Danielashby

Pls name this breed

Hi I'm new to the forum and new to looking after chickens, in March we decided to get some. Chicken s for the garden we bought 6 in total each one a different breed. One chicken we have is supposed to be a silver lace but I'm pretty sure it isn't, not that it matters really but I would like to know what breed we have. If NY one can help it would be great.

Thanks

link below

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-h3R5o-F9SDpZTKQ2Z66Gn8kRi9_8GE5/view?usp=drivesdk

Boy, all boy, I'm afraid. And not fully grown.  When he finds his voice he will be noisy, and yes, there is a very good chance they will fight.  You might get away with it over the winter/until he matures, but the Spring will be unpleasant unless you are very lucky.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Danielashby said:

Thank you for the replies do you really think she is a rooster?  We've already got one and hes starting to get very noisy don't think we could have two because of the neighbours and would they fight?  

I’m not often this certain about it, but this is definitely a cockerel.

• Thanks 1

That's not great news, she is so gentle as well, I know she looks quite mean but she is the absolute opposite, I'd still like to keep him but that's gonna depend on the neighbours. I have been looking on the net at anti crow collars but was wondering do that actually work and do they cause any pain to the them, because the last thing I want to hurt Hilda. I will keep the name even though she is now a he. 

On 11/11/2020 at 8:34 AM, Beantree said:

Wyandotte cockerel. Lovely legs and feet. There are a lot of different colours to this breed and he may be a cross of two or more. The chest feathering is the best guide.

The legs and feet are huge it's quite funny how Hilda moves a little bit like someone in flippers

I imagine an anti-crow collar could cause problems with swallowing food and will be a big irritation on the neck feathers, so not something I'd fit. Unfortunately we are a bit far from you to re-home your boy, but Wyandottes are very gentle and very good with their hens in our experience, so I hope someone will give him a place to live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Danielashby said:

. I have been looking on the net at anti crow collars but was wondering do that actually work and do they cause any pain to the them,

I'm pretty certain these are illegal to use in the UK.

I hope he turns out to be a she but your chook does look pretty big and feisty to me.

I'm in Leicester hopefully I can keep him but if not I'm sure. There is someone near me that will take him. Also good news today I got my first egg 😃 

6 hours ago, Beantree said:

I imagine an anti-crow collar could cause problems with swallowing food and will be a big irritation on the neck feathers, so not something I'd fit. Unfortunately we are a bit far from you to re-home your boy, but Wyandottes are very gentle and very good with their hens in our experience, so I hope someone will give him a place to live.

I also thought it may be restrictive so I think I'll give it a miss, I personally don't mind the early wake up call, so it's really down to the neighbours, where do I stand legally if they complain about him? 

2 hours ago, Danielashby said:

where do I stand legally if they complain about him? 

The normal way it goes it that they would complain to the council who would get them to fill in a log of the times he was noisy. Then possibly the noise levels would be measured with a decibel monitor, and if allowable limits were breached the council would issue you with an order to effectively get rid of him.

In reality I think this usually creates so much bad feeling between neighbours that most people would not keep a cockerel if their neighbours were unhappy about it, and as he’s likely to crow from around 4am in the summer most people won’t be happy about it!

Harry my other cockerel is already crowing at 4 am ill speak to the neighbours and ask them if it is disturbing them, luckily we get on so hopefully they will tell us straight rather than saying oh no its fine but really thinking I hate that bird. 

39 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

The normal way it goes it that they would complain to the council who would get them to fill in a log of the times he was noisy. Then possibly the noise levels would be measured with a decibel monitor, and if allowable limits were breached the council would issue you with an order to effectively get rid of him.

In reality I think this usually creates so much bad feeling between neighbours that most people would not keep a cockerel if their neighbours were unhappy about it, and as he’s likely to crow from around 4am in the summer most people won’t be happy about it!

• Like 1