Leicester_H

Car batteries - might be worth charging

Dear all,

Since giving up work, I only use my car for short local journeys (I do less than 1000miles a year!). Consequently, the battery never gets a real charge, so I usually connect it to a mains charger every 4-6 weeks.Just overnight is enough but most chargers continue to trickle charge batteries, once they are fully charged to maintain them - so I leave it connected until the next time I need to drive it.

Just thinking that now people are driving less (like me), it might be a good idea to do as I do to ensure car will start when you need it -just a suggestion.

H

• Like 1

My tax was due on 31st March and insurance runs out on 14th April but I have SORN my car now. If we need to use a car then we use which OH's is much nicer and newer then my Skoda skip......which only does around 1000k pa anyway on the very rare occasions that OH is away o/n - as we live in a village there is the very odd time when need it but not often.

It's easy to unSORN and re insure and simply not worth having it sitting in the garage unused but paid for!

We only use our car for short journeys generally; 3Km to town and back. The problem we encountered was repeated starting discharged the battery which wouldn't then charge back on the return trip. Subsequently the battery appeared to fail and another was bought. However once recharged it worked perfectly. Problem with our car is the battery can't be charged without disconnecting the terminals which then means resetting the windows, clock, CD and steering. Problem was resolved by leaving the engine running during a short stop, which is going to be very risky in UK but not so much down here. There is no car tax or Sorn here and insurance/ recovery is paid monthly by direct debit with a 1 year contract.

My dad's battery failed last week; he hardly uses it anyway and had been taking it round the block occasionally to keep it charged - it's not long enough at all. I hope that mine will be OK - I use my car, but no long journeys at the moment... just to take the hounds out to the fields and woods where we can walk without seeing folks, or to the supermarket. I have a big diesel engine, so it takes quite a charge to start it.

Had to go to the chemist today, on the straight lanes where I can see, I sort of floored Geronimo.  He is a good little pick-up, but I used to charge it up when I had to go up the A303 to my mum's.  Last time I did that was over a month ago.  Still a full tank of petrol when I came home and topped it up!