Bluebell1985

Wire mesh supplier

I'm looking to build a run rather than buying a premade one. I've opted for a wooden structure rather than pre fabricated metal. Can anyone reccommend a supplier for quality (rigid) wire mess or a suitable alternative?

This is relatively new to me so structural advice is very much appreciated 

Many thanks.  

Hills of Devon are very good suppliers of weldmesh.

Make sure that yo use good quality tanalised timber, and create a skirt around the bottom of the panels. Lay the housing and run on a slabbed or concrete base and then put slabs over the top of that skirt. The run will need clear, waterproof roofing - bear in mind that it is best to have mesh panels under this too.

13 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Hills of Devon are very good suppliers of weldmesh.

Make sure that yo use good quality tanalised timber, and create a skirt around the bottom of the panels. Lay the housing and run on a slabbed or concrete base and then put slabs over the top of that skirt. The run will need clear, waterproof roofing - bear in mind that it is best to have mesh panels under this too.

Thanks very much for your reply. Is weldmesh strong enough? I've had a look on the website and its on a roll. For some reason unbeknownst to me I had the impression that I needed the heavy duty stuff that's rigid and comes in panels. Am I wrong?

We are in the middle of building a double walk in run, belts and braces job with the weldmesh as we live out in the country.  Ours was from Ultimate One Online, as it was the best price and is 16 gauge on a roll.  It has an apron all around which is being earthed over and then stone placed on top.  Glad we now have plenty of time to finish it!

IMG_1667.JPG

23 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

There used to be a sticky on here, before the forum restructure, called Walk-in Run Inspiration. it showed photos of members' runs and was excellent for help and ideas; someone may know where it ended up and pipe up.

I wondered where that sticky had gone, I was looking for it before we began this run. It had some great photos.

We bought a second roll of weld mesh from a local supplier in the UK. The first, after 10 years, is still in perfect condition, the second after 3 years has rusted badly to the extent that the remainder of the roll is scrap. Simply not worth using it. The problem is the thickness of the zinc protection. 'Zinc plated' is no good, even though it is cheaper, it needs to be 'hot dip galvanised' which could be twice the price. Something to watch for Patricia.