Leicester_H

whatsapp without smart phone???

OK - I must be the last person in the world NOT to have a smart phone but .... (I haven't needed one, until now!). I have a basic mobile for occasional/emergency use only.

Now everything is closed, a group of friends is setting up a whatsapp group to keep in touch.

Is there a way of using this on a laptop/desktop PC running windows ?

Thanks in advance, H

It seems that you can Hazel - see this link https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1054371/whatsapp-for-pc-windows-mac-how-to-download-whatsapp

I refuse to use whatsapp too, partly because of the grammatical error, but mainly because I just don't need to have constant updates (anti-social) so I ask folks to just text or ring me. It is with pain that I've had to embrace facebook for my freelance work.

I had a basic phone and upgraded it by buying a second hand iphone and use only pay as you go on it.   It lhen lets you use whatsapp. You can then put whatsapp on your laptop or desktop but phone needs to be switched on to use it.   Its really good for keeping in touch with all the family quickly.   I bought it from secondhand phones to you I think it was called and took it to the vodaphone shop to get the sim card transferred as its a small sim card and it cost me nothing to do that.  Will upgrade to another one via them again as has been trouble free since I bought it.   I have no use for the expensive new ones at all.    Have had phone for about 3 years - I rarely use it, get free calls all day and evening on landline anyhow but its useful as can get emails, messenger and whatsapp on it!.  And my kindle books too!!

Yes, I’ve done the same.  I’m finding social media invaluable in these unusual times.  Using FB, a whole town network of neighbourhood  coordinators has been set up, 15,000 leaflets with information on how to get help, who delivers online etc has been set up.  I’m able to keep in touch with family, friends etc, whilst also amusing ( and educating) myself on all sorts of things. This is social media at its best.   

• Like 1