Christian

The Weather Thread #9

28C inside is very hot AndyRoo. Our peak this year was 25.5C thanks to €500 spent on insulation to the roof of an adjoining room. Even at that temperature our fridge overheats. The motor runs until it cuts out, icing up the elements inside, which then defrost resulting in a pool of water on the floor and the contents of the fridge getting too warm. Solved the problem by running a small desk fan to blow air across the radiator at the back. We have the same problem with a chest freezer in the garage, but that needs a much bigger fan. One day we'll buy a better freezer.

We had our thunderstorm, water butts are full and we'll spend today tidying up the mess from the high winds that preceded it. Fortunately no structural damage.

I hope it changes direction and comes the other way a tad - will be right over us!!! Some heavy rain here on and off - I keep thinking that I hear thunder but it's bin day tomorrow and so could just be folks trundling their wheelie bins around!

My gran and mum always used to call thunder 'God's coalman delivering'.........showing my age there 🙄. Perhaps I should start a new tradition and tell MY boys that it's God putting the bins out 😁.

After hoping for rain for the last two weeks it has arrived this morning and I'm fed up with it already. An earlier downpour filled the butts and we don't need any more thank you. Heard some thunder in the distance but nothing near and now the wind has strengthened carrying that fine drizzle that soaks everything, particularly the chicken's feeders. It's too late for crops or trees now, just means the grass will start growing like mad and the mowers will be out every day, which reminds me we need some more fuel.

Complained about the rain last post and now into the third week without any. The trees are really struggling and we've been leaf blowing already to tidy up. Nine weeks, a heatwave and only one inch of rain.

This morning we had mist in the valley, which is unexpected as they don't start until late October usually. But then I caught the smell of smoke and thought someone had been silly enough to light a bonfire out of season and with a very high risk of it spreading. But the smoke disappeared quickly and i thought no more of it until I saw the news. Turns out it was smoke from the fires on the East coast of America which has been carried over the Atlantic and then stalled over most of France. I can still smell smoke and it's due to stay for the next week at least apparently.

• Sad 2

Due to be 35C here today and I may have to water the chicken runs again but, on the bright side, nothing is growing, even the weeds have stopped. So dry we can't risk any petrol powered equipment yet, in case a spark from the exhaust starts a wildfire, although there is only a little to do anyway. 25C is my ideal as well DM. Spring and Autumn are usually lovely, Winter is short (2 months last year) and Summer is far too dry and hot and pretty miserable unless you are on holiday.

Finally solved our data allowance Ursula123. Sosh have an offer ending today of a 80Gb phone SIM for €16 a month which fortunately works in our mobile Wifi unit. Obviously the free calls and texts that come in the package can't be used, but we don't make/ send any anyway. We've just got to see the SFR contract ended, which had to be done by letter.

22 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

It's been the loveliest day here  - balmy and sunny. Walked the dogs with a friend at 5pm, and it was still 25deg, this is my ideal climate!

Same here DM although a couple of degrees cooler. Topped out at 23. Just lovely. Now if only all the tourists would go home like they usually have started to do by now.

On 14 September 2020 at 11:34 AM, Beantree said:

Finally solved our data allowance Ursula123. Sosh have an offer ending today of a 80Gb phone SIM for €16 a month which fortunately works in our mobile Wifi unit. Obviously the free calls and texts that come in the package can't be used, but we don't make/ send any anyway. We've just got to see the SFR contract ended, which had to be done by letter.

Good news Beantree.

I have just changed our home internet over to SOSH we were paying €36.99 to Orange a month but SOSH are €19.90 for the same service. Silly really as they are the same company. 

Like you waiting for this heat to break, have had enough now and looking forward to Autumn.

You do right to be supremely vigilant Beantree.  We have just had the biggest fire of the year here in Portugal and it started about 0.5km as the crow flies (or about 1km on foot, its all up and down) from our house.  We are all safe and sound, by grace of the wind direction and the firefighters defending our hamlet, but it was horrible, and touch and go for a while. It has been horrendous for many others as the fire spread so fast, by embers on the wind as well as at ground level, and got stronger all the time, it has just consumed forest for miles, apparently 60km.  Its been 'in resolution' for 24 hours but still 500 fire crew and 200 vehicles and some planes up.  No loss of life, although some injuries, some serious including our postie (the fire service is largely a volunteer one, like in France).  So, we are also praying for rain.  It should arrive today, but then it was forecast for Monday and didn't.  The fire started Sun afternoon, on another long hot and gusty afternoon.  The consensus is arson, both unofficially (ie us because we can see the place it is meant to have started and nobody goes there, ever, and there was no lightning etc to have started it naturally) and officially.

That sounds horrendous Daphne. I remember getting caught up in a fire on Zante which had been started deliberately to discredit the current Political Party. Slowly following a police car leading the way, because the smoke was too bad to see the road properly, a bush alongside spontaneously combusted in the heat and burned my arm. Shouldn't have risked it in an open top car.

Still no rain and the forecast is still too vague to know if we will get any. We're watering all the bushes we want to save, so our bill is going to be pretty high!