Christian

The Weather Thread #9

There was a band of rain imminent just after lunch - but we never had it!  I looked on the radar and it actually fizzled out before it reached us!  Quite humid - I said it felt like a thunderstorm was on the cards (I hadn't looked at the weather for ages) but after the clouds passed, it got sunny and very warm.

it's getting very dark here. Radar shows some absolutely horrendous storms heading this way and I hope we don't get them. Just taken some pictures of the clouds and the radar says they are 100 miles away, so very high indeed. Held back on planting tomatoes out as they would need debris netting immediately. Just hope the rest don't get shredded with hail as they did last year.

1 hour ago, Beantree said:

it's getting very dark here. Radar shows some absolutely horrendous storms heading this way and I hope we don't get them. Just taken some pictures of the clouds and the radar says they are 100 miles away, so very high indeed. Held back on planting tomatoes out as they would need debris netting immediately. Just hope the rest don't get shredded with hail as they did last year.

I see those on my storm app - looks horrendous - hope that it isn't too bad for you.

Nothing here yet, but very hot and humid all day, the dog walk at 7pm was lovely though - the fields smelled of damp hay.

Water butts nearly empty again, so codul do with some rain.

Nothing happened? But today we are on orange alert for rain with flooding and yellow alert for thunderstorms with hail. Just had a light shower but it's very dark, so something is going to happen soon. Put the roof and doors back onto a refurbished coop just in time and as a precaution have anchored it down to steel stakes in the ground.

I know it can be lovely but we so often look at the forecast and say ‘I’m glad we don’t live in Scotland’!

Really hot and humid here today despite being slightly overcast and quite windy. Think the cold is supposed to get here this evening but hoping we might just avoid a frost 🤞🏻

Edited by mullethunter

Two inches of rain this morning followed by dry for a few minutes then rain again which looks like it will be with us overnight, so perhaps 4" in all. I do wish it would spread over the year a bit more evenly like the UK. 10C colder but not so bad as it was 26C yesterday and certainly no chance of a frost, fortunately as our veggies would be wrecked. They plant sunflowers here after the 5th May because they are killed by frost if planted earlier. Haven't seen more that a few seconds of sun all day.

It became worse! Rain and strong winds overnight did see another 2" and we've had 1 ½" today. It hasn't stopped raining, no sun and (to us) it's cold. Extensive flooding yet again down in this Region, which seems to have become the norm. Water coming off the top field and the barn means the store rooms (old pig styes) have water running through them and the garage has a wet floor. Constructing a land drain, which will be a rather complicated arrangement, has now moved to nearly the top of the 'to do' list. But getting priorities right, the first thing is to finish the new chicken enclosure (which is 80% complete) and then get some chickens to fill it.

Very English weather at the moment - the extreme heat of early last week has been replaced by a 10deg drop in temperatures and gales. We just had a torrential hailstorm. The wind was very welcome yesterday - my washing machine is awaiting repair, so I had hand washing (unspun) to dry; had to double-peg it though!

All through March, April and May, whilst the UK has been basking, we have been fairly warm in the day, but needing heat at night.  It has also been far wetter than usual and consequently we have been somewhat grumpy watching the weather charts!  As of a few days ago the sun came out properly, and today its 31.  I am in shorts and T-shirt.  Hurrah.  It feels as though a page has been turned for us, at long last.

We turned the heating off in February and had log fires in the evenings until April, so our oil bill this year will be pretty low fortunately, because the £ to € exchange rate is very bad for us.

After all the rain we had nearly 2 weeks ago it turned very warm and dry with the veg needing watering for the last few days. The heavy rain forecast for today didn't arrive and we had a few millimetres at best. Now due to be warm and dry for at least a week, but the bad news is a hot dry summer is predicted; exactly what we don't want! Not shorts weather here Daphne, it's only 18C.

We needed the rain - we got rain yesterday and again today - persistant light rain which is what we needed to get the ground really damp as it was so dry - unfortunately its down to 7 degrees with it from 27 the other day.   Heating is back on yet again and cat is positioned under the radiator streaked out to get warm!   Got to love Scotland really.🤣

I'm with you, MH, stamping feet here too and lower lip jutting out - it's not fair 😡. Feel cheated. The poor garden is parched and OH has overdeveloped right arm muscles from wrestling with the watering can (or is that his drinking arm anyway👋?). Now the water companies are making noises about hosepipe bans, no paddling pools etc........

2 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Forgot to say that the temp today is much better here - I can move without breaking into a sweat (sorry if too much info!) and much less humid tho' I am still sneezing like a major explosion so pollen count must be quite high.

Our pollen thankfully got washed to the ground!   Feel sorry for you.