Christian

The Weather Thread #9

I was thinking about you and your family when I saw it was heading for Japan!  Thankfully it isn't category 5 now - even so, it's still big!  Really nasty storm so hopefully it will lessen even more now.  Is this normal for this time of year - seems to run along with hurricane timeline or is it slightly different?

Yes it's normal typhoon season. The various rugby teams had to sign up for accepting that some matches could be delayed. We got caught up in one in October two years ago although that was pretty mild and was just fun but gusty enough for me to be able to say now that I've been in the middle of a typhoon 🌀!!! 😉 

• Like 1

It's a tad wet, been a tad windy and I lie - it's been worse!  This evening going down the road the water was pouring out of the sheep field and across the road - all heading for the Somerset Levels!  If this road is anything like all the others then it's a bit worrying for those on flatter ground.  Over the last 4 days we've had 2 inches of rain - just locked the birds in as we were out this evening and had to empty my gauge otherwise it would have overflowed!

More rain and more rain.......I'd been promising myself I'd dig over the garden, pull out grot, cut back and plant a few bits that have been hanging around on the patio; generally get it ready for winter. Up to about 10 days ago the ground was too dry and now it's too wet. No doubt we'll have first frosts soon then it'll be too hard; sometimes you just can't win :doh:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, patsylabrador said:

I'm still watching the typhoon updates on NHK and terrifying myself 😂 The Tokyo region just had an earthquake as well which is pretty normal but it all looks very grim. My family and in laws are all OK. 

Not another earthquake!  Glad all are well!

Poor you, are the sheeps in their stable out of the rain?

Just got wet AGAIN when I popped out to looks at a lady's chooks - they have bald tummies for no reason. Might have identified the problem, and a tarp or clear waterproof cover over the run was recommended too.

I hate to speak too soon, but it looks like it might be easing off... ideally, I would like to get the dogs out for a longer walk today.

When we left Portugal on Weds we had been having days of 32 and sun, T-shirts and shorts.  Even here in Normandy although its murky its not very wet.  However, I see a yellow forecast for rain back in Portugal tomorrow, so perhaps the UK deluge is on its way south.

Mind you, we have not had a vintage year for the weather, so I reckon perhaps we might be owed a decent autumn.

I watched the rugby, go Japan!

• Like 1

Yes, it eventually cleared here too, so I wheeled out the pressure washer to give the chooks a very good mucking out while I could.

Folks... please make sure that your runs are covered so that your birds aren't squishing around in wet litter or mud; this will encourage the spread of bacteria and fungal foot issues, not to mention intestinal worm eggs. Now that they are spending longer in the run, treat the litter weekly with ground sanitising powder and rake it through, this will eliminate bacteria and help to keep it dry too.

I wonder if I could use the ground sanitising powder in ES bedroom .......... I need a hazmat suit just to deal with his laundry. Ahhh - the joy of teenage boys.

Wall to wall rain AGAIN here today varying only in it's degrees of ferocity. We are promised a day off tomorrow though before another deluge on Wednesday continuing through to the weekend. Just can't believe that there is any more water up there :o. Our neighbour was using a power saw in his garage most of the day yesterday; I think he's building an ark.

• Haha 1

I know how you feel - it all changes for girls.  Pity the weather doesn't change too!  My FIL was saying about the jet stream pushing the rubbish over - so I showed him the link to the weather with the jet stream - slap bang on top of us!  He laughed and said oh dear!  Well today was dull and dismal.  It did dry for about an hour, but that was about the best it could do.  Low cloud made it so misty.  Took the birds tea out, refilled the duck pool but thought I heard a distant rumble of thunder.  Decided holding a hose if a storm was close was not a good idea!  But this evening I see a storm warning for today over tomorrow.  Funny thing is the rain has stopped.  Not much good at night!

Looks like we should have a few smidgeons of sunshine this week - a little is better than none.  Not looked at the wind though - still as anything at the moment.

After a lovely cold, bright morning, we ended up with torrential rain and thunder, and I mean rain of epic proportions. During which I was out walking the dogs with a friend - we were both 'waterproofed up' but still got wet. The 2 hounds weren't massively impressed, but the new youngster (rehomed 1 year old black cockapoo) loved it, and was racing around in puddles and jumping in mud.

The annual Michaelmas Fair is in town and usually heralds either the start of a cold snap or heavy rain; this year it is the latter and it's the last night. Previously when this happened, they closed up and left early.

It was supposed to be pleasant today, but constant showers were a pain.  Some sunshine and this morning there was a little rainbow in the west.  To the south there was a big black cloud but it looked like someone had carved a huge mousehole in it - could see the blue sky behind a perfectly shaped entrance.  By the time I rushed in to grab my phone to take a photo it had almost closed up.  Pretty eastern sky though.  Totally fed up with the rain.  Looking at the pheasants - they are too!