ajm200

Caught Mr ‘I don't want or like chickens’ out

After lunch he just happened to mention that the chickens like grapes.  Asked “How did you find that out?  They’ve only had chicken food so far.”  He replied “I gave them a couple of leftover old grapes”.  I frowned and said “From the brand-new box?” He muttered something and wandered off.

Later he mentioned they like apples too.  Supposedly they got a bit that accidentally fell in the floor as he was eating it 🤔. Crumbly things apples 😂

Hr just asked if I think they’ll be awake at 5am when he’s off to the airport.  Seems he bought bacon for a sandwich and wondered if they’d like the scraps.  Told him they are not having meat scraps and he looked disappointed.  

Think he’s a secret fan 😉

Edited by ajm200
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, AndyRoo said:

Rich 'doesn't like chickens' either. Except when he's holding them and petting them and feeding them corn. lol

Sounds like my hubby last time we had chickens.  If he was outside he was usually carrying one but he didn’t like them then either.  He took us back to the poultry breeder a few weeks after we got 3 hybrids to get more simply because he needed more eggs to give away to colleagues.  He worked in a team of 4 but we suddenly had 9 hybrids 🤔

Edited by ajm200
  • Haha 1

Yeah, Rich 'sells' our excess eggs where he works (£1 per box for a charity donation. We managed to raise £300 last year). We've got 8 hens now, although they're middle aged for hybrids, so they're laying less and less. I told him I'd wait until the numbers have been reduced significantly before getting any more.

The best layer we had was our White Star, although she has produced a lot fewer eggs over the last year. The first year and a half we had her, we had an egg nearly every day. I'm definitely going to get more Leghorn types when the time comes.

They’ve dropped him in it in his absence.  He’s away on a business trip and they haven’t had any ‘human food’ treats. After a couple of hours of ‘neglect’ they’ve been tapping on the patio door to get attention and beg for treats. I’ve been out there a lot but using the kitchen door.  Hubby always uses the patio door they are tapping on

I’ve never fed them at the door. Busted!! 😂

38E86928-5C6C-45C1-9F23-9F447B3A07D6.jpeg

21 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

Yeah, Rich 'sells' our excess eggs where he works (£1 per box for a charity donation. We managed to raise £300 last year). 

That’s brilliant!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ajm200 said:

They’ve dropped him in it in his absence.  He’s away on a business trip and they haven’t had any ‘human food’ treats. After a couple of hours of ‘neglect’ they’ve been tapping on the patio door to get attention and beg for treats. I’ve been out there a lot but using the kitchen door.  Hubby always uses the patio door they are tapping on

I’ve never fed them at the door. Busted!! 😂

38E86928-5C6C-45C1-9F23-9F447B3A07D6.jpeg

That’s brilliant!

Awww. So cute!

Yeah, we pick a few different charities each year. Last year we picked a local food bank, a woman's shelter, and a homeless charity to split the pot. This year we're supporting a local charity which helps survivors of sexual abuse and another charity that helps prisoners with rehabilitation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ha!!!!

Andy - Leghorns or Leghorn mix hybrids are great layers, large eggs, but are inclined to get egg tackle problems because of this. Just something to be aware of.

ajm200 - just don't let them have too many treats, and definitely no human, processed food (especially bread). Their layers rations need to make up 98% of their food each day, with just a little dark greens later in the day.

8 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

don't let them have too many treats,

I don’t. 😊  Their ‘treats’ from me are just a tablespoon of course poultry meal with about a teaspoon of grated carrot or broccoli/cabbage stem on top in tiny bits. It’s different as the main feed is pellets. The children are well trained not to feed them junk too. Just hubby to get the msg.  Treats are given at dusk after they have filled up for the night. Think hubby has been giving mainly fruit.  He’ll soon stop when he gets to scrub the coir mat they are standing on