Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Wow it was rough today! Thankfully my work made everyone work from home so I spent the day looking out every 10 minutes to make sure the chickens were OK. They were, but I went out and sat in their run for a bit and it was SOOO noisy. The wind kept lifting their tarpaulin cover up and then slamming it back down again. Everything was moving but thankfully everything stayed in one piece and the tree didn’t fall on it.

Elsewhere in the county (including my mums house) there are trees down and power cuts all over the place.

School ended early today, which was a good thing as I could at least get home on my motorcycle before it got too bad.

Loads of tipped lorries, fallen trees and blown off roofs all around.

I weighed down the bottom bars of my run with a large paving slab. But so far the tarp is still holding up and the coop and Omlet run are mostly behind the shed, so not too much wind there. Chickens didn’t seem too bothered and still digging around for stuff in their woodchip.

• Like 1

I'm glad you are all safe.

My chickens weren't that bothered by the wind today either, usually they hide.

It was definitely the worst wind I've seen and heard and I'm surprised the trees either side of us haven't fallen down.

It was terrifying taking Bonnie out for the toilet and a couple of times I did just grab her because it just felt like the wind would take us both.

So glad it is a little bit calmer now.

• Like 1

My chickens do not seem that phased by this extreme weather we are having in Essex. 

It baffles me but they all still decide to sleep outside (in a secure run) on a perch rather than in the comfort of the very wind proof coop. 

I'll be building a new run as I move homes soon. Definitely going to be putting more wind shield areas in it. 

Indeed, they are reporting that much of the country is facing drought, and there have already been forest fires.  However, it is still possible that March and April will rain incessantly, it often happens, particularly in March.  This year has been virtually all sun.  Its been baking hot for winter some days, 20 plus.

However, I will be in Normandy visiting my MIL from next week - therefore I am expecting rain!

Apart from the late frosts, this Spring has been lovely so far although perhaps a bit windy. One thing we have noticed is the change in wind direction during the year. Four years ago and it was 90% West, but it has now changed to 50:50 East:West, perhaps even 60:40? According to our local agricultural weather site we are 55% short on last months rainfall, but that's about to change. It's one of those rare occasions when the temperatures are higher in the North and it's dry, whereas down here it's much cooler and is forecast rain for the next 6 days. All work outside has stopped, but unfortunately the grass and weeds are still growing!

Watched a UK TV programme last night where an English couple were looking for a holiday home in the Limousin, which is slightly Southwest of central France. Less than £80,000 for a nice large detached house with barn and large garden. Now that's a third of the prices here and I can see a lot of Brits giving a similar purchase consideration. It even had central heating (presumably installed because of the very cold Winters there).

The thunderstorms forecast for yesterday didn't arrive. We had just enough rain to wipe off my garden chair. It's now 9C above the seasonal average and will remain so for the next week with no rain forecast either. Summer here is our least favourite season because it's so hot; seems it's going to be extended into late Spring this year.

We had rain at the weekend, enough to properly wet the ground, now we are at 27 in the day, 14 at night, so there is a heavy dew.  In common with all of western Europe we are about to enter a heatwave, its forecast to be 36 on Saturday!

My least favourite season is now Spring as its very wet.  I love the fact it is wet because I know its essential for life, but day to day its very cold and we are often confined indoors.  We live in a stone house which is designed to keep cool, its often warmer outside!  In addition, we are often lost in the mists as we are at 500m elevation and that brings a clammy wetness, as well as a lack of light, as well. I don't feel the joy that Spring brings after a hard winter because our autumn and sometimes Jan is usually bright and sunny, and things still grow, and you can be outside all the time.

It's been 30C here for nearly a week now @Daphne and set to be 35C on Sunday. No rain so we're using tap water left for 4 days to let the Chlorine out; already clocked up 1400 litres and it's only May! Earthing up the potatoes was impossible, but yesterday evening I soaked one potato bed and have been able to earth it up this morning. Now adding leaf mulch to the South face for heat protection. Had to re-home a very large toad in the process.

We're at just over 200m and are working to keep the house cool. We open the windows and doors first thing in the morning and close them about 8.30. No cooking in the house now. We have an area outside with electricity, BBQ and a gas hob. Normally only used mid-Summer, but not this year.

Had THE most amazing storm last night. Thunder started just gone 11pm followed by heavy (and I mean heavy) rain then the lightening kicked in. 20 minutes of natures sound and light show! Worth getting out of bed for but OH and the boys slept through the whole thing. Due more heavy rain tomorrow morning so no doubt the lawn will respond accordingly - so much for No Mow May, I can hardly see the bird bath as it is!

• Haha 1

They keep talking about 'no mow May' here, to give the bees and butterflies time to feed and reproduce. The only fields around here that are not mown now are ours and we are full of bees and butterflies. Problem is this is the best time to cut hay for the Winter, so the farmers haven't the time for the townies ideals and they couldn't care less about the wildlife if there is no profit in it (they shoot as much of it as they can). Welcome to France!

• Confused 1