is there anything I can do??? Should I separate him from the others???

Feeling really worried and a bit jinxed :(

Update

Just popped out to check on him again and got him out for a once over. He is thin and now I can see smaller than all the other boys (8 rushing out in the morning it's hard to see who's who :oops: )

Hi toes seem to curl in on them selves and if I lie him back they fall away from his body rather than tuck in close to him. dare I say it Marek's? But in such a young chick? Where, how, why??

Edited by Guest

Thanks chickabee :D They ended up having the coxoid for a week and the aprivo plus for the week after.

I'm just so puzzled :think: I did remove a little ramp they had from the classic enterance to the ground. They are SO big and often fly through the opening I didn't think they needed it anymore. Could it be an injury?? He has eaten and drunk this afternoon. Should I separate him??

How are the other skinny wise and I know it sounds harsh but I would see if you can get someone to cull him sorry I only say this as I don't think it's fair to keep him on his own and at the end of the day he is a boy and I find they never really thrive if the cocci gets a hold leanne :(

This is a pic I took. his legs splay. I 've been to check on the others and Martha and they are thin too!!!!!!

What on earth has happened????? They have been eating and drinking and fighting today!

Should they all be culled??? I don't know how :cry: I do want to learn. Is there anyone near me who could help??

20150516_204510_zpsbal2clfn.jpg

assuming their not ill or have red mites it could be the feed's out of date if their on chick crumb that does go off quicker personally I'd get some new feed .broodies can be a bit under weight as they don't always eat enough as they are to busy feeding the chicks

at 5 weeks I'd be tempted to put them on growers

I wouldn't just in case it's the feed it'll also help you gage if it was a feeding issue. if it's in a poly bag you don't know how old the bag that it's come from is or how long it's been open. it's a gamble we take I've brought chick crumb the same way in the past. I don't feed it to my chicks anymore as I use a chick starter pellet from hatch to about 12 weeks old

if it's not medicated give it to the layers as a treat

They all seem to be tucking in to the growers :D The little boy is still not right but better than yesterday & his toes aren't curled. He will eat the pellets from my hand & I've seen him drink, even run off and bop another brother, twice!

So another nerve racking night for me ( not much sleep last night) But should I take him to the vet??? Or watch & wait but I am at work 8-7 tue :think:

I also put ACV in their water today.

I have a vague recollection that coxoid treatment and ACS medication in chick feed react against each other in some way, but I can't be sure as we use neither. They either cancel out or cause some ill effect? When we last bought chick crumb by the Kg it was medicated.

Our bantams have just gone onto growers pellets at 5 weeks but we have had problems in the past with the transition. Sometimes one or two have problems eating the bigger pieces so don't eat. They need to be checked that they are all eating either by watching them carefully or by looking at their crop. Of course then you get individuals that decide the wood shavings bedding tastes better!

the ACS medicated does' a similar job as coxiod the ACS is a preventative coxiod is a treatment mainly for pigeons as I don't think it's actually licenced for poultry so in theory if the chicks are on ACS/medicated chick crumb then they shouldn't need coxiod.

So little chick was better, but still not right and as I'm at work 8-7 tomorrow, no hand feeding.....I thought I would get him checked over. Still had a bad feeling.

Well the vet was very puzzled and she went and got a more senior vet as she just was stumped! The senior vet (lovely lady she is my cocker spaniels vet :D ) Checked him over and found a large mass in his abdomen :( So sadly he was PTS. They will do an autopsy and let me know if the others will be ok........it might be Marek's but not necessarily :cry:

This will be my last hatch :( Thank you for all your support and help. I will let you know what the out come of the autopsy is.

Thank you all. I know he was a boy and I was dreading finding them all homes. But he was beautiful and so little and deserved a longer shot at life.

The vet did get back to me about an hour ago. She said all his organs seem fine and there was no evidence of parasites, the lump was his gizzard. So they are sending away samples for testing and hopefully i will get the results by the end of the week. She did say I'd made the right call. So we'll see....

Others all seem fine :D:anxious: Going to be watching them like a hawk :roll: