Justadmin

Letting hens indoors

Well, it finally happened. After being a strict chicken father for 6 months and saying "not indoors!" every time the girls appeared at the back door whilst free ranging, I finally broke and let them in today. More than that I found myself encouraging them to come further into the house, as far as the kitchen where I rewarded them with a cabbage leaf.

Is there any inherent danger/problem with them coming indoors for brief spells? They're quite curious girls and I think especially with winter coming they might find a little wander inside quite interesting on a horrid day. We have wood floors or tile all over downstairs so I'm not worried about poo.

Do any of you have any chickens indoors stories?

If you have confident chickens then nothing bad will happen beyond a bit of cleaning up! Mine will come in to demand food or try to tell me it's getting dark and I haven't been out to lock them away :roll: So now I have a baby gate to stop them getting past the porch area!

I did bring my araucana into the living room for some reason a bit back and she was very interested in flapping up onto chairs and was just developing a flight plan to the bookcase when I decided to put her back on my knee.

Ours come into the kitchen alot. Especially in this hot weather, because I have the french doors open and they like the cool tiles. I don't really mind, the floor is tiled so if they do poo it's not the end of the world. Did draw the line the other day when I came downstairs and opened the kitchen room door to find Ailsa sitting on the dining table. And looking at me like I was weird... the cheek! :D

Ours come in if we leave the back door open and they always make a bee line for the cat food!

We don't encourage them and we usually usher them back outside after a few minutes and they are always quite happy with this arrangement.

It is quite funny to watch though but we do keep the door to the utility room closed because I don't fancy having to retrieve a chicken from behind the washing machine :roll:

Thanks for all the replies - I must admit I do find it quite amusing watching them explore indoors, it was a bit like hens on ice this afternoon though on the kitchen tiles, skidding about all over the shop but they didn't seem bothered by it.

They've started following me everywhere when I am out in the garden with them, I walk off to go and grab something from indoors and I hear the pitter patter of tiny feet on the floor behind me. It's so adorable but I know they're only after food really. As soon as I say "I don't have anything" and hold my hands wide open they trill a little song of complaint and march off elsewhere.

One day they'll love me for me! Haha.

We've had chickens in the house on and off for years. Problem is the poo, so they are definitely not allowed near carpeted floors. I suspect any poo may stain wood floors unless it is removed immediately?

We had one that liked to watch TV. Not sure what the picture looks like to a chicken though as they may see the screen flicker?

Used to get chickens wandering in a few years back if I left door open. Found 4 one time surveying the contents of fridge as I'd left the door open! Another five mins and the cheese and ham would have been removed.

Never leave kitchen door open now as Lhasa decided killing chickens was fun and encouraged the little Bichon to join her. Dogs go out a diff door now, and cats keep a wide berth as chook army too big..... :lol:

Chickens make too much mess to let them any where near the house. I would not let them in anyway as it is just too dirty. They walk in muck and then would tread it indoors. I think it is a real health hazzard and not at all hygienic. Our sister in law was here last week and was taking photos of the hens. She walked into the run with bare feet and I was horrified. I was even more horrifed when she didn't wash ehr feet before going indoors!!! I even have separate shoes for the run. It is not a cat or dog. They aren't clean and their place is in the garden.