ajm200

New arrivals

7 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

They look lovely.... don't look like the hybrids you mentioned.... 😉

3 is always  a good number to get at the start; then you don't get one fretting on its own when the other goes in to lay. I love my pekins, they are broody monsters though!

They are Pekin Bantams.  Part of the reason I’m not asking for anything else for while.  Worth every penny though 

He made a comment on the way home along the lines of “I could have bought an awful lot eggs for the price of your pets”. I didn’t mention that we’ll still be buying eggs in the summer as we’ve simply added 3 more high maintenance, hormonal girls to the family 😂

We were planning to get them at the weekend but the lady we bought them from suggested last night.  My 10 yr old was hopping up and down with excitement.  Never seen her so hyper so it would have been a nightmare to get her to wait.  

CD79B8E5-F15C-46B6-9FDC-728E6D82544B.jpeg

8A2E9E71-ABB5-4BCE-BC06-819982DA54DF.jpeg

039B81B5-69BE-4CB4-A697-DB9B8760B030.jpeg

4C97CACF-C1E4-4019-8126-3808159BC05D.jpeg

95AC763B-8368-48E6-97EE-BAB357ED8AC3.jpeg

Can’t get a decent photo of the brown one.  She’s always bottom up in every shot 

Gorgeous girls! Congratulations!  We have just got two new  chooks to join a lonely girl..little bit grumpy (one of the newbies and the older girl|)..but hoping they will settle tonight... WE would have loved pure breds, but couldn't find any..but we are researching for future girls!!

• Like 1

Congratulations. Pics?

Purebreeds are hard to find at this time of year.  Usually breeders start stocking up in Feb/March.  Even stocks of hybrids can be low.  We had to wait until the end of Feb to get our last lot of hybrids 6 years ago.

We got ours from a local breeder who hatches all the eggs she gets.  We were surprised to get them in Winter  

Edited by ajm200

Welcome, Suzallie!   Whereabouts in the country do you live?  We might be able to point you in the direction of places we’ve found pure breeds.  I have Poland’s, an Aracauna and Millefleur Barbu D’uccle.   I have had rescue hens too who are hybrids. 

But beware, there is one feature of pure breeds that no-one prepared me for.  And that is, they live a very long time after they have finished laying.  My Poland’s have lived to nearly 11 but finished laying about 8, the Aracauna finished at about 6.  I have one Barbu D’ucclr aged about 2 who lays!  So eggs are sp*****.   I don’t begrudge my pensioners living long lives, but it’s not something you think about when you get them.  

Oops! I got censored! 

Thank you Patricia W!!  I am in Herts.. and it seemed that very few hybrids or pure breeds were around at this time of year - but we felt we couldn't leave Sylvie on her own much longer.  And I knew they probably didn't do so many eggs.. though the long living nature is fine...I think Sylvie (our oldest one. laid a large egg today - the first for 11 months!   At the moment we only have space for three..so this is something for the future. Our three seemed to have settled together (phew!) - they are all in the house snuggled down for the snowy night!