Christian

The Weather Thread #9

You are all having mad weather, its been entertaining reading your posts.   I especially like the fact that MT and me would be dead if we lived in Scotland, yet BRR obviously thrives on it.  Perhaps hot bins will become the new hot tubs (can you imagine!), I wonder if you could sacrifice some of the heat and use the bin to grow pineapples or melons? And CT, your photo reminds me of a modern day Breugel.  I don't suppose many of us in the UK have ever seen a scene like that, with people skating on a road. Even here its been an odd year so far, we had 10 days of frost which is unheard of (well not literally, apparently it has been the coldest January for 25 years), then our usual 10 days of rain and now we are having a few days of bright sun, the hottest place yesterday was on the Algarve, 21!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Blackrocksrock said:

In front of my house this morning = hoorah we are free again

IMG_0139.jpg

😳 that is a lot of snow!!!

2 hours ago, Daphne said:

And CT, your photo reminds me of a modern day Breugel.  I don't suppose many of us in the UK have ever seen a scene like that, with people skating on a road.

Luckily it’s a pond, not a road! 😅

Although there was a kid ice skating on a road in front of her house. All the snow is so compacted and iced over, that it is actually possible to ice skate on the roads here and there.

Seems to be warming up quickly everywhere. 16C due this afternoon and we've started mowing the grass, which is difficult as some areas are still very boggy. Checked our records and we started mowing last year on 31st January, so at the moment the season is 2 weeks late. According to the forecast temperatures will continue to creep up and the heating can perhaps go off tomorrow and we're back to wood fires in the evening?

Been a strange start to the year so far. After my last post it did warm up, but turned cold again and the heating had to go back on, something that's new to us. The season remains 2 weeks late but, after 6 weeks with hardly any rain, it is at last raining, which should see the cracks in the soil closing. They are so wide in the chicken enclosure that they could easily get their toes caught in them. Last few days got up to 26C and very sunny, so really too hot to work outside in the afternoon. Rest of the week should be cooler with showers, so back to fires in the evening again.

We haven't had any rain for ages, in fact I can't remember when it last rained - not including a bit of snow.

Unfortunately, the pipe connecting our water butts came apart, so the 4 full butts we had don't have much in them.

We desperately need some rain, although I do love sunny days even if they are a bit chilly in the wind.

I never seem to have the same Spring as the UK and after a series of poor, cool and wet Springs, this year is a cracker.  After a very warm, sunny and dry March, we have had the 'typical' April, all showers and changeable, but mild.  Hence everything in the garden is absolutely lovely and bursting with life.  The hillsides are also remarkable, after the terrible forest fires of a few years ago.  We always get purple heather and a bit of yellow broom in March/April, but this year the broom has gone mad, interspersed with gorse, with all the extra light and lack of competition I expect.  It is quite life affirming.  Aren't we lucky weather changes!

• Like 1

Has been raining all morning. Such dark and gloomy weather. Good for the plants, but quite a transition from the calm and sunny weather of past weeks.

Red the cat is very bummed about it. Has been complaining to me that it rains. I really think he’s convinced it’s my fault.

It's that time of year again. Orange alert for thunderstorms this evening bringing high winds and hail. So most of the work today will be putting things away and covering the vegetable plot beds. The water butts have some capacity left.

We bought a new pump from Lidl because the old submersible is just too slow. Their Parkside range of low budget tools is quite good value if you want something that you won't use that often and isn't a disaster if it breaks. This particular pump had a picture showing a 15mm outlet connection, but it turned out that the outlet connection wasn't an included part of the pump, so I feel somewhat mis-led. Managed to find something to fit though. Works well, but the suction pipe floats, so some weight had to be added. We  can now pump from the water butts via a 15mm pipe to a spray gun if necessary and it moves rainwater to the veggie plot barrels about 10x faster than the previous pump, even over a distance of 80 metres.

We managed to buy the fittings for the pump and increased the outlet to 19mm to further increase the flow rate, with another fitting of 15mm if we pump from a different location.

More thunderstorms. Seems to get worse every year. Spent all day yesterday clearing up and was told today of a couple not far from us who have only had the house 9 months and have twice had the garden wrecked by hailstones. This time they were so big and jagged shaped they have destroyed their new car as well. Front and rear screens smashed and huge dents in all the body panels. Their other car was under a shelter and the hail stones went right through it. Garden levelled and 150 roof tiles smashed.

So now it's raining heavily and we've just finished watering the veg!

• Confused 1

Glorious weather for that last few days, 17C, no wind and sunny. So mild that record temperatures have been set all over the Country. We've been pruning fruit trees because there are no frosts. But all that changes tonight, with rain and a light frost tomorrow morning then 6C in the day and -3C or less at night. So fleece on the Aloe Vera's and the bantams go into a heated cage in the garage. As the weather lady said "well, it is Winter"!

Yes, I know it was a record high in UK for NYEve, its just a shame the mild weather came with non-stop low leaden skies!  On NYDay the hottest place in Portugal was 26 degrees, so I think we've all had the good weather.  Yesterday was also warm and sunny, but we have the wind and rain already, so back to normal now!