Christian

The Weather Thread #9

11 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Bit like the boy lamb then!  😂, well, he's missing one.

His missing horn is already growing back - amazing how fast it happens!

Fortunately no snow with us this morning - but the car doors were frozen shut when I tried to leave at 6.30 this morning - took a while to break in and de-ice the windows!

Once again no frost and the sun is shining; feels like Spring. We're due rain this afternoon though with a temperature of 14C. The ground is very soft so knocking in fence posts is easy.

Difficult to imagine that in 6 months it could be 37C, the chicken runs will need hosing, the house will get too hot, the freezers and fridge will need fan assistance and the ground will be like concrete!

37!  I'd wilt long before that!

Funnily enough there is a strange bright thing in the sky today, warm when the wind drops but some idiot chose to clean out the run on the banties side.  5 bags full and I'm worn out.  I think I may have to go back out again!

No doubt there will be a week of rubbish weather to pay for the one decent day.  Everything squelches!

Supposed to have been dull but dry yesterday - it was drizzly and then heavier rain.  Today was supposed to be fairly sunny and dry.  It is sunny and rainy and supposedly gusts up to 40mph this afternoon.  But I think it's just thin horizontal drizzle and not much of a large patch of cloud.  Until the next lot blows into range.  It would be warmer if the wind would drop for a while.

Light rain down here and a bit windy, but it's mild enough at 15C. Tomorrow is set to be a real change with full sunshine and an air temperature of 22C; shorts and T shirt with a straw hat required. Central heating going off for a few days then, if it stays off, it will be evening wood fires as required. This is the same as last year when we had an unexpected warm spell lasting two weeks which saved us 200 litres of heating oil.

Well our lovely warm spell only lasted 2 days and set a few records down here, beating previous highest temperatures by over 2 degrees. Back to wind and rain today and about 10C cooler. Somewhere on a glacier in the East of France last night recorded a wind speed of 217 Km/hr with heavy snow. Apparently there is some really nasty weather due everywhere next week?

Well on paper it looks like high pressure here for the week - yay!  In reality the jet stream is over us and it's bringing gales!  Whoopadeedoodah!  Then it's getting nasty for the weekend.  Apparently.  What that means is 2 days reasonable (here 40/50mph wind gusts) and the weather will deteriorate by Wednesday.  It seems to race the forecast.  💩💩💩💩

In case anyone hasn't been following the weather forecast, there is a big storm arriving in the UK and North France tomorrow. They predict structural damage, travel disruption and power outages, so today is a good time to make sure the run tarps are secure. Here, to secure poly tunnels, they throw cables or ropes over the top and anchor them to ground stakes or concrete blocks; might be worthwhile doing?

Well you know me - avid radar and satellite magnet!  We had a bit of a spat last night with gusty wind and lashing rain - but all nice now.  Sun is hazy so that is a bonus.  Have been prepping the chicken run, but that's looking much better and the ground is drying out under the new tarp!  Am going to put a cover over the ducks, but they aren't really interested, choosing to sit out in the worst of the weather!  But it appears that Sunday is the day for the worst of the winds and we are due up to 65mph gusts - the winds will continue for the week with only up to 50mph gusts - I'm so relieved!:roll:  But only wet up to Tuesday.  Hmmm, we'll see about that!

Off down the veggie patch for some sprouts, leeks and kale and possibly celeriac if the voles have left me with any.  Hope that kestrel has found a few!

It has been gorgeous here all day, but was gradually clouding over and getting windier as I walked the dogs just after 3pm. I can't hear anything out there at the moment, so all bodes well. I have an advanced course tomorrow and one of the participants emailed, concerned about the weather affecting the course - I have only cancelled twice in 15 years due to bad weather............ we are indoors and the worst of the weather isn't due to hit here until much later in the day.

Was a beautiful day here too.

I managed to get loads of washing dry and do some gardening.

We are forecast 60mph winds for my area, and as my neighbours have big trees in their gardens, my girls have gone into a broody cage and are safe indoors

I don't like to think of a tree crashing onto their run. I'm sure it won't happen but just wanted to be safe.

Ditto dancing cloud.  I'd like to know who was playing the harmonica (badly) outside the bedroom window in the middle of the night!!!  So far not much rain, Slight lean to the duck makeshift shelter, but it's still protecting the nicer tarps shelter.  Chooks not impressed but happy when I scattered some Garvo around the run.  Should keep them amused for a while - they have kale too.  Starlings are the only birds I've seen trying to fly - scattered murmuration!  Two chairs were caught in cross winds and now reside in no mans land where wind blows to and fro and they just rock a little.  Seem to be doing the Time Warp again.  Decided on wearing my thermals to battle the wind and now too hot indoors!:roll:  From here I can see an old oak tree branch which seems to be rocking dangerously, seeing as this is supposed to last a few days I wonder how long it will stay on the tree!!!

It has been horrific here today, far worse down in Oxhill, at the base of Sunrising Hill than in Banbury, at one stage is sounded as if someone was firing buckets of mails at the windows! A brief sunny spell when I got back mi-afternoon, and the chooks had an hour's skipping around outside time while I walked the dogs. It's now back to blowing badly, but not as severe as last night and this morning.