ajm200

How I’m Spending my day

I’m sat out in the greenhouse with 6 chickens playing referee.  Not the warmest day for it.

As they are all somewhere new and unsettled the pecking is minimal.  The greenhouse is so much bigger than the cube run and warmer!  They have enough space to avoid each other and escape any pecking 

Coffee, kindle and lavender to scatter to hide the chicken smell.  Just need a heater now.  The littlest chickens are hiding with me

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I stayed for 3 hours and waited it was just an odd peck.  They quickly learnt that I’d grab them for cuddles The greenhouse was warm and I had peace and quiet.  Rare in a house with kids on a snow day!  Think I may be slightly nuts though 😂

Carried 5 of the chickens to the greenhouse again today.  The last one, who is working towards being in charge, decided she didn’t like being left behind on her own, hopped onto the cube roof and flew after me.   Didn’t realise she could fly 50ft just above the ground. 😳I’m not used to little chickens.  We always had hybrids with the aerodynamics of a rock.  Reluctant to clip wings as they free-range and we live across from a forest so foxes and birds of prey are a problem 

Ahh.  Great place to be in the cold weather if the sun is shining.   I’d happily chill in mine with a book if I could get away with it and it wasn’t full of noisy hens.  

My duck jumped up onto a shelf to get picked up and taken back tonight.  She is the one who followed this morning too.  Think one taste of a freezing cold bum and legs when she landed tail deep in snow this am put her off snow for life. 

• Haha 1

Looks like moving them to the greenhouse in an attempt to get them to bond worked.  There’s still the odd peck but it’s all noiseless and a bit half-hearted. 

Tonight i I put them back into the cube earlier and left the door open so then went down to the cube run.  They  seemed to just ignore each other with no obvious spite.

At sundown, as anticipated, they all made it into the cube except Misty the timid, narcoleptic chicken.  She didn’t even try.  Out came all three older chickens who showed her what to do over and over again then her little friend came out to roost on the floor with her.  

Duck, adopting the role of mother hen came out and unsettled them then went back in and watched through the door.  The little ones jumped onto a perch and settled.  Duck came out and pecked their feet then got in the perch and pushed them towards the ladder.  Pearl took the hint and went in but Misty didn’t.  Duck pushed her along the perch and onto the ladder but Misty fell off.  Duck sat in the run watching me so, in my role as adopted human head-chicken who has been tucking them in via the nest box at dusk,  I crawled in and dumped Misty on the ladder until she got it.  When I left the run Duck went to bed.

So sweet to watch them all teach the babies then watch the lead hen’s  mothering instinct take over to ensure the whole flock were safe 😍

Edited by ajm200