Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Looks good Catsy.  Here, the ungrateful duck lads have a shelter with fence panels and a really nice roof with lots of straw - do they go in there to shelter?  Nope, they sit on top of straw bales in all elements looking miserable.  Those who really don't like getting wet sometimes go in their house, but the chickens would appreciate it.  It's been a glorious day here and only just clouded over - cardigan at the most type weather and, if you were in a sheltered sunny spot, then you wouldn't have needed that .  Started with what looked like a heavy frost, but it wasn't that bad.  We've been out marking the ground for new electric fencing to go round the new duck house which was put up just before bird flu lockdown - it stands empty, but it seems to be water tight and it's had everything thrown at it to test before the birds move in.  I gather we won't be getting snow, but Wiltshire might see a bit around the edge of the county.  We'll see.  

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

That should keep out any cold wind and snow @Cat tails

Just once we scored -10 on my weather gadget.

Then when the Beast from the East came a couple of years ago it was still -6 by the time I had got to school.

One of the children complained his head was hurting soon after arriving. I asked him if he had worn a hat.........no, he said. Well, I guess that was why his head hurt so much 🙄

I still have to go to school next week... with windows open! 
We’ll see I even can get there!

Added a old plastic table cloth on the wind side. Now they can’t complain anymore! 

DE9E0B24-2853-40A4-AF9E-1EBEB191F2A8.jpeg

05E79A94-7697-41F2-BCAB-AB23DA989687.jpeg

• Like 2

It looks very pretty though Cattails.

Feels cold down here with showers due this afternoon (again), but certainly not as cold as it is in the North. Once again we're on flood alert. Grass is growing but it's far too wet to cut. Trouble is when it dries enough it's then too long to cut with the mowers we have. We intend to invest in a new mower that can cope with this problem next month, when the car is repaired (or scrapped).

Looks Cold Cattails!

Everybody here uses a strimmer Beantree.  Petrol, bullhorn handlebars, decent harness, proper boots, helmet/visor.  I know they are heavy, which is why you need the harness, but with long grass and uneven terrain its what everyone does.  There are also a couple of firms which will come and do it for you.  You never see mowers, of any variety, although you never see lawns either!

Merel was absolutely fed up by all the snow and just sat on top of the bench because I put her there from the coop. Now they do scratch around a bit more. I tried to close all cracks with more snow, so now it stays pretty snow free. But I keep removing snow from the tarp. 
I think it finally stopped snowing now.

1 minute ago, Luvachicken said:

That does look very snugly for them @Cat tails I hope your neighbours chickens are alright.

It's amazing how much snow can blow in sometimes.

Let's hope you don't get too much more snow.

We've had little specks of snow today and it is pretty chilly and windy.

Who knows what we will wake up to tomorrow.

The neighbour took the whole coop from the run and put it in his shed/garage. 

Red is far from impressed too! 

90F0D194-A3EE-4EBA-A4B9-A692EA857FF1.jpeg

0B1C6B81-7F78-4326-8E90-ABE8BEE6E59D.jpeg

6E793EB2-F5BD-4B33-A5FE-E1DC23061DD1.jpeg

• Like 2

Lovely pics Catsy.  I do rather like your cat!  What a handsome fellow - assuming it's a boy.

It's darned windy and very cold here at the moment, but dry and the squelching is much reduced apart from where the vehicles churned up the orchard to the barn, but even that is better in parts.  We were out this afternoon setting up electric fencing for the ducks new area. Yesterday was cardigan weather, today it is several layers!

42 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

Just reading how bad your snow is, Cat Tails.  When we had this a few  years ago, mine refused to leave the coop!   Stay safe. All we have is bitingly cold wind in South Oxfordshire 

We use the RAF Benson site to look at weather and it predicted snow today but none happened! Hoping for some tomorrow but not Tuesday as I have to go into the boy's school (next village) to do lateral flow testing. Having trogged though the online training I'd be gutted not to be able to put it all into practice. Today was just bloomin' cold with a biting wind. 

51 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Lovely pics Catsy.  I do rather like your cat!  What a handsome fellow - assuming it's a boy.

It's darned windy and very cold here at the moment, but dry and the squelching is much reduced apart from where the vehicles churned up the orchard to the barn, but even that is better in parts.  We were out this afternoon setting up electric fencing for the ducks new area. Yesterday was cardigan weather, today it is several layers!

