SeramaSilly

Anyone have experience of the fast-track NHS referral system?

I've been fast-tracked for a hospital appointment (appointment has to be within two weeks) after having a CT scan which showed an abnormality to one of my kidneys.  I had my appointment on Wednesday and the doctor referred me for a renogram (x-ray with radio-active isotope).  I received the appointment on Friday but it's not until 20th April - is this right??  He said he would ask for an urgent appointment (within the next three weeks although really it's a month).  It seems a long time to wait for an x-ray to me when I'd been fast-tracked for the original appt.

Anyone here working within this field or who has experience of this?

My experience is that a wait of 3 weeks or so is not uncommon.  Appointments seem to be scheduled over that cycle.  And the time targets are just that. Targets and not always based on the reality of the treatment need.  I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer 4 years ago.  It was early in the February, but although I had a couple of CT scans, I didn't see a consultant oncologist till the end of March.  My treatment though started a week later.  And, 9 rounds of chemo, and 3 operations later over a period of 15 months, I'm still here. And so far clear.  

There  were gaps between appointments, and two operations cancelled on the day, (agony!) and then more 3 or more weeks wait for rescheduling.  These were anxious times, but I'm pretty sure that they would and could have fast tracked me if it had been really necessary.  However, I had a medic niece with me, and she told me to get the phone number of the consultant's PA and to keep in touch with her to make sure I wasn't just a number.  That may have helped.  Good luck with your appointment. 

Hello. Yes I have over the last few weeks for a whole variety of tests and it all happened very quickly. Between one to three weeks and I was very impressed with how quickly everything happened. It dragged on a little because one test led to another test etc but it's pretty much all over now. Best wishes with your experience. 

I've always found that getting the number of the consultants sec or appointments clerk for the relevant clinic/department and then 'phoning every couple of days is a good bet! I've always apologised for bothering them again but asked if anything has changed over the last few days. On occasions it has or I've been told 'glad you rang again, I lost your number but can now offer you.....'

Wishing you well (quite literally) and you too, PL! 

Aw thanks PatsyLabrador for your thoughts and wishes and I hope everything goes well with you now. x   Thank you too soapdragon and yes I think I will ring again on Tuesday as I haven't heard anything - I WAS that medical secretary years ago so I'll have to be a bit more 'proactive'!  O.o x

Just thought I'd update you on what happened after your supportive messages.  I had my kidney removed on 18th May by keyhole surgery.  It is now a month and a day after my op and for the last two weeks I've felt great! :-)  I got my results Thursday ..... it was cancer but it was contained within the kidney so I don't have to have chemo or radiotherapy but I will be followed up by a uro-oncologist and have regular CT scans to monitor me.  I think the NHS is wonderful!! :-) 

• Like 2

After an intermittent sore throat with neck discomfort from February to May and then a constant sore throat sine the beginning of June I made a GP appointment last Saturday. She decided to try me on antacids (not working!) but refer to ENT in the interim for further investigation. A letter arrived this morning with details of how to contact the patient booking line and I duly called to make my appointment. Looking at two of the main hospitals in Oxford (Radcliffe and Churchill) the earliest date available was 30th November! I am in shock! 5 months wait! Whilst I will keep trying for a cancellation the operator said that this was unlikely as it was a busy department. That begs the question as to why there are not more clinic then surely?