The Dogmother

Another ebay rant

What are folks like? It never ceases to amaze me....

I bought a pair of size 3 converse sneakers on ebay the other week. Size 3 (like my others) to fit me; when they arrived, I thought they looked big, and inspection of the label and sole proved that they are a size 3.5, so won't fit. I messaged the seller asking if i could return them for a full refund.

She eventually replied and only offered a part refund on the basis that they 'fit me and I'm a size 3' :roll:  I pointed out that the fact that they fit her doesn't make them a size 3 any more than it makes them a blue elephant. The fact remains that they were incorrectly listed and are the wrong size.

No reply, so I messaged again this evening. I was hoping to resolve this civilly between us, but it seems that I will have to instigate a dispute.

Give me strength angry5.gif

Personal seller? I had the same issue with a personal seller about six months ago. I bid on a pair of hunter sandals and won, when they arrived I couldn't get my feet into them. Measured them against my own similar sized sandals and they were 1cm shorter, also, no sizing on the sandals themselves. Seller refused to take responsibility so I opened an INAD case to force a return and got my money back.

Open a case and get your money back, they are not as described.

7 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

What's an INAD case Claire, and where do i find it? I have requested a return, but then rejected her part refund offer.  Can i still open a case if i have done that?

I don't  often have issues,  but have a couple of items recently.

It's an Item Not As Described case. If the seller doesn't respond accordingly, then eBay step in to resolve the issue. They will nearly always find in the buyer's favour, so you have that on your side. The seller has the option to accept the return and provide a refund. If they refuse to do that, then eBay will nearly always refund you directly - and the seller will receive a default on their account.

Ahhh, that's interesting re the postage being paid - I didn't know that and she is insisting on me paying the return postage, which I think is a bit stiff as the mistake isn't mine. I wonder if I can request an INAD if I have already requested a return.

FYI, she has just now agreed to pay me the full amount when I return the goods. I have said that I will return it with proof of postage and have asked that she confirm receipt.

Ahhh, that's interesting re the postage being paid - I didn't know that and she is insisting on me paying the return postage, which I think is a bit stiff as the mistake isn't mine. I wonder if I can request an INAD if I have already requested a return.

FYI, she has just now agreed to pay me the full amount when I return the goods. I have said that I will return it with proof of postage and have asked that she confirm receipt.

ETA: it sees that I can't print off a postage paid returns label now, but I have messaged her back to request that she offers the full refund through the returns procedure (rather than by message) so hopefully that might trigger a label.

1 hour ago, Lewis said:

I won an item a few weeks ago, bargain price I thought... Messaged the seller to collect it, heard nothing, a week later I messaged again and they said they wanted more money and cancelled the item! 😒

That's appalling! Can you lodge a complaint with E Bay about that? 

49 minutes ago, johnandkymberley said:

I sold a pair of shoes and received a message saying that the anklet (I had taken a picture of the shoes on my own feet) wasn’t in the box... seriously 🤨

Did they not complain that there were no feet included either!? Honestly, some people are just DIM!

4 hours ago, Lewis said:

I won an item a few weeks ago, bargain price I thought... Messaged the seller to collect it, heard nothing, a week later I messaged again and they said they wanted more money and cancelled the item! 😒

Good grief Lewis - that is appalling behaviour. I am guessing that you reported them.

Still nothing back from Madam regarding the return - I have messaged to say that she needs to offer the full amount through the returns procedure otherwise they will be hounding her to complete it. Also, I am hoping that enable me to generate a pre-paid returns label.

OK, so it was 'too early' for ebay to step in, so I sent her a repeat message reminding that she had to offer the full refund via the return process (not by message) and she's now done that. Just waiting for the returns label to come through. Shan't consider it closed until the refund is in my account.

Why do people have to make things so difficult?

I've not bought much on eBay but I have bought two Chinese rosewood dining sets that I was thrilled with the price and quality (why did I need a second you might ask as first set is now in the garage, it's complicated). I did buy a cupboard where the seller asked for cash when I arrived to collect and I nearly forgot I'd already paid by PayPal, took an hr for me to 'prove' I'd paid. The aggro tainted the cupboard and it smelt of smoke, so I gave the cupboard away to  a charity and kept my ikea cupboard. On balance I think I've done well on my furniture purchases. Last lot of sellers were lovely, they helped us load the van, made us a cup of tea and when I sent a pic of dining set in situ to them to say how pleased we were with it they sent a lovely message back.

I've never sold anything and the hit and miss of collectors when I freecycle anything puts me off adding a commercial element.

Hope you get your shoes sorted DM, your feet must be tiny, 1/2 size would make quite a difference

One person I bought from wanted cash on collection but it had already been paid via ebay after I'd won the bid.  I did try to stop it, but then it's to protect the seller I guess.  Cash probably also means ebay doesn't get as much out of it.  Unless it has the zero cash on collection thing at the end of the session?  Thingy wotsit dunno!  But that was an old lady running a bit of a curiosity shop - like stepping back in time!  Another was an antique shop.  Sadly the sewing machine had the lock destroyed probably with a crowbar to see what was inside.  A beautiful walnut casing with super inlaid pattern, the machine itself was quite old with mother of pearl roses - beautiful.  If they knew anthing about machines they'd only need a screwdriver to unlock them!  But mostly mine have either been as a result of a charity sale or the sad event of someone's elderly relative passing on.  It's nice to know the previous owner because the sewing machines are named after them and they come with interesting histories.  One I took my mum for a joy ride as it wasn't far from her - turned out to be a huge manor house that usually opens it's garden to the public.  It was just out of season, but we were invited to wander around the grounds - a private viewing!  

K - ebay advises that using PayPal for collection doesn't mean that they are covered by PayPal's guarantees. I only read this recently

Willow - I take a small size 3!

I buy and sell a fair amount on Ebay (in phases) and rarely have any issue, just hit a cluster recently. I am now waiting for the seller to work out how to generate a returns label .

I've paid by my credit card as a guest, so I'm guessing the credit card would step in if there was a dispute.  But I've only had one person courier it - and I was having kittens - only one bump and the iron could be broken.  But they packaged it so well - and crated it all.  Snug as a bug in a rug - but I wouldn't do that again - the nerves!!!!!