Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Alternating between sheeting rain with howling wind and brief periods of sunshine - I'm feeling a bit sorry for our new sheep who were shorn only a few days ago and are huddled into the base of the hedge in their field, while our senior sheep are bellowing obsenities at them from the safety and shelter of their cosy fieldshelter🙄 - turns out chickens and sheep share certain traits such as the 'handbags at dawn' welcome for newcomers😂

Edited by Minnie&Moose

They were shorn just before they arrived so I haven't got their fleeces sadly.  But I'll have them next year - if they're good enough I might try and have them made into 'vegetarian' fleeces - where they're felted on the back to keep them together and then can be used as a rug without the animal having to lose its skin.  I'm having this year's fleeces from our original sheep spun and woven into a rug - not cheap but at least it doesn't end up in the compost heap, which was the alternative.

Oh dear it's HOT and getting hotter, so it will reach 38C which, because of the high humidity, 'feels like' 45C says the weather lady. We're not the hottest though as Biarritz in the far Southwest corner is 41C, 'feels like' 49C! Apparently this heat will leave our area tomorrow and settle in the mid-East, where they are on orange alert for high temperatures and thunderstorms with hail. Next job will be watering the chicken runs (and me).

Pretty sheep M&M. We used to keep two horned Jacobs for cutting the lawns and then filling the freezer. Would like sheep here, but we missed out on some very cheap shelters (owners moving to Spain because France is too expensive they said) and our land is still in very poor condition anyway.

I feel for you Beantree.  We have been mostly high 30s for the past 10 days, and had a bad fire very close by.  However, we rarely get the humidity, last time was 2 years ago and it was awful.   Keep those damp towels close by.

Heard a strange noise outside this morning and went to investigate. It was raining! Maybe had half a millimetre, so just enough to wet the surface of the drive. First rain for 4 weeks and none forecast for next; looking very brown around here. Fortunately we only had two days of heat, because dragging 80 metres of hosepipe out when it's 38C to water both runs is a real pain.

The last 6 days have been unbearable with high humidity and temperatures up to 39C. Still no rain to speak of, so about 6 dry weeks in total and farmers complaining bitterly of another year of crop failure. Today a bit cooler we're told, so perhaps 33C and with the prospect of thunderstorms for the next two days, perhaps the end of the drought? Debris netting has been put over the tomatoes; we lost half our crop last year to hail damage.