Leicester_H

Flour for bread making - what's so special ?

I use 00 flour for my pizza bases but as they’re pretty flat anyway and are ‘sogged’ a bit by the toppings and crunchy around the edges I would use plain if that was all I had - I wouldn’t expect it to be exactly the same though.

I tried to make croissant dough with plain flour and it was a total fail - dough structure just wasn’t strong enough to hold the butter and it all leaked out. Tried it with string flour and perfect - up until then I hadn’t really believed it made a difference. 

If you need to make bread and have only plain flour make soda bread

350g plain flour (I use a mix of plain white & wholemeal depending on what odds and ends of flour I have)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

285ml buttermilk (or sour milk, or mix milk & plain yogurt, or fresh milk with some vinegar or lemon juice added to sour it)

Mix dry ingredients, add liquid, mix together into a ball of dough, if sticky add some more flour.

knead for couple mins, form into a flattened ball and place on a greased and floured baking tray

using a sharp knife cut a cross right across the dough almost to the bottom

180C for 30mins

On 4/28/2020 at 2:38 PM, mullethunter said:

I use 00 flour for my pizza bases but as they’re pretty flat anyway and are ‘sogged’ a bit by the toppings and crunchy around the edges 

My pizzas were always a little soggy in the middle until I started sprinkling a little bit of semolina on the baking tray first - crisp all the way to the middle now 😀

5 hours ago, soapdragon said:

If you make pizza fairly regularly it may well be worth investing in a baking stone and baking the pizza directly on the pre heated stone. We have one because OH makes sourdough but it's brilliant for pizzas too.

Be careful what kind you buy.

We bought a stone thing from Lakeland but it absolutely stank when in use - and afterwards.

We ended up taking it back because I really couldn't stand the smell and Lakeland, being Lakeland  were very good and gave us our money back :clap:

On 5/4/2020 at 3:51 PM, rachel84 said:

My pizzas were always a little soggy in the middle until I started sprinkling a little bit of semolina on the baking tray first - crisp all the way to the middle now 😀

I use stones with semolina on and they are always crisp and never stick. I meant that it wouldn’t matter if your bases weren’t perfect if you had to use normal plain flour 👍🏻

Heard a recipe for potato bread on the radio this afternoon....sounded nice! As I was listening with only half an ear I missed the actual proportions but plan to have a Google and see what comes up. Apparently it's quite dense and so soaks up loads of butter when toasted........