He is a very good looking and large tom! He used to be my neighbours’ cat, but he has now adopted me and I had him vaccinated and chipped 🤫.

Loads of wind here too and bitingly cold. Thermometer now reads -4, but predicted -13 Thursday night!

0265DB5C-8B1D-4F82-878F-7E715FD03FFC.jpeg

• Like 2

Watched the UK forecast this morning and it looks like it will be very cold with a lot of snow. ITV put the 'feels like' around -7C. Just a reminder that some runs will need the snow taking off regularly, otherwise they might collapse. Same applies to other sectional buildings.

Can't do much strimming Daphne as the vibration affects my hands and we have large areas to do. Started with a scythe, which is great exercise and quiet, but we don't need the hay now and it does take a lot of time. We will set some areas aside though for wildlife and they will still be scythed. The slope is too steep to turn the big mower in some places, but anyway it's centre-eject (for the grass box when fitted) so jambs up with long wet grass. The wheels on the little mowers get stuck in the 'creature' holes and they don't cope well with long grass either. We're looking at an Roques et Lecoeur 2008 H Confort, which is basically a side-eject self-drive 3 wheel mower. Large rear wheels go over the holes and the side-eject can cope with any length of grass. The intention is just to cut twice a year and spend the considerable time saved on other projects.

I love the clarity of your photographs, CT, they are so sharp, you feel like you can really 'see' the image and all the detail, particularly the birds.  Red does look like a lovely boy, I have come to the conclusion that our cat (Portugeuse) is a real wuss, he's not keen on rain and hates going out in it, and has only seen snow once.  I keep telling him he wouldn't last 5 minutes in Northern Europe.  

Many years ago I lived in Oxfordshire and RAF Benson was always the coldest place on the weather maps, for miles around.  I don't envy you Soapdragon!

I know vibration is a real issue Beantree, the strimmer before this one gave my OH 'white finger' - ie he couldn't feel it for a month after a few hours strimming.  However, it was because he had to keep his finger on the 'on' button, the current strimmer is a much better design.  I had a sit on mower in UK, and it caused me no end of grief, it was always going wrong - either I'd ride over a thorn and get a puncture, or more likely the long grasses would clog it up.  It was one of the sweetest moments I had leaving the UK, selling it!  It was a Hayter, so not a bad brand.  Anyway, I hope you get something sorted and I can understand doing a cut twice a year, particularly if the land is 'spare' so you have lovely grass paths through a meadow which is good for the pollinators.

• Like 1

Daphne...we are about 3 miles from RAF Benson and yes, it's bloomin' cold! Woke in the night and checked the all singing, all dancing bedside clock and it said 15 degress - yikes! Flurries of snow here but nothing settling; it's YS 13th birthday today and he's quite pleased to have a bit of the white stuff!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

-13 @Cat tails 🥶 that is going to be chilly.

Are you going to bring your girls in on that night ? Or do you think they will be ok outside ?

Many years ago, my Grandma used to have a ginger cat. He was called Rufus - a lovely little thing.

Yours looks very similar 😊 And very handsome too.

I actually put one of my outside thermometer sensor thingies in their coop right now. So I can have a look what the temp in there will do. I have some spare straw I could put in there if it does get too cold. 

I really do like ginger tomcats. 😊

1 hour ago, soapdragon said:

Daphne...we are about 3 miles from RAF Benson and yes, it's bloomin' cold! Woke in the night and checked the all singing, all dancing bedside clock and it said 15 degress - yikes! Flurries of snow here but nothing settling; it's YS 13th birthday today and he's quite pleased to have a bit of the white stuff!

Happy Bday to your son!

Is that -15 outside???? Or 15 inside? It gets about 8 in my bedroom, but I have the window open all time for said tomcat. Who now outright refuses to go out at all. He even used the litter box! He’s never ever done that before!

5 hours ago, Daphne said:

I love the clarity of your photographs, CT, they are so sharp, you feel like you can really 'see' the image and all the detail, particularly the birds.  Red does look like a lovely boy, I have come to the conclusion that our cat (Portugeuse) is a real wuss, he's not keen on rain and hates going out in it, and has only seen snow once.  I keep telling him he wouldn't last 5 minutes in Northern Europe.  

My other cat iPoes is like that! She would just give up and die... she is so passive in that sense. I could forget to feed her and she would just be like: oh sorry... then I’ll just stay here being hungry... silly cats!

• Like 1