Hello,

I'm contemplating getting the auto door for my Cube but i'm a little concerned by a couple of things:

1. The opening looks quite narrow - the cockerel I have is a big lad (Blue Laced Red Wyandotte) and two of my ladies are quite wide to put it politely (Marans) and I do wonder if they will fit in ok?

2. Reliability: If it failed and I was away for a couple of days they could be trapped inside.

Does anyone have any experience with this yet before I take the plunge and find it wont suit my flock?

Thanks!

Rachel

Can't say on omlet's but we have the hentronix and it's fab. Had almost a year and never failed.  I have a camera set up too so when away we can just check the camera for peace of mind. But it's never failed. We charged the battery before we went away although didn't need to.

I love our auto door even though I do actually go in morning and night- to take up and down  the water - but it's nice if I oversleep or get stuck in traffic. 

The door on the hentronix is the same as it's attached to a motor; sometimes mine get a bit impatient waiting for it to open slowly but it's not that slow! 

Omlets looks great though too.

Edited by Natspringy

Someone asked this question on a Facebook forum the other day and of the 3 people that replied, all had returned theirs to omlet. Could be teething issues as a new product but one person said their chicken got its head stuck in the door 😬 consensus seemed to be that hentronix were good ones. 

16 minutes ago, Annaspanner said:

Someone asked this question on a Facebook forum the other day and of the 3 people that replied, all had returned theirs to omlet. Could be teething issues as a new product but one person said their chicken got its head stuck in the door 😬 consensus seemed to be that hentronix were good ones. 

Head stuck in the door 😱😱😱😱

Hentronix also do a very handy youtube video on how to attach the hentronix to the eglu. It's very easy. Just don't accidentally cover the sensor like I did last night!  Found them all crammed into the outdoor nest box, bless them!  But that was human error. Still love my hentronix.

I've got the Omlet one on order but there's been a stock issue or something which means I've been waiting a while. I had been going to get the Hentronix one when Omlet brought theirs out. Having read this thread I am wondering whether to go back to Plan A and get the Hentronix one instead... :S

The reason I went for the Omlet one in the end was that it retro fits to the front of the Mk1 cube so the door opening handle on the cube itself isn't being used and so isn't sticking out sideways all night. I had visions of either me walking into the handle or wildlife fiddling with it. That would be preferable to something that doesn't work though. If anyone else has any experience with it do post!!

I have one of the Omlet auto doors and it has been one of the best things I've bought.

We tested it on a satsuma and it worked perfectly, opening straight back up as soon as it touches it.

Mine is set to open at 5.10am and closes at 11.30pm at the moment.

I will change it in the winter.

If you go away it does say to leave it open just in case it does happen to fail.

Mine hasn't had any problems so far and I've had it since February.

There was a discussion about this on the Omlet FB Forum.  Everyone who had one seemed happy with the Omlet one and several commented that it didn’t squish chickens, just stopped if they happened to be in the way.   Not an issue for me as they perch outside in the run.  The cube is just an expensive nest box! 

I’m thinking of getting the omelet automatic one to put on the run for when Im out late or away. So the choirs can free range but mainly to prevent the geese from entering the WIR & stealing all the pellet food - who said geese don’t eat pellets? They’re right greedy!

I will let you know how it goes

We've had one on a MK1 Cube for a couple of weeks and it seems good but can be a bit confusing. At the moment we have it set to "Time" closing. It was set to close at 20:30, and confirmed the unit is set to the correct time but it did not close. Has anyone got an answer as to why that might be?

On 9/22/2019 at 8:42 PM, george01 said:

We've had one on a MK1 Cube for a couple of weeks and it seems good but can be a bit confusing. At the moment we have it set to "Time" closing. It was set to close at 20:30, and confirmed the unit is set to the correct time but it did not close. Has anyone got an answer as to why that might be?

If its not the battery you are probably best to give Omlet a call, their customer service team are very helpful