Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Scary here.......we did secure everything in the garden but next door's fencing has suffered. A number of large trees down on every side of the village, nearly cutting us off but I keep telling my boys that all will be sorted in time for the school bus tomorrow morning, much to their disgust 😋 But we have been lucky......never underestimate the power of Mother Nature!

:shock:

We seem to have lost a bit off our solar panels, like scaffolding connection.  OH can't see where it's from - maybe that was the harmonica player.  The ducks temporary shelter collapsed.  Not that they were bothered - happy as Larry dibbling in the mud and splooshing around in their paddling pools.  I don't know why I worry about them.  At the moment a little robin is peeping outside!  It's still horribly windy.  The wet has got into the chicken run, but nothing like before and still mostly dry under the new tarp - so rather pleased as this is out of the ordinary - or is it?  Just a tad stronger than we have been getting lately!  I have heard a few bangs but not going out to check.  

We did have a few bits of sleet at one time yesterday but it was a fleety sleety session - for a second or two!  During the night there was hail on the windows.  OH oblivious!:roll:  It did sound like we lived on top of a busy motorway as the wind was steady with the gusts getting lesser during the night.  Still breezy this morning but only the motorway sound when we have the bigger gust.  That oak branch is still on the tree but not bending like it was yesterday!  Sun is up too, but clouding a little now.  I gather we are due sessions of rainy patches - I can live with that if there is sun in between!  No visible damage since the solar panel, but they were creaking on the roof during the night.  Ducks are fine, chickens are fine and the structures remained OK.  Duke is randy, chickens still whingey - situation normal!

3 hours ago, Minnie&Moose said:

Breezy and bright this morning. Perfect day to be working at home.

😝

Been bright and breezy here, but very cold. Had some flurries of snow too. I noticed this morning that a house round the corner has had its chimney stack come down...... it has smashed holes in the slate roof front and back, the phone wire is hanging on the ground and there's brick stuff on the pavement outside 😨

Still hail here - but it isn't melting.  Piffle!  You can actually feel the sudden chill when the sun disappears for a short while.  I thought I'd be away wedding dressing this weekend but nope, it's the following weekend instead.  I wasn't going to the Bantam show because of our anniversary - but that's the weekend I'm away.  Bad Koojiebear!  On the brighter side I'll be able to get a card while I'm away!  Brighter still (maybe not for OH) is I'll be coming home on that day.  Who'd have thought 35 years ago we had deep snow that had slowly been thawing when we got married on a particularly hot February day.  The guests all had winter clothes, the bridesmaids wore jeans underneath and had shawls - and I had a gypsy off the shoulder (not in church - elasticated and pulled onto the shoulders - very versatile!) dress and even sweltered without thermals or a shawl!:lol:  DD has my dress, but I was taller than she is!

Agree DM.  Wind is bad, but not as bad as last week. 50+mph rather than almost 70! But the rain is so much worse this time.  OH went to unblock the drain for the 6th time and discovered it wasn't blocked at all - it was sheer volume of water flooding the road again!   I gather a lot of roads are closed not only for flooding but also fallen trees.  Somewhere near Bovey Tracey has been cut off entirely.  Over 2000 homes I gather are without power!

Meanwhile the chickens are all hunkered down in the Eglu run - because they don't like the slapping tarps.  The ducks are in 7th heaven.  Their dibble holes from before are little pools, while the run-off from the shelter where their food is, has a sloping roof and allllllllll the rain has made the ground soft and dibbley and splatterly paddley.  It is now a swamp!

Hubby went out about an hour ago to check our car port was OK, only to find our fence was wobbling around.

DS and I held on to it while hunbby got his tools. First the wind pushed us with the fence and then it pulled us violently, pulling me over with the fence.

Next door, with his muscles, just came and pulled the fence up :lol:

It is safely tucked down the neighbours' alleyway.

My chickens are back in my dining room.

I HATE THIS WEATHER.

I'm just waiting to see how many of the local trees are still standing in the morning.