Heatherlou

Eglu go, classic, greenfrog, Solway or arkus?

Hi,

im not sure this is the best forum to ask this but I’m just looking for advice or if anyone would recommend one over the other etc? 

I have a wooden coop but really want to get one that’s less prone to mites! 

I have been looking at eglu go, classic, greenfrog, Solway and arkus and I just get more confused!

I have 3 chickens

Advice and recommendations welcome 😊

I only have direct experience of the classic and greenfrog.  Both are very good, I would say its a matter of personal choice.  However, where the classic wins out for me is the original run (ie not a walk in run), it is strong and lasts a long time (as does the house), whereas I am not sure the greenfrog does anything similar.  In fact, my friend used to use my spare run with her greenfrog.  I have used a Go, but I know people on here have much deeper experience of it than me so I will leave them to comment.

• Like 1

I dithered choosing between Green Frog and an Omlet house. In the end I went to visit the maker in Dorset on the way back from a family holiday. ( I was mighty popular with my three, tired children!!). I liked the fact that Green Frog uses recycled plastic and all the products are manufactured there in Dorset. I also really liked the separate nesting boxes and the perches. However, I thought the insulation on the Omlet products was probably a good idea, and (superficial person that I am) I greatly preferred the 'look' of the Omlet products. In the end, the decision was made for me as I managed to get a second-hand Classic with run. I've only had it three weeks but am really delighted with how easy it is to clean, how comfy the chickens seem and how nice it is to look at!

In Omlet terms, I have used a friend's Go Up and at school I use a Cube, and I don't like either as much as the Classic.

• Like 1

I have two classics and two Mk 1 cubes.  No contest.  The cubes are SO much easier to clean than the classic.  And as I have bantams, they are so much happier being able to roost on perches in the run.  They felt unsafe in the Classic I think.  But you choose the one that suits your circumstances best 

• Like 1

I know others really don’t like the Go, and I can understand their criticisms, but my main issue with it is that the chickens don’t seem all that happy sleeping at ground level. So although I think the Classic is probably a great house, I wouldn’t have one for that reason. I kept 4 bantams in a Go for a couple of years and they were fine, but they hate it if they ever have to temporarily go back to it. For that reason I’d go for a second hand mark one cube if you can find one and have the space, or a Go Up if you need something small.

The only thing I don’t like about the Cube is that I don’t think it’s particularly attractive. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies, it’s much appreciated! 

I have 3 chickens and we are having a walk in run built. I don’t think we will have more than 3 chickens, well not for a few years anyway. I don’t have a huge garden but I want something comfy for my chickens and easy to maintain for us and my children too 😊 

I did like the fact that the go up was obviously off the ground! Good for the chickens and good for our backs too 😊

Its such a confusing decision. 

I go from thinking I have made up my mind to then changing it again! 

Edited by Heatherlou

I agree about the fact that having the classic on the ground seems wrong. My two don't seem to mind I do and as soon as I have persuaded my husband to build me a walk-in-run ( 🤞), I aim to have the Classic on a table/shelf in the run. Something like this picture, but with space to remove the dropping tray at the back (which this, oddly, doesn't seem to have).

image.png.d330a3bbe62d4b39d47137fd82666440.png

Or I might have the table/support outside the run for ease of access? Still planning that one ...

• Like 2

That looks good - very similar to one they were building up at Cotswold Chickens when I went up there at the weekend!

With the Classic, it is easier to have it inside the run, although it can be attached form the outside. The Cube mark 1 is usually attached from the outside for access and ease of cleaning.

I'll be watching out for photo of what you decide to get made :)