Christian

The Weather Thread #9

After a very chilly start the clouds have vanished and it's a warm sunny day. Needing apples for Kiwi jam and toothpaste I decided to heed my doctor's advice and get more exercise over Winter. So the bicycle was dusted off, checked over and taken to town, which is just 2km away on what I thought was flat road. First surprise was nearly falling off because, after 7 years, my balance isn't what it was. Second surprise was how unfit I have become in just a few months simply because the ground here is too wet to work on. The first hill and I had to walk up! Anyway on the return trip I had already got better, so just 10 minutes and home; exactly the same time as taking the car (different route).

Windy here (and outdoors too - the joys of living with 3 'blokes'! Sorry, prob WAY too much info but, as the only female..even the 2 hamsters are male.... I try and retain a sense of humour!) Temp very mild - doesn't seem like January at all until that wind just rips through you then....brrrrr!

Overnight temp here forecast to be ten degrees.....I'm wondering if we are going to have a proper winter at all? Maybe it will be one of those years where we get snow into April.......can't help but think that this mild weather will 'upset' nature. The wild garlic is already peeping through and I don't recall that happening much before the end of March in other years. If everything pops up or buds early due to the mild weather and then we have a very cold snap it could kill things off. 

Even chillier this morning at -3C; had frozen drinkers which doesn't happen often under our covered runs in sheltered areas. Not the sort of weather you'd expect in the far South of France. I won't be cycling today DM but perhaps a walk this afternoon as the sky is completely clear so it should warm nicely. We have honeysuckle in flower which is covered in bees. Trouble is they can't take the cold and drop paralysed to the floor, so you have to watch were you are walking in the morning and pick them up to put them in the sun.

It was very cool and blustery here last night, to the point where i got up and shut the bedroom window, which almost never happens. 

Much milder here today and a sparkly start, but the clouds are gathering. I want it to hold as I need to muck out this morning and am meeting Minnie&Moose for a walk later.

We have so much standing water here that the water table is overflowing and all the fields are swamps. The local farmers have been bringing their ewes in to lamb instead of leaving them in he fields with stock shelters.

Someone on FB has now got a moat around their duck house!  Ducks loving the extra swimming space! :lol:  It wasn't intentional, just their paved area is below the level of the grass!  They even added a plank to get across to the duck house - arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

We have had several bouts of horizontal rain while the sun was shining!  I think that is soooo mean - why not just have sunshine on it's own eh? eh? eh?!!!!  On a happier note the wind has dropped a fair bit since our first shower - second was more diagonal.  What next?  Stair rods? :roll:

We've decided against our walk. Although it's a lovely sunny day it's Sunday and the hunters with dogs are out. What worries us is their state after lunch; too many people get shot at here. Last year a wild bore round went straight through a passing car, fortunately missing the driver!

Yeah, as if we hadn't had enough already.  I've battened as much hatches as I can - within reach, but this is in excess.  Bit worried about the high winds on Tuesday and Wednesday, unless they are now whipping up here faster now, because OH is travelling to London, staying with folks overnight and travelling back on Wednesday.  Which also means anything that needs rescuing will have to be done by me, and I struggle in 40+mph!  In fact I think I must look like Peppermint Patty - head down and charge, only I have head down, lean in the wind and stay still!

Storm Gloria hit France as well DM. The West Med coast has just had 5 months of rain in 3 days, many places are flooded and the water is still rising.

We've had the tail end with some rain and very strong East winds from which we have little protection; all houses here are designed for protection from winds and rain from the West. The upside is that -4C in the morning has been replaced by +4C. Lots of clouds, so light showers and very little sight of the sun, so basically it's rather damp and gloomy.

Anyone sick to death of these storms and gloom?  A few fine frosty days (oh weren't they the most welcome sight) were just not enough.  Quite depressing really.  On the other hand the drake seems to think spring is here and pounces on his ladies . . . the wrong way round!  The pheasants are dancing to their ladies - who are having none of that malarky!  I almost feel sorry for the males!  :lol:

The gloom is getting to me too.  The frost and sun was lovely when we had it - I was able to track where the sheep had slept overnight by the frost-free sheep-shaped patches in the field. The sheep obviously liked the sunny weather too - we had lots of skipping and frolicking going on, though given the size of them now, it wasn't particularly elegant or lamb-like - more like 3 wooly mammoths galumphing about🙄

• Like 2

On 1/25/2020 at 10:58 PM, Minnie&Moose said:

She's a Cotswold x Dorset Horn. So the long wool comes from the Cotswold bit - fortunately she doesn't have horns!

Bit like the boy lamb then!  😂, well, he's missing one.

We might be getting the tail end of that snow in the early hours, M&M is further west than me, so would possibly get some. It has got colder through the day, and we had torrential rain in the afternoon.