The Dogmother

Photos - can you help?

An appeal to Omleteers.... I am updating some training notes, and could really do with some good chicken photos, mainly (but not exclusively) of chicken problems, so lice, mites, red mites in housing, moulting, scaly leg mites, prolapse... you get the idea. Particularly beautiful pics of your chooks (without any problems) are also very welcome.

Would you be happy for me to use them in my notes? I can credit you if required. I tend to be using the same old photos, which I have saved and could really do with some good, fresh ones.

Many thanks in advance :-D

I don't know about their ailments, but you can probably find some photos over at: Pixabay.com, Pexels.com and Unsplash.com. All 3 of those sites off content under CC0 image licensing which means you can use any of the photos royalty free for personal or commercial use, and you're allowed to edit them too.

I hope that helps at least with some of them. :)

1. Very poorly pekin just before she died from unspecified ‘chickenitis’ which didn’t respond to antibiotics or wormers.

2, 3 and 4 Pekin chick dead in shell

5. Plymouth Rock bantam dead - I think she suffocated from excess mucus in her airway caused by a respiratory infection that didn’t respond to antibiotics but didn’t affect her flockmates.

6 and 7. Sablepoot cockerel healthy after he’d been here a couple of weeks, and stressed and unhealthy when he first arrived - bought at auction.

8. Healed or congenital toe abnormality / injury - causes the above Sablepoot cockerel no problems

9. Moulting pekin bantam

Only found one “poorly” chicken picture. Turned out she had infected ovaries in the end, but you can see a purple comb. The other picture is of a different but healthy hen.

Do have a (not so great picture) of a VERY broody hen. Although I guess you would have plenty of those yourself. 😉

DCFC6DE8-3956-4468-AC5D-2CCA0CF7D349.jpeg

F6D6F229-BCAA-4D0C-95E8-AC5F83A98607.jpeg

40 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Mullethunter, did you treat your cockerel with anything in particular to improve his condition?

No I don’t think I did. I can’t entirely remember but I think only the two Plymouth Rocks who were in together at that time had antibiotics. I did put Life-guard poultry tonic in his water though and he was eating marriages growers pellets. Those photos of him are about 2 months apart but he looked much better with more normal eyes and better colour face within about 3 weeks.

Edited by mullethunter

I’m not sure if it’s too late for you but attached is a pic of my poor girl’s droppings riddled with tapeworms.  She was treated by the vet with Praziquantel dog wormer which kept them under control but never got rid of them totally. 

The other is a pic which the vet sent to me of a couple of tapeworm segments under the microscope, which shows the thousands of eggs inside each one!

I also have a video of the tapeworm segments in action if you need it, but make sure you’ve eaten first! 

Hope it helps.

E0D0EB49-B374-4E4E-AF92-265F68A4013C.png

89BC2135-00D8-4F9A-9526-AB0F5E9203AA.png

Edited by Dolly
Changed photo

51 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

This is the contents of Gemma's crop having eaten the Dengie Freshbed and needing an operation to empty it.

Wondering if that’s what we have atm.  Is it chopped straw/hemp that pings like cheap pine disinfectant?  Worried now 

Dolly Thankyou so much. That perfectly answers my ongoing question about the type of worms at least two of my girls have. One of them is now 6 and a half years old and she’s had the tapeworms for at least 3 years. I’ve recently sent a sample off to the chicken vet so hopefully that’ll be completely conclusive and they’ll suggest a treatment.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:14 PM, ajm200 said:

Wondering if that’s what we have atm.  Is it chopped straw/hemp that pings like cheap pine disinfectant?  Worried now 

Yes, it was like that I'm afraid.

My girls were just unlucky.

I did actually end up with 2 girls within days of each other with the same problem. It cost me a lot to get fixed but was worth it. Gemma is still here today aged 6 and a half.

I did love the Dengie Freshbed and the smell kept the flies away but unfortunately my Pekins ate it.

This led to impacted crops and no matter how much massaging I did, the lumps just would not budge. It was like clay and just changed shape.

I wrote to Dengie Freshbed but they said they couldn't be responsible for them eating it but they did send me my money back.

@Luvachicken  grabbed each of the girls and checked their crops.  Nothing yet but they aren’y laying and are still fussy about what they eat.  I know they’ll get less picky when they lay.  

Will talk to hubby about changing it out as we have to put slabs down to stop the flipping rat who has worked out where the girls moved to and started tunnelling in.  We had hoped to wait until the run had moved but with losing my brother and so much time tied up in sorting everything out the run is staying put for now