Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Oooo, could do with a little rain right now. It is really BAKING out there.

Took the dogs out first thing, then at 10am for a walk through shady woods with a friend, the loons are now stretched out on their beds, fast asleep and twitching in their dreams. I am working outside again today, under a parasol, but have to come inside every half hour to cool down!

I don't envy you there - I was just cleaning the bathroom and leant on the side - I created a condensation handprint!  My fingers are so sticky that the ironing was smoothed out well enough to run the iron over, oooh ever so quickly!  OH is still baking outside - I really need to unearth the spuds and if it's going to rain then I need the onions under cover too!  Yikes!  
And then number one son might be coming today or tomorrow.  I'm waiting for the call to collect at the station in Tiverton - then again - not!  LOL!

We have a slight breeze that wafts in - it's cooling down my bare toes!  LOL!  But looking out the window to the south, the dark clouds are gathering.  A bit of rain in Cornwall but building up, while Plymouth and Kingsbridge are getting rain, so it's coming up, thankfully no storms yet.

I was at Reading Festival yesterday - SOOO HOT!!!!! Every little bit of shade had people crammed in. Absolutely brilliant but 32 degrees is a bit much for that sort of thing!! Left London and then Wargrave in the low 30s early afternoon and am now just passing through Exeter on the train on my way home and the clouds are getting thicker and the people on the platforms more covered up! Valkyrie I should’ve waved as I went through Tiverton just in case!

Lightning maps sounded just off the coast at Swanage and near Luton.  The local one has picked up Exeter half an hour ago but didn't show on the lightning map.  Probably isolated flare ups.  All change regarding our storms - 11am instead.  It looks like the weather from the US is pushing the stormy weather away.

In the middle of the night we had two hours of lightening and thunder, some of which shook the house, gusts of wind but hardly any rain. The electricity supply went off for a minute, which is very unusual down here. Strange thing is the weather forecasts very rarely mention nighttime; seems you are expected to work it out for yourself somehow? Fortunately nothing had been left outside.

This gives us a fair idea, but they update it regularly - we have no storms now.  Funnily Dartmoor always gets rain and storms but I can see a clear gap in that region while we have the rain!  LOL!

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/7-day

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

and the Accuweather for the UK but they changed it recently and I don't like it so much.  Plus Tripadvisor ads kept popping up over the lot!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/national/satellite

There looked to be some humdinger storms over Spain - which still has them, Portugal had a few and France has had a session too.  A lot in Austria - I guess it's stormy season.  I've been watching the Hurricane centre too - again Accuweather changed that so it's not as easy to see as before so hunting for a different site!  I don't understand what was wrong with the satellite before - it showed swirly clouds with or without eyes but now they colour it - to me that isn't necessary unless you need the rainfall - I just want to see the clouds!

But hey ho I digress - OH, DD and her partner are off to Florida and the Lightning.org really picked up some storms all around the state! 

Hazy sunshine and the clouds are layered - some puffy, some stripes and depending on how they move the sun gets stronger and then goes again.  Interesting and as you say - cooler and more comfy!  I had a Bligh*****ch notification today so I'll keep my eye on it.  Toms should be OK in the greenhouse and almost all of the spuds are up - just the maincrop.

Please send it on down here, DM! Forecast promised thunder at 1.00pm but not a sniff of rain or cloud so far. Still just HOT! Tomorrow seems to be much cooler though so hopefully this tropical weather will be over for a while. I do feel terribly cheated when thunder is promised but fails to show!

It's been exceedingly humid here, but when you stop moving it feels cooler (probably being drenched with perspiration assists the cooling down!) but it has clouded over - some quite dark - I see a big band of rain approaching almost on Exeter and all the way up to Exmoor - but dry at the moment.  

Oh and it was blight ....watch email for 2 days of that wet and humid weather, so I've taken up a few spuds earlier.  Lots to go.

It's gone straight over my head :roll:

I am obsessed with looking at the weather maps at the moment - mainly because I am remodelling the garden (in what little spare time I have) and it is either too wet or too hot at the moment! We seem to be wedged between a band of rain up the west side of the country, and storms on the right. Nothing here, but it is considerably cooler.

12 hours ago, mullethunter said:

It took me ages to figure out what Bligh.....ch was!

Me too - I wondered what I'd written that needed asterisks! :lol:

I have been addicted to the weather things for years now.  Sometimes I need to step away!  But at the moment it's handy for timing the veg, doing the birds etc.  Exhausted myself yesterday with the humidity.  Back to possible storm 45% chance this afternoon.  I see the weather front approaching but it's sunny at the moment.