dancing cloud

Big Garden Birdwatch

Yes, next weekend is that time of year again - when I sit in a freezing cold kitchen watching a completely empty garden for an hour, which was teeming with birds and squirrels and occasional foxes right up to that hour and will be again as soon as that hour is over :roll::lol:

Anyone else joining in the fun?

If nothing else its a good 'excuse' to sit down with a flask of tea for an hour!!!!

Thank goodness it's not only us that has a case of the disappearing birds! We normally get goldfinches, greenfinches, chaffinches, blue tits, coal tits, I could go on and on. But on that one hour, we're lucky if we hear a cheap! We'll have to think of a way to out-smart these bird brains. . . :?::?::?:

My usual suspects did their famous disappearing act too :roll:

One big flock of sparrows, two wood pigeons, 1 robin, 1 blue tit, one great tit in the whole hour. No sign of the collared doves, magpies, rooks, crows, dunnocks, blackbirds, thrushes, coal tits, long-tailed tits, wrens, chaffinches, greenfinches ...

Three squirrels enjoyed the peanuts all to themselves!

We used to but they all disappeared when it was time to record - can't remember if you set your own time or whether it was a given time, but funny how they all reappeared when recording session was finished. My husband got so cheesed off as he got his tea and his paper and pens and nothing happened! Had a sparrowhawk today - but it left empty taloned when it saw me and made off in the opposite direction - probably the same one that almost flew into me while I was feeding the blackbirds the other week and if I hadn't been equally startled I could have reached out and touched it - it was that close!