mullethunter

What’s this?!

Well day 21 is not until Thursday. I’ve never noticed eggs moving this early before though so I’m wondering if they might be a bit early.

I’ve been running the incubator ‘dry’ with a relative humidity of around 30% so I think I’ll add a little water now and will then ‘lockdown’ and really increase the humidity tomorrow - a day early.

Come on little cheeps!!!

• Like 1

Blimey - things are never easy are they?! What a stressful 24 hours that was! 

After the chick above hatched - we waited. Of the other two eggs one had already pipped 5 hours previously and the other pipped as the first was hatching (around lunchtime on Wednesday).

By bedtime on Wednesday still nothing from the other two and they hadn’t rocked much at all or cheeped. We went to bed fearing the worst. Obviously I hardly slept and when I went down to check in the middle of the night, still nothing.

But then when I got up yesterday morning, the one that had pipped at lunch time was half way through unzipping!! It took a couple of hours but eventually hatched unaided and seemed perfectly healthy blundering around the incubator. Once it was out I quickly whipped the first chick out of the incubator (literally took seconds - it had been in there fluffing up for around 24hrs and I assumed the remaining egg wasn’t going to hatch) and took it to the brooder box. By the time I got back to the incubator - maybe 5 minutes at the absolute most - the chick that had just hatched was dead!! It was lying with its head on the midddle bit of the incubator above the water holder. Absolutely gutted!!! No idea what happened but it’s head was really floppy as if it’s neck was broken. Could not believe it. 
Anyway - as I took the dead chick out I noticed a tiny bit of movement from the last egg which by this point had pipped well over 24 hours ago. So I made sure the humidity was OK and left it there. It made a slightly bigger hole so you could see it’s beak breathing but that was it. I didn’t think it would make it so I just left it and went out for the afternoon fully expecting it to be dead when I got home.

It wasn’t though! I got home at about 6pm and it was still cheeping away but hadn’t moved to get out of the shell at all. Now over 36hrs from pipping. So I did what I know is a bad idea and got it out of the shell. It’s navel hadn’t fully healed and did bleed a bit, in fact I thought it would die straight away (I thought it would die if I left it in the shell too though so I thought it was worth a try) - but now nearly 24hrs later it’s still with us and is bouncing around the brooder box with its sibling and 2 same age maran bantam chicks that I managed to source and buy (the wonder of Facebook groups) to keep the first chick company. I’m not sure it’s legs are quite right but it’s getting around and eating and drinking so we’ll give it a chance.

Pics to follow….

Phew 🤯

• Like 3

Well done, that sounds traumatic, but I know in the same circs I would have done the same as you.  My philosophy is that a try at life is probably better than not bothering, but if it becomes clear I made a mistake, then I will cull, I find it easier whilst they are chicks.  However, we are going to be positive.  Come on small bird!

• Like 1

Sorry - busy day!!

All - including little fighter cheep whose crop is so full it looks all lopsided - seem to be doing well 😁 

Here they are…

The brown stripeys are the Barnevelder bantams that I hatched, the black and white are the maran bantams I bought. 

In the one with the two Barnevelders, the one on the left with the crooked toes is the little fighter 😍

EDAB24F4-439C-404C-B035-D06EB6660ACA.jpeg

A8987CD9-5149-441F-9F5B-C6FE37EF3CCD.jpeg

28102718-132A-4F85-9612-249FB4F34534.jpeg

15E07DD4-B59E-4241-BCFB-8480A2852D90.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mullethunter said:

I wonder if it’s a particular isssue with Barnevelder bantams then. They actually seem to have straightened quite a lot in the last couple of days.

I googled it, but couldn’t find it as a particular issue with the breed. Did find a quite interesting article on possible causes, but it was very Dutch… 🤣

• Haha 1

I know for the marans. The breeder told me they were one boy and one girl and apparently with cuckoo marans the female only has a single barring gene and the male has two so he is quite a bit lighter coloured than her and she is feathering up much more quickly.

Have no idea about the Barnevelders. If I had to guess I’d say one of each but it is really only a guess.