The Dogmother

Photos - can you help?

An appeal to Omleteers.... I am updating some training notes, and could really do with some good chicken photos, mainly (but not exclusively) of chicken problems, so lice, mites, red mites in housing, moulting, scaly leg mites, prolapse... you get the idea. Particularly beautiful pics of your chooks (without any problems) are also very welcome.

Would you be happy for me to use them in my notes? I can credit you if required. I tend to be using the same old photos, which I have saved and could really do with some good, fresh ones.

Many thanks in advance :-D

I don't know about their ailments, but you can probably find some photos over at: Pixabay.com, Pexels.com and Unsplash.com. All 3 of those sites off content under CC0 image licensing which means you can use any of the photos royalty free for personal or commercial use, and you're allowed to edit them too.

I hope that helps at least with some of them. :)

1. Very poorly pekin just before she died from unspecified ‘chickenitis’ which didn’t respond to antibiotics or wormers.

2, 3 and 4 Pekin chick dead in shell

5. Plymouth Rock bantam dead - I think she suffocated from excess mucus in her airway caused by a respiratory infection that didn’t respond to antibiotics but didn’t affect her flockmates.

6 and 7. Sablepoot cockerel healthy after he’d been here a couple of weeks, and stressed and unhealthy when he first arrived - bought at auction.

8. Healed or congenital toe abnormality / injury - causes the above Sablepoot cockerel no problems

9. Moulting pekin bantam

Only found one “poorly” chicken picture. Turned out she had infected ovaries in the end, but you can see a purple comb. The other picture is of a different but healthy hen.

Do have a (not so great picture) of a VERY broody hen. Although I guess you would have plenty of those yourself. 😉

DCFC6DE8-3956-4468-AC5D-2CCA0CF7D349.jpeg

F6D6F229-BCAA-4D0C-95E8-AC5F83A98607.jpeg

Lovely photos Dutchy :)

Mullethunter, did you treat your cockerel with anything in particular to improve his condition?

40 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Mullethunter, did you treat your cockerel with anything in particular to improve his condition?

No I don’t think I did. I can’t entirely remember but I think only the two Plymouth Rocks who were in together at that time had antibiotics. I did put Life-guard poultry tonic in his water though and he was eating marriages growers pellets. Those photos of him are about 2 months apart but he looked much better with more normal eyes and better colour face within about 3 weeks.

Edited by mullethunter

Would you like photos of an extra long beak that fell off, the contents of Gemma's crop operation or an xray of a whole chicken ?

18 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

Would you like photos of an extra long beak that fell off, the contents of Gemma's crop operation or an xray of a whole chicken ?

Absolutely!! That would be brilliant. Thanks :)

14 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Absolutely!! That would be brilliant. Thanks :)

OK, will sort them out for you a bit later tonight if I can.