redhotchick

Bumblebees in my garage

Hi, my garage is attached to the house with a door into the kitchen, which we rarely use, and doors onto the front and back garden. Going through the garage is the only way to get a wheelie bin out. 

I spotted a couple of bees and I've kept out of their way. Earlier I brought the wheelie bin through from the front to the back to fill, dodging the bees.  There seem to be more of them now and I'm wetting myself about getting the bin back out (can I say that?!)  it's green bin day tomorrow.

I've come in to let them calm down, but started googling and one thing I read said there could be 400 of them! I definitely don't want to disturb them! It also said I should count myself lucky! 

I don't want to harm them and know they will die out come autumn, but what am I going to do meanwhile! (cover up and make a dash for it!)

I cant get a picture of them. They are constantly in flight. My ancient plum and cherry trees should be well pollinated this year!! x x

Are they bees or proper bumblebees? Bumblebees aren’t as territorial as bees and hardly ever sting unless they are really threatened.  I know they can sting as I had one fly into my motorcycle suit last year... but it only started to sting when I started to feel around what was tickling me. I wouldn’t worry to much about them and just let them bee. 😉

They are definitely some kind of bumble bee. Enormous fluffy things! I can't get a good look at them though. 

I will leave them 'bee'! no intention of disturbing them, but I am going to have to do a quick dash with my wheelie bin!

3 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

Can't you put the bin out tonight once it is a bit darker and colder ?

They should be calmer later on.

That's what I'm hoping! x x

If they have ginger thoraxes then they will be tree bumblebees (not native) and they have guards on duty and are quite aggressive. They will last about 6 weeks but the colony never gets very big.  Other than that normal bumble bees are quite polite and as long as you move slowly they will check you out but won't do anything and soon ignore you.  Spend some time watching them as I'm sure they get to know you aren't a threat.  I used to hang the washing out with bumble bees around my knees!  Just think how many bees are disturbed by animals - they never get stung while walking through meadows, so just imagine you are in a nice breezy meadow and trundle through like a horse!  ;)

• Haha 1